PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Traumatic morning....

HELP!! Traumatic morning....

shaqfan
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a corn who's almost three years old, ive had her since she was a fe weeks old. shes is my first snake. so here's the scoop. she generally eats two live mice per week. last night i went to feed he, and when i put the first one in, she missed the mouse with her first two strikes (probably irrelevant to the rest of the story, but its never happened, so i put it in). she she finnaly gets and eats mouse one. i drop the second one in a few minutes later and she strikes it wraps it up, but doesnt eat it. i assumed she wasnt hungry, so i left with the apparently dead mouse still in the tank. i came home like 10 hours later after the work, the mouse was gone, so i assumed all was good. about 6 hours later, i was sleeping and was awakened to a struggle, and i see my corn striking at the mouse over and over. so im like, wtf, where did the mouse come from. im assuming it wasnt dead, ut had just passed out, an the snake didnt eat it, and it was hiding in the rock when i got home. anyway... sht snake keeps striking at the mouse, and the mouse is biting my snake. i jumped out of bed, and immediately opened the viv and my snake came flying out, obviously distressed. i took the mouse out (and subsequently introduced it to my sister's cat... revenge was sweet). but now here are my concerns.....

1) the snake has no noticible wounds, its not bleeding or anything,should i worry about diesase from the mouse?

2) im now nervous about putting a mouse in with my snake again, becausei wouldnt want that to happen again

any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated

diamondlil
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Why did you change to live mice? Can you convert back to f/t?
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26664

ArpeggioAngel
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
If the snake has no visible wounds I would think that it is physically ok - although probably quite stressed out. If you want to be sure, I would take out any bedding you are currently using and keep the snake on newspaper or paper towels for a week to keep an eye on her.

In the future, I would suggest pre-killing the mouse or at least stunning it before putting it in with your snake.
Most of mine eat f/t but I have one or two that will only eat live or fresh killed. The live ones I give a good "thwack" to the back of the head to stun them long enough for the snakes to grab them without fear of the mouse biting.

MerlinsPop
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
This is the classic argument against feeding live, and for those who do, to never leave a mouse unattended (even if presumed dead).

If you can't or don't want to convert over to f/t, I'd suggest stunning at the very least or pre-killing the mouse.

As to your snake, if after double and triple checking for injuries, even the slightest scratch, count yourself lucky. If you do find something, treat it with an over the counter triple antibiotic ointment and watch it carefully.

Nanci
11-29-2007, 12:36 PM
This is what your snake felt like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

Ohana
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Boy you got lucky as I am sure you know. I agree with everyone else, at least stunn the mice prior to putting them in the feeding tank with your snake. Are you feeding your snake in a separate container or in her viv? If in her viv what is the substrate?

I am glad that your snake is ok.

Ohana
11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
This is what your snake felt like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

Stupid rabbit.... Silly Snake! Wow, I don't know that I have seen a Rabbit chase a snake before. Birds, but not a rabbit.

roy_334
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
beware the killer rabbit!

i've never seen anything before. it was convenient that whoever filmed it just happened to have a videocamera close at hand.

probably staged by snakehaters

bsr8129
11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
hmm i wonder if that snake was stressed after that and died.

MrsCornSnake
11-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey, well it sounds like what happened was an honest mistake. You shouldn't beat yourself up for that, and just thank your lucky stars that your snake is unscathed. I don't think you need to worry about the snake catching any sickness from the mouse... just what has it been eating all this time? :)

I think what other people wrote about stunning the mice or trying to switch to frozen is good, sound advice. Or at the very least, you know now not to ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leave a mouse with a snake alone.

JustineNYC
11-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I have a corn who's almost three years old, ive had her since she was a fe weeks old. shes is my first snake. so here's the scoop. she generally eats two live mice per week. last night i went to feed he, and when i put the first one in, she missed the mouse with her first two strikes (probably irrelevant to the rest of the story, but its never happened, so i put it in). she she finnaly gets and eats mouse one. i drop the second one in a few minutes later and she strikes it wraps it up, but doesnt eat it. i assumed she wasnt hungry, so i left with the apparently dead mouse still in the tank. i came home like 10 hours later after the work, the mouse was gone, so i assumed all was good. about 6 hours later, i was sleeping and was awakened to a struggle, and i see my corn striking at the mouse over and over. so im like, wtf, where did the mouse come from. im assuming it wasnt dead, ut had just passed out, an the snake didnt eat it, and it was hiding in the rock when i got home. anyway... sht snake keeps striking at the mouse, and the mouse is biting my snake. i jumped out of bed, and immediately opened the viv and my snake came flying out, obviously distressed. i took the mouse out (and subsequently introduced it to my sister's cat... revenge was sweet). but now here are my concerns.....

1) the snake has no noticible wounds, its not bleeding or anything,should i worry about diesase from the mouse?

2) im now nervous about putting a mouse in with my snake again, becausei wouldnt want that to happen again

any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated

Feedback is, dont feed live. If your like me and majority of other people here you dont have time or patience to sit there and supervise every second of every feeding. I dont see a reason to feed live, and majority of corns are easy to convert.

Plus it (IMO of course) isnt right that the mouse did exactly what it shouldve done, was almost eaten, was knocked unconscious, defended itself and then you apparently handed it over to your sisters cat. Not a great night for the feeder either nor is it very humane.

Pretty1234me
11-30-2007, 02:20 AM
This is the classic argument against feeding live, and for those who do, to never leave a mouse unattended (even if presumed dead).

If you can't or don't want to convert over to f/t, I'd suggest stunning at the very least or pre-killing the mouse.

Couldn't have said it better!

I also agree with MrsCornsnake...it was an honest mistake. Keep us posted hopefully ur snake is doing better now.

rolandslf
12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Definitely sounds like an honest mistake. This is all a part of learning.
I bet you will never leave a live mouse unattended with your snake again.
My corns all eat medium sized rats and all eat live, I stun the rats and do not stop watching until I see the snake swallowing the prey item.

