PDA

View Full Version : Hygene Issues. Very Concerned

Hygene Issues. Very Concerned

mikul07
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I got my snake back in october, as did my roomate. We both have young corns, mine is a dak normal and his is bright red sunkissed or sunglow or in that realm. His snake is somewhat anti social so he doesnt bother with it much, and has failed to clean its cage since we've had them, i try to take as best care of cage cleaning as i can for mine. recently we had a one week break fr the holidays here at college nad i went home as did he leaving the snakes here. When we came back his snake was infested with what looked like small fleas or mites. I was really freaked out and knew that coulnt be good. his snake shed the next night and they dont seem to be on it anymore. When i came home my snake had messed with his substrate quite a bit and had it all over the place, i completely renewed his substrate gave him fresh water and everything. I handeled him today and he seemed to be acting fine just like always loved to go in and around my fingers and everything. But once i put him away and looked closer i saw a very small amount of tiny mite like creatures on my hand and at a closer look a few on him. Im extremely worried about these bc i have no knowledge of health problems and snakes. What should I do about this any help is greatly appreciated i feel like a worried parent here haha so please tell me this isnt a big deal ?

Roy Munson
11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
If they're snake mites, they ARE a big deal. Do a search for "mites" and look at some of the threads that deal with their eradication. But keep in mind that it will be nearly impossible to keep your snake mite-free if your roommate's snake has them. Both snakes need to be treated, and both enclosures need to be made mite-free as well (and kept that way). There are lots of threads...

Good luck.

wade
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
If they really are mites, it is a big deal. You didn't really discribe them in your post. Are they flea like or mite like? Mites are black and they look like pepper. Really small. You will often seen them floating in the water. Here is a link to a good article about mites. It will help you understand how big the problem can be.
http://www.vpi.com/publications/the_life_history_of_snake_mites

wade
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
i searched the forums and came up with this thread.

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19015&highlight=pest+strips

It has several suggestions, some controversy and no clear cut answer. I think that pretty well sums up this topic.