PDA

View Full Version : i'm oncerned,duaghters panicking

i'm oncerned,duaghters panicking

miss_d_meanor
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Can you give some advise please.
i took aalayia out of her tub tonight :eek1:
( after checking her over as she was a bit skittish when her tail was touched which is very unusual for her) . my daughter noticed that down near the bottom of her tail there is a dent just down for her vent and on the other side on her upper side level where the dent is,she has a scrape i dont know how this happend however my daughter said she had caught the end of aalayias tail a couple of weeks ago but never saw anything before. could this be what it is, do we need to do anything should we just leave to heal or should i take her to the vet she doesnst seem stresed ,tho a bit tender ,its oviously annoying her can u advise, i am a lil concerned but my 14 yearold daughter is in a panic thinking she may die!
problem being we have no reptile vet in this area and our nearest is 90 miles away.can you give any advise
hanks in advance

susang
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Has she shed since the possible injury? If so maybe she did not have a complete shed and letting her glide through a wet/damp towel in you hands may help. If she hasn't shed maybe she is going to and the area is sensative to touch. I'm not a big fan of bath for snakes person, but most of mine will get in their water dish and soak, so maybe try a slightly warm bath, or give her a moist hide. susang

Rich in KY
11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
From the way you describe it, it sounds like the tail may have been smashed in some way. I don't think it would be serious. Just something to watch.

The scrape may need some attention. I would suggest using an antibiotic cream on it. This may mean taking out the substrate and only using newspaper or paper towels for a while. This way no substrate gets on the wound.

miss_d_meanor
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi yes, aalayia shed about 3 weeks ago and was a complete shed,but she is looking a lil blue tonight thought it would be a lil early for another shed! but she is growing very fast considering we have only had her 6 weeks she has grew a fair bit,she is normaly orange but is a beautiiful salmon pink tonight i didnt think about snakes being sensitive when they are going into blue!! apart from the dent and the "scrape" she is very active we are quite surprised actualy we just upgraded her to her new terrarium and has not even went near her hide yet, she is on the rampage and checking out every inch and has been doing so for the past hour!
Iris

miss_d_meanor
11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
what kind of anticeptic can i use, are the "human ones" suitable for snake use.
thanks

Rich in KY
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I know here we can use "Neosporin". I am not sure what you have there. Any triple antibiotic ointment should work. Neosporin consist of bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. Other brand names for this mixture include Mycitracin and Topisporin.

Jessicat
11-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi yes, aalayia shed about 3 weeks ago and was a complete shed,but she is looking a lil blue tonight thought it would be a lil early for another shed!

Don't worry, that's a good and natural sign. When snakes are injured they shed more frequently than normal. If the scrape is open I agree, put some Neosporin on it. Can you take a picture? It doesn't sound life threatening, but I am slightly concerned about the "dents". I can't really picture what you're talking about.

Good luck, I hope your snake has a speedy recovery.

Jrgh17
11-15-2007, 05:50 AM
I agree that it doesn't sound life-threatening. At this point, it's more likely that Aalayia will have some scarring (if anything). Neosporin is a great idea. Generic stuff is fine too. Is there any swelling around the area?

I'm not the first to point this out, but a picture would be a big help.

Best of luck!

mele2511
11-15-2007, 07:05 AM
miss_d_meanor youc an use sudacrem .. You know the stuff that is used for nappy rash.. works great

miss_d_meanor
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Sudocrem!! i should have know!the wonder stuff..... so many uses i even used this for my tattos when they were new and healing. Thanks
there is no swelling around the dented area is kinda like when you dig your finger nail in your skin a little not hard but enough to leave the shape of your nail no wound just a lil dint but lack of color there its white
there is no real abrsion o rany kind of wound as such just like a bit skin sticking up a lil i have not seen aalayia today
i have to admit i am apussy! i handle her once out side the viv,my daughter takes her out
so alayia has not been out today becka tells me she was very active last night, drove her to distration lol, we put her in a new tank so she was doing her i am nosey impression looking for new escape routes.
will get photo tomorrow as beck will be home and there wil be 2 of us making it easier

RavenSpirit360
11-17-2007, 02:22 AM
She most likely will be ok just keep an eye on her wound. Good luck :)