Ciao

mele2511
12-04-2007, 08:25 AM
IF there are any wonds on the snake i would advise to put something on it. Get some iodine from over the counter, the brand name is vetadine i think.

starsevol
12-04-2007, 08:54 AM
poor snake.
poor mouse.
bad you.

The snake did what it could to survive.
So did that poor mouse, that can feel pain and fear just like any other creature.
Shame on you for taking your revenge with the sister's cat. It wasn't the mouse's fault, it was YOURS!

Bottom line : Your snake suffered stress BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS. Then, you happily allowed a small injured frightened creature to be tortured to death, for the crime of trying to stay alive. It appears someone failed to teach you both common sense, and compassion. How very sad for all involved.

bitsy
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
the brand name is vetadine i think

I think in the UK it's called Betadine. You could also use Tamodine.

RavenSpirit360
12-04-2007, 09:37 AM
It was an honest mistake but yes I agree with starsevol, it was pretty cruel to torture the mouse with your sisters cat. I am not judging you, it just makes me a bit sad :(

zion
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
poor snake.
poor mouse.
bad you.

The snake did what it could to survive.
So did that poor mouse, that can feel pain and fear just like any other creature.
Shame on you for taking your revenge with the sister's cat. It wasn't the mouse's fault, it was YOURS!

Bottom line : Your snake suffered stress BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS. Then, you happily allowed a small injured frightened creature to be tortured to death, for the crime of trying to stay alive. It appears someone failed to teach you both common sense, and compassion. How very sad for all involved.

Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you.

diamondlil
12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you.
I think no-one here (keeping obligate carnivore pets), whether they eat meat or not, objects to mice as feeders. What is the sticking point is unnecessary suffering to the mouse, as well as the snake getting injured

starsevol
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Nope, the mouse was unecessarily TORTURED to death for trying to stay alive to satisfy some sadist's idea of revenge.
Shame on ANYONE who condones the UNECESSASARY suffering of ANY creature. And shame on YOU.

There is a special place in you-know-where for people who think nothing of cruelty. The true measure of a man is how he treats those under him, including animals.

zion
12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Nope, the mouse was unecessarily TORTURED to death for trying to stay alive to satisfy some sadist's idea of revenge.
Shame on ANYONE who condones the UNECESSASARY suffering of ANY creature. And shame on YOU.

There is a special place in you-know-where for people who think nothing of cruelty. The true measure of a man is how he treats those under him, including animals.

LOL, ok, the preacher is in the house.

First of all, nobody "condoned" the behavior. A mistake was made and people made sure that was clear. However, I would not go to the length of calling it torture. Calling someone a sadist is a bit of an overstatement. Lastly, I'm not sure who gave you the authority to start banishing people to "you know where:uhoh:" but I think you should step off your high horse for a minute and take a look at your own cruelty woven lifestyle... Do you have a car? a fridge in your household? Well you are contributing to global warming and subsequently destroying the habitat in the north, how's that for making creatures suffer. How about swatting that pesky mosquito that landed on your arm...Or even, the amount of suffering behind those coffee beans you ground into your morning cup of pick-me-up to get you started on a long day of preaching over the internet. SHAME ON YOU SHAME ON ME SHAME SHAME SHAME I'll see you in you know where suckah...:angry01:

Roy Munson
12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Watch the name-calling (e.g., "suckah") and inflammatory stuff. Keep it civil.

Weebonilass
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Sorry, I don't agree. I'm guessing that feeder had some serious internal injuries due to the several attacks by the 3 yr old snake. Not all cats play with their food and there was no indication that this was not a efficient killing when it was turned over to the cat. What would you have had her do, take it to the vet, pay a couple of hundred dollars to have the vet put it "humanely" to sleep or would you have clobbered it over the head (not sure that wouldn't be considered inhumane either) ? Is it really that different from members on here who give non-thriving hatchlings to their kingsnakes?

I've not fed live since a 15 min lecture from a vet with my daughter's first snake years ago, but the fact is that the OP did and found out the hard way why it's not a recommended procedure.

starsevol
12-05-2007, 11:26 AM

First of all, nobody "condoned" the behavior. A mistake was made and people made sure that was clear. However, I would not go to the length of calling it torture. Calling someone a sadist is a bit of an overstatement. Lastly, I'm not sure who gave you the authority to start banishing people to "you know where:uhoh:" but I think you should step off your high horse for a minute and take a look at your own cruelty woven lifestyle... Do you have a car? a fridge in your household? Well you are contributing to global warming and subsequently destroying the habitat in the north, how's that for making creatures suffer. How about swatting that pesky mosquito that landed on your arm...Or even, the amount of suffering behind those coffee beans you ground into your morning cup of pick-me-up to get you started on a long day of preaching over the internet. SHAME ON YOU SHAME ON ME SHAME SHAME SHAME I'll see you in you know where suckah...:angry01:

Funny stuff, considering the odds of lightning striking me upon even ENTERING a church runs about 50/50. But I DO believe in Karma.
Do you understand the difference between living your life, and gleefully watching one animal torture another to death for no reason at all? By saying that since that mouse was going to die anyway, there is NO difference between feeding it to a snake that needs to eat, or giving it to a well-fed housecat to torture because it dared to try to escape death, you ARE condoning uneccessary suffering.
Can you comprehend the difference between neccessary suffering and uneccessary suffering, or is that too much for you?

starsevol
12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Sorry, I don't agree. I'm guessing that feeder had some serious internal injuries due to the several attacks by the 3 yr old snake. Not all cats play with their food and there was no indication that this was not a efficient killing when it was turned over to the cat. What would you have had her do, take it to the vet, pay a couple of hundred dollars to have the vet put it "humanely" to sleep or would you have clobbered it over the head (not sure that wouldn't be considered inhumane either) ? Is it really that different from members on here who give non-thriving hatchlings to their kingsnakes?

I've not fed live since a 15 min lecture from a vet with my daughter's first snake years ago, but the fact is that the OP did and found out the hard way why it's not a recommended procedure.

