PDA

View Full Version : Pinkie pump

Pinkie pump

kshannon
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a problem eater and I am considering getting a pinkie pump. He hasn't had anything to eat in a month. Where would be the best place to purchase a pinkie pump if needed?

Pretty1234me
11-21-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure what a pinky pump is..but what methods have you tried?

My Bella wouldn't eat when I first got her..I tried a few things..but something that worked for me was (as gross as it seems) cutting the pinky in 3 pieces..she wouldn't eat it otherwise..she almost seemed scared of it. In these forums I've read..about braining the pinky (cutting its head open to have the smell entice the snake), dipping the pinky in chicken broth or tuna water, leaving the pinky with your snake overnight,feeding your snake a the smallest pinky you can find..amm..and several other ways to go about it. Have you possibly tried those?

Anyhow, good luck with your snake, I hope he eats soon.

wade
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
I think the Bean Farm has pumps. They are pretty spendy. Use it only as a last resort. You didn't say how old your snake was. A month is nothing for an adult snake. Baby snakes can't go as long however.

Susan
11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
I had a pinky pump back when I first started breeding, and I even used it a few times. But I hated the darn thing as it was more trouble than anything to even get to work and it was extremely stressful on the hatchling. Personally, if it gets to that stage, just slowly working a whole pinky (or pinky head, mouse tail, whatever) directly down the hatchling's throat is much easier and less stressful to the hatchling. But I don't recommend force feeding unless it's a last resort and everything else has been tried first. Some examples are - live, brained, scented with lizard/chicken/tuna water, washing with soap (Ivory bar is my preference as it's pure soap and unscented), combos of more than one option (washed and then scented, washed and brained, scented and brained), trying a different source of pinkies, paper bag, and taking the hatchling for a drive.