PDA

View Full Version : Very concerned about my corn snake.

Very concerned about my corn snake.

AaronT
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
I have had my corn for a month now and it only eaten once which was the first day I got it. Since then I have tried to feed it on 5 or 6 occasions but has just turned her nose up at any prey offered to her. She was however drinking on regular occasions. As far as I am concerned the setup is 100% correct to the guidelines stated on this forum and many others. She took a dramatic turn for the worse over the space of 24hrs. Yesterday she was moving around as normal and using her hides, today I come home to find her laying on her side and I thought it was dead, however she did turn upright and a short while after that she seemed to be arching as tho she was convulsing. Now there is very little movement at all. I have contacted my main city vets and they told me they don't deal with exotics. If anyone has any ideas that might help me and my snake I would gladly appreciate it.

beaniebopps
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Check online for reptile vets near you. (I'm in NI and theres a couple up here) You might have to drive for a couple hours or so but there are some, and I think its worth taking her to a vet asap. How old is your snake? Did she regurtitate anything at all when convulsing? What are the temperatures and has she been hanging out at the hot or cold spot in particular recently?

diamondlil
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I just checked the herp vet connection site but it doesn't link any Irish vets. Have you tried speaking to the place you got the snake from for advice and find which vet they use?

Rich in KY
11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I agree. This sounds very serious. I think you need vet help immediately.

AaronT
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
How old is your snake?
its about 7 months old i believe.

Did she regurtitate anything at all when convulsing?
No

What are the temperatures and has she been hanging out at the hot or cold spot in particular recently?
78f cold side 85f hot side and didn't seem to have a preferrence.

Have you tried speaking to the place you got the snake from for advice and find which vet they use?
I didnt get there this eveing before closing time, hopefully tomorrow she is still alive and i will ask them what vet they use for their exotics or try find someone somewhere

diamondlil
11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Good luck, hope your snake improves soon

mele2511
11-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Find a vet ASAP.

Also go speak to the person you got the snake from and find out the way they were looking after it. Get as much info as you can. Other thing you can do is have a close look at the food you have been feeding and see if it looks off or has a funny smell to it. Sometime the mice you get from pet shops can be off and this can cause all kinds of problems. May not be the problem but it is worht thinking about.

Ohana
11-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Good Luck with your little one, I think you have gotten good advice and can't really add much to that. So let us know how everything turns out.