Weebonilass,

A thump to the head is almost a kindness, and that's what she should have done. By the words "I introduced it to my sister's cat. Revenge is sweet", that tells me that the op saw the cat killing that mouse as revenge for something the mouse did wrong. THAT is really what disturbed me, the total lack of feeling or compassion expressed here. The idea that the mouse had to pay because it did what any other animal would have done. Especially since this whole thing could have been avoided in the first place if the OP had either used frozen/thawed or thumped the mouse from the beginning!

zion
12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Weebonilass,

A thump to the head is almost a kindness, and that's what she should have done. By the words "I introduced it to my sister's cat. Revenge is sweet", that tells me that the op saw the cat killing that mouse as revenge for something the mouse did wrong. THAT is really what disturbed me, the total lack of feeling or compassion expressed here. The idea that the mouse had to pay because it did what any other animal would have done. Especially since this whole thing could have been avoided in the first place if the OP had either used frozen/thawed or thumped the mouse from the beginning!

By owning a pet snake, you are supporting an industry of mice breeding, and are therefore partially responsible for the treatment and mistreatment of live feeders, even if you don't buy them.

Also, I think you're stretching the "torture" issue a little too far. Let's say the "thump" did not successfully kill the mouse, and it was left brain-dead in the garbage bin, unable to move, waiting to starve to death, that sounds about as good as Disneyworld. Giving it to the cat was a certain death, and a tasty treat for the cat. This whole story of fighting for its life and being punished for wanting to live is absurd. The cat didn't torture the mouse, it ate it.

Lastly, who said anything about being struck by lightning? That is the worst cliche I've ever heard a web-preacher use, I was waiting for the ground to open and swallow you whole.:grabbit:

starsevol
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
By owning a pet snake, you are supporting an industry of mice breeding, and are therefore partially responsible for the treatment and mistreatment of live feeders, even if you don't buy them.

Also, I think you're stretching the "torture" issue a little too far. Let's say the "thump" did not successfully kill the mouse, and it was left brain-dead in the garbage bin, unable to move, waiting to starve to death, that sounds about as good as Disneyworld. Giving it to the cat was a certain death, and a tasty treat for the cat. This whole story of fighting for its life and being punished for wanting to live is absurd. The cat didn't torture the mouse, it ate it.

Lastly, who said anything about being struck by lightning? That is the worst cliche I've ever heard a web-preacher use, I was waiting for the ground to open and swallow you whole.:grabbit:

Obviously, the difference between neccessary cruelty and gratuitous cruelty eludes you. As I figured it would.

Whoa, here's a random idea....why didn't she thump the mouse and feed it to her STILL HUNGRY snake? Why would she feed snake food to the cat when the snake was still hungry?

And let's deal with facts here. The mouse did what it did BECAUSE it was fighting to survive. Do you dispute this?
This is why the mouse did not willingly climb into the snake's mouth. Comprende?
And as far as your comments about the mouse being punished for wanting to live and how ridiculous that is, things happened the way they did because the mouse WAS fighting for survival. BECAUSE of the way things turned out, the OP fed the mouse to the cat, saying REVENGE is sweet. You DO know what the word "revenge" means, don't you? And what else could the revenge been for, since things unfolded the way they did?

zion
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Obviously, the difference between neccessary cruelty and gratuitous cruelty eludes you. As I figured it would.

Whoa, here's a random idea....why didn't she thump the mouse and feed it to her STILL HUNGRY snake? Why would she feed snake food to the cat when the snake was still hungry?

And let's deal with facts here. The mouse did what it did BECAUSE it was fighting to survive. Do you dispute this?
This is why the mouse did not willingly climb into the snake's mouth. Comprende?
And as far as your comments about the mouse being punished for wanting to live and how ridiculous that is, things happened the way they did because the mouse WAS fighting for survival. BECAUSE of the way things turned out, the OP fed the mouse to the cat, saying REVENGE is sweet. You DO know what the word "revenge" means, don't you? And what else could the revenge been for, since things unfolded the way they did?

Yes, I know what the word revenge means, but I don't think the OP meant it in a way that the mouse had to pay with it life for its actions. It was simply an expression. Really, the snake was very stressed, and I think it was wise to delay feeding till later, I wouldn't have fed my snake right after an incident like that. So the OP had a stressed snake, a traumatized and possibly injured mouse. So in all reality, the OP just made due with the situation and disposed of a suffering mouse by giving it to the cat. The aspect of torture is not present. And I would appreciate if you stopped speaking as if I did not understand what you are saying. Just because my opinion is not the same as yours, it does not mean you have a higher level of understanding. But hey, if you get your jollies by talking down on people and it makes you feel smarter, by all means continue your practice.

starsevol
12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
By your previous comments, you appeared unable to put 2 and 2 together. So, I spoke in a way I felt you might be able to understand. I am glad to be wrong, in this case.

Let's just say I have a VERY low opinion of those who commit or condone acts of "careless cruelty". Whether you fall into that category or not, I don't know, nor do I care.

MerlinsPop
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
You all DO realize that Shagfan, thoe OPer, hasn't replied to any of this back and forth arguing since they made the OP? Between this and the debate raging over co-habbing based on what someone saw at a pet shop makes me think some people just like to argue, and its now sunken to personal attacks.

JustineNYC
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Why do the people who always stick up for torturing animals and defend their view with "The mouse was going to be eaten anyway" always resort to childish belittling like "Preacher in the house" and "suckah"

IMO its not bashing, if you post on a public forum that you decided to gain vengence on a small animal by handing it over to a larger predator, well.....people have a right to comment on how extremely inhumane that is.

You dont have to be a preacher to know that, simple common sense goes a long way.

zion
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Why do the people who always stick up for torturing animals and defend their view with "The mouse was going to be eaten anyway" always resort to childish belittling like "Preacher in the house" and "suckah"

IMO its not bashing, if you post on a public forum that you decided to gain vengence on a small animal by handing it over to a larger predator, well.....people have a right to comment on how extremely inhumane that is.

