PDA

View Full Version : Another regurg :/

Another regurg :/

Pet Corn Snake
11-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Hello, well Damien regurg a few week or month ago, I left him for 10 days, and he was fine, his temps are fine, his humid is fine, his behaviour is the same, he's not refusing to eat, but tonight when i went into change his water, I thought he'd died, the smell was aweful, but it was the regurged half digested mouse, I have been feeding him two small mice rather then the big one he usualy gets because the petstore are out of stock, but his last regurg, the mice was from another shop, so it cant even be bad mice, :/

it's really confused me, the only reason i can think of, is because he gets two rather then one, but is that a possible reason for a regurg?

MerlinsPop
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Can't answer the question, but I wish you luck with him, being that I'm trying to get one beyond a regurge.

Maybe... maybe the 10 days wasn't enough to fully reconstitute the digestive juices. Was this meal of two small mice the first following the regurge? If so, it might have been too much to eat given the reduced 'gut flora' in there for digestion. I've read here that the first meal following a regurge should be a very small snack, half or less in total size than a 'normal' meal for the snake.

Since this is the 2d regurge in a relatively small time, you might look into some of the supplements that people talk about here (grapefruit seed extract, I believe, is one).

Good Luck!

Nanci
11-15-2007, 04:33 PM
If he were my snake, I would take him to a vet for a fecal and Grams stain. Rule out some stuff like parasites or bacterial infection.

Sorry to hear about this, George.

Nanci

RavenSpirit360
11-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Good luck with him and I hope he will be ok.. The vet is a good idea.

Jrgh17
11-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Also, if you either can't get to the vet soon, or whatever, it'd probably be best if you wait the required 10 days to feed (no handling!) and feed a pinkie. Once he's taken a pinkie without regurging (and possibly twice - just to be sure), try a size up. Keep bumping up in size until you get him back to where he should be.

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks, yea, I really think the two mice might just be an over-feed, I'm going to get him the right size mice this week, but i'll feed him a small mice for the first week after the 10 days,

I'm going to start using the munson plan once I get a decent weighing scale :)

The local vets are okay, but not trained in exotics, they said last time they would look at his waste for £30 thats $60, the money is not a problem, but I dont want to spend £30 when it could just be a mistaken over-feed :/

I seriously need to look at this munson plan,

my other snakes get fed the size of there belly, molly every 5 days (shes a baby) and sabrina gets 1-2 a week (shes an adult)

Im pretty sure thats right, from what the petstores have told me, and from what I have read, but please tell me if thats wrong =/ atleast if I'am making a mistake though, they are eating regual and are healthy, so I can easily change there feeding days.

Jessicat
11-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Don't feed two items when your snake is recovering from a regurge. Snakes can handle two food items normally, but it is better to feed them one apropirately sized food item. Two food items are usually just used when bumping a snake up in sized, and even then only two pinks to fuzzies, perhaps two fuzzies. I would never feed a snakes two small mice when bumping up to a larger mouse though, I'd just go strait to the larger mouse.
The smaller sized mouse is right when recovering from a regurge, but only feed him one of them just to get him back on track. Also, can you get Nutribac where you are? I have read that grape seed extract is the same thing, so hopefully you can check a local health food store and find it there.

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Okay thanks, my problem is, I live in the middle of the country, with one reptile shop, thats like an hour away, the local petstore sell's mice, but shes an old lady and everytime i order from her, it takes like 7 weeks for her to remember to place the order, when i last went to the shop she only had smaller then usual mice, so the snakes have had more then 1 mice, I really think my problem is two of the mice I'm feeding him are two big for Damien, so if anyone knows a good, reputable UK website for frozen mice, please share the link, I'm sick of waiting for the right size food from the old lady lol

Tula_Montage
11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
George, sometimes we have to spend money on our pets, no matter how unceccessary it may seem. I spend £100 on a snake after it was already dead! But I also spent £100 on treatment to try and save him.

I have also spent £50 on snakes I presumed were ill but were not. I still have more to take, regardless of them appearing ill or not. When you own pets, you have to be prepared to spend money on vet bills. Damien could start chronically regurging, are you going to chalk it up to bad mice or stress forever? I would take him to the vet for a checkover - and even get them to sex him for you :)

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
like I said, the local vets are not trained in exotics, the local vets will check his waste for £30 but probably wont treat him, when a snake gets ill, it wont eat, it will act funny, and there are many other noticeable effect, but I have checked everything, bare in mind his last regurg was like 2 month ago, so he's had about 8 good feeds since, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure if it was a ill-ness, every meal would be a regurg or refused..?

I seriously just think it was an over-feed, once I get the right sized mice from online, I'm sure he'll be fine,

and you know, I would spend that money on him anyday, he's worth millions too me, but whats the point in spending £30 just to be told by none trained in exotics vets half the truth..

If he has one more regurg, he'll be at the vets that day.

Tula_Montage
11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Windsor (who was dealthy sick) continued to eat through his illness and was very active. I didn't know he was sick at first - and I held off on taking him to the vet and look where that got us. Sorry George, but your facts are not correct. Snakes are EXTREMELY good as showing no indication to whether they are ill or not.

I had 2 of my snakes seen by a non herp vet yesterday (although he has a keen interest in reptiles) and he did the exact same things my herp vet would have. He done a fecal, took swaps to be sent away to labs and prescribed the right drugs. My consultation fee was just £30 cheaper...

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks elle, I'm going to wait and see what happens after this feed, I know damien very well, all his temps and humid are perfectly right, and he has no mites, he is still active, and his poo is not runny, it's just normal, If he regurg's one more time, he will be taken to the vets, but I think he would have regurg before 2 month, 2 month/about 8 feeds is quite a lot of time, and if he was ill I'm sure he would have had more then two regurg in 3 months..
I think I might visit some vet-sites and see if they think I should see a local vet, or speak to someone like KL..

Roy Munson
11-17-2007, 02:15 PM
The only thing I'd like to add is that I don't believe that meal-size was a direct factor in the regurge. I've seen plenty of photos of Damien, some were fairly recent, and he could easily handle two adult mice, especially small ones. If there was something else already wrong, even something minor and non-serious, his ability to take keep the two mice down could have been compromised. But I don't think it was the meal-size alone. Good luck with him, George.

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Roy, it's definitely got me worried thinking about it, I just dont want him labeled with an illness, I nearly cried the first time he regurged,

I'm going to phone a few vets tomorrow, and a few people, see if they have any advise or to see if I should take him in for a checkup :S

oh god, I hope nothings wrong with him..! I could not handle that.

Edit: grrrrrrrrr, its Sunday tomorrow, I think the vets will be closed :starts to worry:

Nanci
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm not saying he's going to continue to regurge- maybe it was just a fluke. But it made me feel better with Maizey to rule out any parasitic/bacterial thing that could be causing the regurges. The vet suspects that he has a physical defect which might be causing him to regurge mice of a size that he _should_ be able to eat. He also says further diagnosis would be extremely expensive and, even if diagnosed, there probably would not be anything that could be done, anyway! Meanwhile, since working Maize up to small adult mice has failed repeatedly, I am now trying him on a diet of multiple fuzzies with good luck so far.

All of which means, rule out the easy to fix stuff, and go from there.

Nanci

Pet Corn Snake
11-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Nanci! :D i'll take a look around his viv, and in 10 days I'll try a complete check on him again :)