• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First time with MITES *sigh*

sandybunny

Bigger house=more snakes!
I just got an okeetee, which I LOVE. Anyway, I thought I had done a thorough job looking it over for mites. Apparently, I couldn't see them because they are kinda clear. I saw them after we got home and the sun was coming through the window while I was examining the snake.
The fun has begun. *sigh* He is quarantined in a totally separate room, but I'm so afraid the mites are going to get to my motley. Wish me luck. :uhoh:

Welcome to my world. My amazon came up with mites...don't even know how he got them. He's been quarantined for 3 months already with no sign of them. Now he's got them.

Welcome to my world. My amazon came up with mites...don't even know how he got them. He's been quarantined for 3 months already with no sign of them. Now he's got them.

That's so strange. I'm curious, what treatment method are you going to use? I did an initial treatment of Reptile Relief. I have also soaked the entire tank in a bleach solution and soaked the snake in water with a drop of soap. It seems to be working, but we'll see. :punch:

i heard that olive oil works well - like a coating on your snake - after giving him a bath for about an hour -- would this be ok ? and let him back into a cleaned out tank with newspaper so you can see any mites that are still about

I had two snakes get mites right when I was first getting into snakes. I used reptile relief and religiously cleaned the tank every week for a few weeks with a weak bleach solution. It worked very well!

Well, I just pulled the substrate I was using.. Switched to paper towel and took to washing the cage every darn day with hot water.. In an effort to be rid of the mites and their eggs.. It took about three monthes of a constant cleaning to get rid of them.. That was about three years ago.. I have no had them since..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

I have switched to paper towel substrate, treating the snake with reptile relief every three days, and cleaning the cage and hides and water dish in a diluted bleach solution. This method seems to be getting rid of them very effectively. I'm just being very careful so that my other snake doesn't get them. I just ordered provent a mite to use to help get rid of this infestation and then to use as a maintenance cage treatment once a month.
It has not been a heavy infestation. I have only seen three black mites, and none have appeared in the water dish. When I brought the snake home the one I did see was clear in appearance. I'm hoping I've gotten them before they started laying eggs. :flames:
Do you think I should treat my other snake too? They are on opposite sides of the entire house.

Last edited:
I pulled the substrate cleaned with a bleach/water solution. I originally treated him with Reptile Relief but I got a Pyrethrin spray from my mouse supplier. Same stuff that's in the Provent-a-mite that I also ordered on suggestion of several people. I've sprayed the rooms the snakes are in, the outside of the cage and when I change the paper towel I spray the towel. I've treated him twice with the Reptile Relief but I will do one more treatment with the provent-a-mite or with the permethrin spray that I already have. He no longer soaks in the water so I figure that for now they are destroyed!

I just found mites in my red eye tree frog tank last night. They aren't on the frogs, because they are too wet and slimy to get a grip, but they are all over the cage. I just got home from buying new substrate. I am putting them into a quarantine tank tonight. I got Reptile Relief spray for the tank and plastic plants and bowl.

With all the wood, mopani, grapevine, cork...how do I bake it? At what degrees and how long? And do I wrap it in tin foil first?

Thanks all!

Not sure if its been mentioned by you might look at putting a finger width line of vasolenie around the top rim of the tank to prevent the mites from crawling out as I recall they get stuck in it and don't think you should have any issues with this.

Use caution with the provent-a-mite with frogs. It's not supposed to be used on them as their skin absorbs too much. Make sure to follow the directions carefully with it.

Use caution with the provent-a-mite with frogs. It's not supposed to be used on them as their skin absorbs too much. Make sure to follow the directions carefully with it.

Unless I really missed something he has an issue with his snakes not frogs?... Sorry just lost.

No, I am the one with the frogs. :)

Also, I did not use the mite stuff on the frogs at all. They never came near to it. I soaked them in some spring water for a few minutes and then put them into the clean quarantine tank.

Their tank is now soaking in the mite killer. All the plants and decor are sitting in my bathtub full of hot water and each item was sprayed with mite killer before it went in. I will be sure to rinse everything very good.

Meant to add...I found out how to bake the wood. 250F, wrapped in foil, for 45-65 minutes. Its all cooking now.

Jay - your information was very helpful. I don't have my snake until next week, but I copied and pasted it into a word file for future use if ever needed. :)

Back