You dont have to be a preacher to know that, simple common sense goes a long way.

Alright, first of all, I was not sticking up for torturing animals. Let's not take things out of context. I was sticking up for the fact that people should not run around forums telling people they are going to go to hell because they fed a possibly-dying mouse to a cat rather than smashing it on a hard surface. So if you keep the context in mind, you will see that the preacher part was about saying "shame on you etc etc you're going to hell."

On another note: If you are offended by the word suckah, then I retract it, and apologise for it was not necessary.

JustineNYC
12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Alright, first of all, I was not sticking up for torturing animals.

"Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you."

Yes you were.

zion
12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
"Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you."

Yes you were.

Once again,

Let's not take things out of context. I was sticking up for the fact that people should not run around forums telling people they are going to go to hell because they fed a possibly-dying mouse to a cat rather than smashing it on a hard surface.

What would you have done with the mouse?

JustineNYC
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Once again,

Let's not take things out of context. I was sticking up for the fact that people should not run around forums telling people they are going to go to hell because they fed a possibly-dying mouse to a cat rather than smashing it on a hard surface.

What would you have done with the mouse?

"I was sticking up for the fact that people should not run around forums telling people they are going to go to hell"

No your not, not in that post your not. Im not taking anything out of context, I used your direct quote.

You said and I quote

"Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you." END OF POST.

PS- My mice are already dead.

starsevol
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM

I am no preacher, but if there is such a place as "you-know-where" I am quite certain that people who engage in uneccessary animal ( and human) suffering are their favorite clientelle.
And I hope I'm right!!

zion
12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
"I was sticking up for the fact that people should not run around forums telling people they are going to go to hell"

No your not, not in that post your not. Im not taking anything out of context, I used your direct quote.

You said and I quote

"Get over yourself, the cat just ate the mouse that was going to get fed to the snake anyways. Do you eat meat? shame on you." END OF POST.

PS- My mice are already dead.

Actually, that comment falls into the context of the entire conversation which unfolds throughout several posts by several different people which must all be taken into consideration in order to properly understand the meaning of each statement, hense keeping things in their proper context.

Secondly, I asked what would have have done with that mouse... A question you did not answer.

JustineNYC
12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Actually, that comment falls into the context of the entire conversation which unfolds throughout several posts by several different people which must all be taken into consideration in order to properly understand the meaning of each statement, hense keeping things in their proper context.

Secondly, I asked what would have have done with that mouse... A question you did not answer.

I showed you, your entire quote. That is the quote I referred to, I dont see how something you said later on in the "conversation" (This isnt a conversation, its a message board where you post one specific post, and wait for a response, If no one responded after THAT post, would you continue to talk to yourself? No Your comments wouldve stood there)

What you said "later" has no bearing on that first post that I quoted and referred to as 'defending cruelty'

And I answered your question, my mice are already dead.

I cant tell you what Id do if my chute failed, if I dont jump out of airplanes.

wax32
12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Notice that in 4 pages the OP hasn't chimed back in? I think all the back and forth in this thread may have scared him off.

shaqfan
12-07-2007, 05:17 AM
to everyone who helped out, thanks for the advice. im not going to even waste my time responding to a lot of the madness that was posted here. but dont worry mouse lovers, i have switched to the more tactful practice of putting the mouse in a paper bag and smashing it against the wall until it has a seizure.

shaqfan
12-07-2007, 05:17 AM
to everyone who helped out, thanks for the advice. im not going to even waste my time responding to a lot of the madness that was posted here. but dont worry mouse lovers, i have switched to the more tactful practice of putting the mouse in a paper bag and smashing it against the wall until it has a seizure.

hartsock
12-07-2007, 07:05 AM

Yet another opportunity lost..... :(

Nanci
12-07-2007, 07:52 AM

That is very inhumane.

Mr.AJ
12-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Wow... this thread got very out of control very fast and it seems quite a few people have been wound up by it!.

Whether you condone the OP's actions or not, lets try not to lose sight he came here for Help. Obviously his hearts in the right place otherwise he wouldnt of come searching out help for his predicement, and as soon as he saw the mouse and snake fighting he got it out of there as quick as he could. If anything, the only mistake he made was assuming the mouse had been eaten when it was just infact hiding. We could sit here all day arguing the rights and wrongs of live feeding mice. But lets face it the OP isnt the first person on here to feed live mice to their snake and find out the hard way how easily it can go wrong, and i doubt he'll be the last, and that debate is not what the thread is here for.
As for feeding the mouse to the cat, Whats done is done. It may be right, it may be wrong but its not worth starting an argument over on here afterall, yet again thats not what this thread is here for.

As for disease, i wouldn't worry if you got the mouse from the same source as you've normally been feeding him from. If its from a reputable breeder, or a reputable live food retailer i'd assume it would be checked for disease and parasites before sale.

..But if it was a 'wild' mouse you caught in your home, that'd be a different story..

As for wounds, if theres no visible wounds and you've checked every last mm of him/her over - Your snakes probably fine physically. Its stress level will be through the roof though.

hartsock
12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
That is very inhumane.

nope, that doesn't sound like it is, but maybe he was being sacrastic? don't know, hard to tell, but honestly, how is anyone on here comparing the killing of a mouse by a snake and a cat the same thing? Snakes constrict, it is quick and while I am sure it is painful, it seems to more of a peaceful death. (yes I have a few snakes that will only accept live and I have watched them eat and the mouse does whimper and squeek at times, but it doesn't last long) compared to the way a cat can kill a mouse, it is like comparing death by the electic chair to having your throat cut with a plastic butter knife. Where we used to live our house was near a field and it was a drop off place for unwanted cats. We did put food out for them because my wife felt sorry for them. I would watch them hunt and let me tell you, seeing a mole having the flesh ripped off of it's back while it was still alive, or the baby bunny that became a complete game to which last awhile before it died suffered alot more than a constricted mouse. I kept telling myself, well they have to eat too, which is true, but if there was a choice or alternative, I think we as humans should choose it. As the original poster said it was "sweet revenge." No it was not, it was a cruel way to end it. It was neglect and irresponsiblity on the part to not ensure the mouse was dead. It was alive enough to attack and completely frighten the snake. Fault didn't lie with the mouse, but the owner, so "sweet revenge" for both the mouse and the snake would have been taking the sisters cat, putting it in the paper bag he is so found of, shaking it to no end, and then drop the cat down your pants. Now that would be sweet revenge for those who truly were affected.

zion
12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
putting it in the paper bag he is so found of, shaking it to no end, and then drop the cat down your pants. Now that would be sweet revenge for those who truly were affected.

