• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tiny-ass head syndrome?

lyndy299

Do what with the who now?
My late 05' amel seems to be suffering slightly from what I can only call tiny-ass head syndrome...the head just doesnt fit the body! She had a general feeding plan (the norm) but was a quick grower. I thought she might have grown out of this by now! Shes being fed once a week and isnt overweight. Any idea how long it takes for them to grow out of this or will she always have it?

Strange question, I know.

Thanks!

Typical pet-snake problem. They get to eat way more then in the wild. The skull grows slowest of all and as result they get small heads. I don't know if she'll catch up. In my view the norm is still to much.

You should see some burmese pythons. They get fed a lot to get them to breeding size quick and to keep them well fed and timid. Their heads are tiny.

I've seen the burmese's with the tiny heads, its strange.
Before I moved away for University I worked in a reptile shop, I hardly ever saw tiny-ass head syndrome.
I hope it doesnt affect her too much...
Possibly Im just trying to make questions so I can talk about my animals because I miss them so much....being out of the reptile world can do some strange things to a person....

I'll see what I can pull up. Shes about a 4 hour drive away at the minute but I have some old pictures of her on here. Its not a major problem, just something I notice.

This is an old photo of her looking dull...
PICT0081.jpg

Perhaps the 'a mouse will sustance a snake it's whole life' is partly to blame. Perhaps overfeeding. Perhaps what the feeder mice eat isn't adequate. Perhaps because we don't give them UVB.

Shows there's still much to learn after all.

Your snake is beautiful and the head looks the way it should from this picture. There seems to be a time when my corns have had what looked like a small head, not as hatchling when there head seems big, but more between 1-2 years then they have a mature head and neck size.

Double Het, Corn Snakes do not require UV lighting. My snakes eat a variety of rodents, hamsters, mice and rats, and all have gone through the tiny head syndrome. susang

That would make sense. I was about to get all defensive because I would never, under any circumstances, overfeed. I'm sorry, maybe I hit a nerve. I'm glad someone saw the harmless nature of the question!

She'll be 2 years old in December so we'l see where that takes her....

Thanks.

She looks fine to me! Lila is my snake with the smallest head compared to her body size right now. She's a growing girl! I am always amazed at the size of mice she can get down with that little head.

LilaSheds004_800.jpg

Now this guy has TAH syndrome. This picture just doesn't do him justice, either- it's much worse than it looks!

Mr.Toad022cr800.jpg

Nanci

Don't sweat it too much. This subject has been brought up before, and the speculation has mostly been that it has a lot to do with genetics. I've had snakes that have smaller heads in proportion to their body, and ones that have had larger heads.

One thing that I have thought about.. how long have you had this snake for? I have heard that if a snake is not fed a whole lot in its first year or so (perhaps this is a crucial growth time) it can be harder/ slower to get them to gain weight. Perhaps snakes with smaller heads were not fed quite as oftian as babies. This is just an after thought, I can only think over my own experiences. My first two snakes were fed rather slowly compared to most of the snakes I have now. One of them had a smaller head (but the other had a larger head). I guess that is not conclusive at all, just wanted to throw it out there.

Main point is, don't be too worried (and as perhaps you have already noticed, take double het's advice with a grain of salt). :rolleyes:

Hopefully with a bit more time that head will catch up! Let us know what happens.

:-offtopic
Edit: Nanci, I went to a reptile expo and saw a toad that made me think of your guy! He was more like a big blob. Check for pictures later today, I'm still in the process of editing them.

She looks fine to me! Lila is my snake with the smallest head compared to her body size right now. She's a growing girl! I am always amazed at the size of mice she can get down with that little head.

LilaSheds004_800.jpg

Now this guy has TAH syndrome. This picture just doesn't do him justice, either- it's much worse than it looks!

Mr.Toad022cr800.jpg

Nanci

:laugh01: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I can't wait til Todd, our Woodhouse Toad gets that big. It should be hilarious!

In regards to the topic, it's amazing really the size of prey that snakes can eat. Here's a pic of one of my Axanthic Hoggies who only weighed 7 grams at the time eating the smallest day old pinkie I could find:
DSC_2421-cropped.jpg

It's even more amazing when you see snakes like the African Egg Eating snake or even an Anaconda eating a caiman!

Don't worry, your snake looks fine. I am curious though what you think a "normal" head looks like. :eek:

(Off topic for a sec)

:laugh01: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I can't wait til Todd, our Woodhouse Toad gets that big. It should be hilarious!

You _have to_ get a toad like Olivia- she's the best. I was at some people's house for my birthday, and was telling them about all the new animals I'd gotten since the last time they were over, and I said I'd gotten the toad from Church of Toad of Light, and their 20-something son says "Yeah, Bufo alvarius, Colorado River Toad!" What are the chances of running into some random person who knew her Latin name?? She's a big lap toad.

Nanci

You _have to_ get a toad like Olivia- she's the best. ... She's a big lap toad.

Yeah, I really don't expect Todd to get as big as that, but right now he's so tiny, he'd sit very comfortably on a nickel. I just can't wait til he gets big enough to sit in the palm of my hand, that will be really neat!

I don't even want to show my wife that pic of Olivia, then we'd probably end up having yet another mouth to feed ;)

... and their 20-something son says "Yeah, Bufo alvarius, Colorado River Toad!" What are the chances of running into some random person who knew her Latin name?? She's a big lap toad.
Yeah, that's pretty impressive. He either has a devout interest in herpetology or watched a whole weekend of Animal Planet :D

Normal-sized head!! (To stay on topic) :)

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. He either has a devout interest in herpetology or watched a whole weekend of Animal Planet :D

I think he was more interested in B alvarius for its hallucinogenic properties...

Isn't she magnificent?

Olivia008cr800.jpg

EW! Frogs and toads and stuff! *Shivers with SERIOUS heebie-jeebies* (Meg's worst fear!!! lol)

On topic, your snake looks fine to me, I've seen some with smaller heads even that did just fine. I have one with a rather large head. lol

How's this for a 2 year old with TAHS? He was fed every 6 days for his first year. Every 7 - 14 days after that. I gave him reptile vitamins and calcium supplements.

Don't really know what's going on with him. Susan - you said yours grew out of it? That's good. I keep waiting for his head to fill out.

IMG_3789.jpg

Back