Admin, delete my account, nobody on these forums is sane.

Roy Munson
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM

The admin's on these forums. ;)

starsevol
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
zion, delete yourself!

I repped Harksock for that.
He espoused my view exactly.
If compassion equals insanity, zion, you really don't belong here.

FirstTimeOwner
12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
dude, what were u thinking with leaving a live mouse alone with the snake? cmon mang

zion
12-07-2007, 11:53 AM
zion, delete yourself!

I repped Harksock for that.
He espoused my view exactly.
If compassion equals insanity, zion, you really don't belong here.

You have a funny way of understanding things. You take things out of context.

If compassion to you means putting a mouse and a cat in someone's pants because they made a mistake (figuratively of course), then you must agree with chopping people's hands off for stealing. Or public hangings, better yet, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

starsevol
12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Funny, the other "insane" folks on here got my meaning.
Hmmm all of us are "insane" and then there's you!

And why are you still here?
Why not keep your word,
Off you go!

Corny Noob
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Or you know maybe they were being facectious because we're not cruel like that :rofl:

Aside though.
*sighs* It's frustrating to see that we can't often get along wtih each other. But what I think needs to be said often, is we're just looking out for the best intrest of the animals, any animal for that matter.
We may often get rabid and foam at the mouth, but that's only because we're passionate about what we do, and when sometimes we feel something is off we want nothing more than to right what we see as wrong and help out fellow herpers and their animals.
It doesn't make us bad people, just try to remember that. We do it for the love of the animals.

starsevol
12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Jen hun,
There are just some people not WORTH getting along with.
People who hurt kids
People who hurt animals (or condone it)
serial killers
rapists

you know, it's not worth letting human debris break your heart.

zion
12-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Funny, the other "insane" folks on here got my meaning.
Hmmm all of us are "insane" and then there's you!

And why are you still here?
Why not keep your word,
Off you go!

No Comment.:spinner:

But what I think needs to be said often, is we're just looking out for the best intrest of the animals, any animal for that matter.
We may often get rabid and foam at the mouth, but that's only because we're passionate about what we do, and when sometimes we feel something is off we want nothing more than to right what we see as wrong and help out fellow herpers and their animals.

My problem with the whole deal, is that the mistake was made clear to the OP within the first few posts. And that problem is the fact the mouse and snake were left unsupervised. And I'm sure the OPer understood that mistake. However, people kept a steady flow of negative comments screaming animal cruelty and torture and banishing people to the depths of you know where, but in fact, nobody has answered to what should have been done with the possibly injured and dying mouse, other than smashing it on a table. Because apparently that's not cruel at all either.:shrugs:

Corny Noob
12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
But it all comes down to the popular opinion.
People can't help but chime in when they think they have something else to add to the situation. Even if yours isn't the "popular opinion" in this subject you still feel compelled to reply don't you?'
It's human nature.

starsevol
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I banished NO ONE to there.
I simply stated my BELIEF that people who behave like the OP did WILL END UP THERE. (and I hope they do)

Hartsock has seen the way cats kill prey.
They torture it to death, at least most do.
A whack against a table might NOT be painless, but it sure is quick and if there is suffering, it doesnt last long.

To PURPOSELY let that mouse suffer, the op was way beyond wrong. And for YOU to defend those actions, and condone them, makes you JUST AS WRONG.

Do you understand this? Or will I have to type slower?

hartsock
12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

:)

Never claimed to be sane....

....but you watch a frighten prey item, no matter what it is, being played with, then having it's flesh ripped from it's body while it is still alive and you come to realize that death just isn't always death. I don't know the mouse died at the claws of the cat, but I can assume that it wasn't as easy of a death as with a constrictor like a corn. Even if it didn't play with it, it more than likely wasn't as quick and was more painful. Overall though, we can say a mouse is a mouse and it was born to die. However, I do agree with what Stevesol said and what I said before, it wasn't the mouses fault, he was doing what he needed to survive, it wasn't the snakes fault he needs to eat. Neither asked to be put in the situation of being in a tank with the "two men go in, one man comes out..." situation. That all rest upon you to ensure that the snake is safe and prey is cull or killed as humanely as possible.

I almost made the same mistake a few months ago, I put a live small mouse in with a Saharan sand boa who will only eat live and only if the cage is covered and the room is dark. There is no way to monitor that other than peeking once in a while, but if you do too much, she won't eat. I put one in, checked on her in 20 minutes, mouse was gone snake was laying by the water dish. I folded up the blanket I use as a cover and was getting ready to leave the room and thought, I better check the hide. And there was the mouse. recovered and check in 15 minutes, mouse gone. This is the only way she will eat and it is a risk that needs to be taken. ( I went through an 9 month ordeal with that snake not eating and almost lost her, till I gave in and tried live. She was almost too weak to even take down a small mouse, now she is doing great!)

if that snake had been bite or injured by the mouse, I would have been totally responsible for not checking the hide and ensuring the snake was in a safe environment. To me that would have warrented a cat in the pants. :rofl:

And as far as my mental stability, I leave you with a line from the theme song of my life....

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell, but wait awhile and then you'll see, a different side of me." :laugh01:

Guess you didn't have to wait that long huh?

zion
12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
But it all comes down to the popular opinion.
People can't help but chime in when they think they have something else to add to the situation. Even if yours isn't the "popular opinion" in this subject you still feel compelled to reply don't you?'
It's human nature.

Possibly, but I know there are people who share my opinion in saying that the bashing was not needed and taken way too far. The mistake was made, and the OP was made aware of it, very early in the thread, the rest of the bashing against the event was no longer necessary or productive, because nobody brought up a more humane way to go about the event and the way things unfolded.

And to be honest, the ownership of a pet reptile is a cruel thing in itself, because unlike pet mammals, these creatures cannot be fed on chow. They must be fed other creatures and therefore requires an industry the breeds mice who are destined to die in order to maintain the demand for reptile feed. Natural? I think not. In a natural setting, the mice are born in a world where they strive to survive, and arguably, succumb to natural selection although they all receive a fair chance at survival. The ones who do not survive; die from natural causes or by predatory attacks. In the breeding industry, they are destined for certain death, and that, is unarguably cruel. So as reptile owners, are we not all cruel?

I would go on but I feel the need to go put a cat and a mouse in my pants for being such a cruel person.:uhoh:

hartsock
12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
man, we really need an edit button on here.....or maybe I should reread before I hit submit,lol

hartsock
12-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I would go on but I feel the need to go put a cat and a mouse in my pants for being such a cruel person.:uhoh:

YAY!!!!!!

Steve and I got another one to see the light!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

zion
12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I banished NO ONE to there.
I simply stated my BELIEF that people who behave like the OP did WILL END UP THERE. (and I hope they do)

Hartsock has seen the way cats kill prey.
They torture it to death, at least most do.
A whack against a table might NOT be painless, but it sure is quick and if there is suffering, it doesnt last long.

To PURPOSELY let that mouse suffer, the op was way beyond wrong. And for YOU to defend those actions, and condone them, makes you JUST AS WRONG.

First of all, the Bible (if this is the book of your beliefs) preaches you should forgive people for their actions, for you are not the judge of men. The teachings aim at creating a world of tolerance and understanding. Hoping people will go to hell is contradicting your own beliefs, for that is a cruel act in itself. Wishing eternal suffering on someone's soul.

Secondly, a whack against the table is not necessarily a sound way to kill the mouse, because it may appear dead, it may still be alive and very much suffering, unless of course, you are checking its vital signs.

Lastly, I don't condone animal cruelty, or making mice suffer. I am not a cat owner, nor have I ever, or will ever be, so I'm not familiar with the way the mouse in question was killed. If it was toyed with or simply gobbled up quickly. However, I do not believe your ways of doing business are any more humane. I feed FT which I have already explained is arguably a cruel act anyways, so your hands aren't clean of the dirt either my friend. I've been aruging mostly for the fact that people are quick to scream cruelty, without examining their own behaviors.

And just out of curiosity, starsevol, what level of education have you achieved? Not that it has any pertinance to the thread.

Corny Noob
12-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah ok I tried to play peacemaker I give up.

Roy Munson
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Cut it out, you two (and I think you two know who you are).

hartsock
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
First of all, the Bible (if this is the book of your beliefs) preaches you should forgive people for their actions, for you are not the judge of men. The teachings aim at creating a world of tolerance and understanding. Hoping people will go to hell is contradicting your own beliefs, for that is a cruel act in itself. Wishing eternal suffering on someone's soul.

First off the Bible does say that we are not to judge, however it does not in any way promote a world of tolerance and understanding. AS a matter of fact Christ's own words say that he came to bring division and that He himself is the only way to heaven. I believe starsevol (sorry there starsevol, don't know where I got steve from....) was using the term figuratively and probably doesn't show any true deep bliefs.

I find this whole thread sorta funny because it seems like we are to just say, "oh well, live and learn there shaqfan, live and learn." It's true that we learn from our mistakes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be taken out to the woodshed when we need it. I guess if the snake had lost an eye, we could just say, "live and learn" after all it does have another eye right? Above and beyond the feed live vs. prekilled.vs f/t debate is a side issue. The real issue is the carelessness of the original poster and instead of rubbing his back and saying "get next time tiger" there should be stern warnings given along with the "now you have learned something" speech. I welcomed the times when I got "spanked" by members on this site and on the other sites I visit because it stuck it my mind and I truly learned from it, but then maybe it is just me that likes things a little more upfront and not sugar coated.

hartsock
12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Cut it out, you two (and I think you two know who you are).

I don't think I am one of the two (maybe if it was a 2.5, I might be the .5) but even so, I bow out graciously. :dancer:

Ohana
12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
WoW, ok you guys are nuts.... So how is the snake doing now? Did you find any wounds?

Nanci
12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
And to be honest, the ownership of a pet reptile is a cruel thing in itself, because unlike pet mammals, these creatures cannot be fed on chow. They must be fed other creatures

What do you think "chow" is made of? Hopefully other creatures, if it has any sort of nutritional value at all...

JustineNYC
12-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Dying to know what your idea of "helping out is"

Heres to many more traumatic mornings for you.

zion
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
What do you think "chow" is made of? Hopefully other creatures, if it has any sort of nutritional value at all...

...eggs.:)

JustineNYC
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
And just out of curiosity, starsevol, what level of education have you achieved? Not that it has any pertinance to the thread.

So why are you asking? I know and you know, bashing and name calling isnt allowed here, but that is the slick mans way of calling someone an idiot.

zion
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
No, it was a question.

starsevol
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
First off the Bible does say that we are not to judge, however it does not in any way promote a world of tolerance and understanding. AS a matter of fact Christ's own words say that he came to bring division and that He himself is the only way to heaven. I believe starsevol (sorry there starsevol, don't know where I got steve from....) was using the term figuratively and probably doesn't show any true deep bliefs.

I find this whole thread sorta funny because it seems like we are to just say, "oh well, live and learn there shaqfan, live and learn." It's true that we learn from our mistakes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be taken out to the woodshed when we need it. I guess if the snake had lost an eye, we could just say, "live and learn" after all it does have another eye right? Above and beyond the feed live vs. prekilled.vs f/t debate is a side issue. The real issue is the carelessness of the original poster and instead of rubbing his back and saying "get next time tiger" there should be stern warnings given along with the "now you have learned something" speech. I welcomed the times when I got "spanked" by members on this site and on the other sites I visit because it stuck it my mind and I truly learned from it, but then maybe it is just me that likes things a little more upfront and not sugar coated.

I thought I already said I wasn't religious. What is this of a book?
Oh, and no worries Hartsock. My name's Beth, but one of my favorite snakes is named Steve! :)

Sorry, I edited due to a spelling error. My bad!

JustineNYC
12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I feed FT which I have already explained is arguably a cruel act anyways, so your hands aren't clean of the dirt either my friend. I've been aruging mostly for the fact that people are quick to scream cruelty, without examining their own behaviors.

I think the quote that ruffled feathers was

"i took the mouse out (and subsequently introduced it to my sister's cat... revenge was sweet)"

I believe (and Im too lazy to scroll back) that I was the first one to mention what was done to the mouse was....un-necessary. No one is claiming to have clean hands because they feed pre killed from the store. But the tone in that quote is sure as hell lacking from my attitude and intentions with feeding my snakes.

"Revenge was sweet" like what? Getting off on watching the mouse be tortured and ripped to shreds? Do you get a rise out of going to Petco and buying a baggy of dead rodents? I sure dont.

And if it was a joke, it was far from humorous.

Corny Noob
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
All animals are created equal.
Some are just more equal than others.

:D

zion
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM

"i took the mouse out (and subsequently introduced it to my sister's cat... revenge was sweet)"

I believe (and Im too lazy to scroll back) that I was the first one to mention what was done to the mouse was....un-necessary. No one is claiming to have clean hands because they feed pre killed from the store. But the tone in that quote is sure as hell lacking from my attitude and intentions with feeding my snakes.

"Revenge was sweet" like what? Getting off on watching the mouse be tortured and ripped to shreds? Do you get a rise out of going to Petco and buying a baggy of dead rodents? I sure dont.

It wasn't necessarily aimed at you, actually not at all, it was directed at someone else with whom I had an ongoing discussion. Also, I didn't make the "revenge joke" nor did I say it was funny.

JustineNYC
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
It wasn't necessarily aimed at you, actually not at all, it was directed at someone else with whom I had an ongoing discussion. Also, I didn't make the "revenge joke" nor did I say it was funny.

I can see that.

But you made reference to people who feed FT, which is myself and a load of other people so the quote didnt have to be aimed at anyone.

And you also reference people who "scream cruelty" and like I said, if you scroll back, I am the first to point out how cruel that was. Which is why I responded.

zion
12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I can see that.

But you made reference to people who feed FT, which is myself and a load of other people so the quote didnt have to be aimed at anyone.

And you also reference people who "scream cruelty" and like I said, if you scroll back, I am the first to point out how cruel that was. Which is why I responded.

Take notice of my post on FT earlier in this thread where I explain my view, I am myself a FT user and I discuss that in the post as well.

Mr.AJ
12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
All animals are created equal.
Some are just more equal than others.

:D

I think it'll take more than a few jokes to calm this thread down! :shrugs: Unfortunatly!.

Maybe time to bring in the professionals...

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1605259.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1061DDA17A10601EEBB 5A5397277B4DC33E

(Hope the image works :eek1:)

starsevol
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Yup, that's pretty much where I lost it, too!

JustineNYC
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Take notice of my post on FT earlier in this thread where I explain my view, I am myself a FT user and I discuss that in the post as well.

Noted.

And again I am a FT user too, and Im telling you that "Revenge was sweet" is what set this discussion off. I dont see anyone claiming to be a saint because they choose the FT method. But there is a leap in there between 'Haha revenge was sweet, look what you did to my snake, die little mouse die' and someone like myself who chooses to avoid the live prey thing altogether and let someone else handle the killing.

Do mice die because there is a demand for FT rodents? Yea. But again, I dont get jollies from it.

For myself (Yes I know its been explained it wasnt aimed at me, but Ive already said it kinda was aimed at anyone who does the FT and thinks revenge is cruel) The inflicting intentional harm for revenge was the repulsive part of this thread. At least the first repulsive part, there was alot after that, that ensued.

hartsock
12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I thought I already said I wasn't religious. What is this of a book?
Oh, and no worries Hartsock. My name's Beth, but one of my favorite snakes is named Steve! :)

Sorry, I edited due to a spelling error. My bad!

I know I said I was leaving the thread, but......... I am a impluse control problem. Even to the point where I recognize it that I still have to complete it. So, I apologize Mr. Munson the Admin, but I have a doctor's excuse, :roll:

Anyway, Beth it's nice to finally know your name, for one reason or another I had it in my head you were a guy named steve; for some reason everthing seems so much funnier know that I know you are a woman. I don't know why.

As I stated before, I feed live to three snakes --- two of which were wild caught saharan sand boas who went a long, long time and were both near the point of leaving this planet, the female was worse, I am surprise she even came back at all. I also feed live mice to a huge russian rat snake that was on live when I got him, I switched him to f/t pretty easily, but then when he saw the live mice being fed to the boas, he went on a hunger strike until I tried live on him. I could have fought him longer, but I was getting weary that day, long story...

I also raise mice and african soft furred rats. Of which I cull and freeze to feed my snakes f/t, which IMO the best way to go. I only feed live the ones I have to and me and the russian rat snake will be having it out shortly. I have seen mice die from C02 compared to the live feedings and I can say without a doubt, CO2 is much more humane. But still a snake isn't a bad way to go. A cat different story IMO as I have already stated. I tried the spinal dislocation thing (in other words, ring their necks), just too much of a softy I guess. The bashing thing as well. What I really hope is that shaqfan understands the real risk and danger it all involves and does better next time. If he has to feed live, he does, but need to ensure the mouse is dead if the snake doesn't eat it right away. We are given the need to care for our snakes, but that also includes caring for their food.

starsevol
12-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I know I said I was leaving the thread, but......... I am a impluse control problem. Even to the point where I recognize it that I still have to complete it. So, I apologize Mr. Munson the Admin, but I have a doctor's excuse, :roll:

Anyway, Beth it's nice to finally know your name, for one reason or another I had it in my head you were a guy named steve; for some reason everthing seems so much funnier know that I know you are a woman. I don't know why.

As I stated before, I feed live to three snakes --- two of which were wild caught saharan sand boas who went a long, long time and were both near the point of leaving this planet, the female was worse, I am surprise she even came back at all. I also feed live mice to a huge russian rat snake that was on live when I got him, I switched him to f/t pretty easily, but then when he saw the live mice being fed to the boas, he went on a hunger strike until I tried live on him. I could have fought him longer, but I was getting weary that day, long story...

I also raise mice and african soft furred rats. Of which I cull and freeze to feed my snakes f/t, which IMO the best way to go. I only feed live the ones I have to and me and the russian rat snake will be having it out shortly. I have seen mice die from C02 compared to the live feedings and I can say without a doubt, CO2 is much more humane. But still a snake isn't a bad way to go. A cat different story IMO as I have already stated. I tried the spinal dislocation thing (in other words, ring their necks), just too much of a softy I guess. The bashing thing as well. What I really hope is that shaqfan understands the real risk and danger it all involves and does better next time. If he has to feed live, he does, but need to ensure the mouse is dead if the snake doesn't eat it right away. We are given the need to care for our snakes, but that also includes caring for their food.

I know what you mean about the impulse control thing. Everytime someone responds to this thread, I just have to look! I have a thing about getting in the last word, and I am VERY stubborn. It must have something to do with being a red-headed Taurus :)
I am worse than you, even. I buy my snakes food already frozen, just like I buy my own. I will try live pinks on non feeding hatchlings, but I always feel horrible when I do it. Thankfully, its a rare occurance. I have "feeder rats" as pets, and I love them the way "normal" people would love a dog or a cat with an abnormally short lifespan. Rats are so intelligent and can be so social, and yet are often mistreated, or seen as only food by people. Some cultures believe that rats bring good fortune to those who treat them kindly. I need all the luck I can get :)
I think you and I can see eye to eye on alot of this stuff. Sure, we keep snakes. And snakes eat mice. You have GOT to know I don't have a problem there! I'm a total "carnasaurus" myself! But causing as little pain and stress to those we must kill, and respecting the life that has to end, is what makes us animal lovers.

There is a definate corelation between:
"Oh, it's just a mouse. It's going to die anyway. So why not pull its legs off".
to:
"Oh, it's just a dog. It can stay outside when there is a 2 degree windchill."
to:
"Let's see if I can nail that cat with the car".
to:
"Today I will be famous. I will go to a public place and shoot it up".

Well, you know what I mean. I'm not saying everyone with this mindset end up as serial killers....but most serial killers have that mindset.

Roy Munson
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
So, I apologize Mr. Munson the Admin, but I have a doctor's excuse, :roll: Rich Zuchowski is the Admin. I'm just a lowly moderator. And my name's Dean-- not Mr. Arnold, not Mr. Munson-- just Dean. ;)

hartsock
12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Rich Zuchowski is the Admin. I'm just a lowly moderator. And my name's Dean-- not Mr. Arnold, not Mr. Munson-- just Dean. ;)

yep, knew the name was Dean, but was having a brain fart when trying to remember when I posted. Meant to put mod, but put admin for some reason. But you knew who you are! :)

shaqfan
12-07-2007, 06:15 PM
to those of you who have asked, the snake is fine. she had a few small wounds, none of which drew any blood. i picked up some reptile antiseptic and touched up the little bite marks. i didnt handle her for a day or two after that, to let her calm down, and everythign is back to normal. ive switched to stunning the mouse before feeding now.

the thing i still dont get is why my snake, even if it wasnt hungry, wouldnt quickly dispose of the mouse in the fight the same way it would if it was going to eat it

Corny Noob
12-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Some times they're not always the brightest creatures.
Hence snakes who are horribly covered in bodily wounds. They will actually sit there and let the mouse pick them to death sometimes.

Mr.AJ
12-07-2007, 07:07 PM
to those of you who have asked, the snake is fine. she had a few small wounds, none of which drew any blood. i picked up some reptile antiseptic and touched up the little bite marks. i didnt handle her for a day or two after that, to let her calm down, and everythign is back to normal. ive switched to stunning the mouse before feeding now.

the thing i still dont get is why my snake, even if it wasnt hungry, wouldnt quickly dispose of the mouse in the fight the same way it would if it was going to eat it

Glad to hear the snakes doing ok and that you've learnt from the experience.

Theres no better outcome we could of hoped for from this thread!. :)

Roy Munson
12-07-2007, 07:17 PM
the thing i still dont get is why my snake, even if it wasnt hungry, wouldnt quickly dispose of the mouse in the fight the same way it would if it was going to eat itI don't think you can just chalk this up to a corn's low intelligence.

A corn snake's instinct drives it to kill potential prey. If it's not hungry (or for some other reason rejects a traditional prey item), the other animal is not prey. In the wild, instinct would cause a corn snake to flee predators and other dangerous animals. A snake cannot flee a mouse in a closed viv or feeding tub. "Constriction" is not a tool in a corn snake's instinctive "defense toolbox". It's in its "feeding toolbox".

hartsock
12-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Theres no better outcome we could of hoped for from this thread!. :)

Hold on....

Well, I am certain glad that the snake is okay and hope he eats okay for you the next time. If he doesn't don't panic, I know a boa who was attacked and he had a fear of any prey, live or dead, for months afterward.

All joking aside and looking at what you said Shaqfan....I would consider the mouse that did the attack "stunned" as well. It was just the snake that did it and not you. Stunning isn't going to fix the problem, it is watching the snake while the mouse is in there completely so it doesn't revive and go after the snake. Just ensure that if you plan on leaving it in over night that it is certainly dead, or pull it out and finish it off before you walk out of the room.
Good luck! :)