PDA

View Full Version : shedding

shedding

kensei
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
my adult corn was in blue for about 5 days and then his eyes cleared up 3 days ago. he still hasn't shed yet so i'm starting to get a little worried because i've read that corns usually shed within 24-48 hrs after their eyes clear up. temps range from 73-85 and i bumped up humidity to about 55% with daily misting of his rubbermaid tub. throughout the day he moves between the warm and cool ends of the tub. are there any behavioral signs that i can look for that show hes ready to shed or is there anything i can do? could there be something wrong?

Nanci
11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
He should shed any minute! There's nothing you can do to hurry him up.

Nanci

Jrgh17
11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
At some point, you'll get to see the shedding process. It's pretty cool. They start rubbing the nose and such against anything in the tank... and eventually it comes off like a sock (hopefully). They do get really active right before shedding.

kensei
11-30-2007, 02:51 PM
hrm, i guess i just have to be patient... how long have you guys had a snake go once their eyes had cleared before they shed? and do they generally tend to shed during the day/evening/overnight?

diamondlil
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
James, they usually wait until you stop watching!

Jrgh17
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Some of mine take a day... and one of mine has gone 9 days before. :shrugs: As long as the shed is fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally, they shed overnight or in the evening.

Corny Noob
11-30-2007, 03:35 PM
i've read that corns usually shed within 24-48 hrs after their eyes clear up.

See that's the kicker. Sometimes it's hard to remember that they didn't read the books like we did.

kensei
11-30-2007, 03:41 PM
James, they usually wait until you stop watching!

lol... that's too bad cause i really want to watch him shed. the skins gotta come off sooner or later so we'll see who wins this battle...

MerlinsPop
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Is there anything slightly rough in the tub? For one snake I have those coconut hides and she always uses that to get the shed going. The others I made hides out of small clay pots and they seem to use the slightly rough opening I cut. If everything you have in there is smooooth, it might take the snake a while longer to catch it on something so it can peel off.

kensei
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Is there anything slightly rough in the tub? For one snake I have those coconut hides and she always uses that to get the shed going. The others I made hides out of small clay pots and they seem to use the slightly rough opening I cut. If everything you have in there is smooooth, it might take the snake a while longer to catch it on something so it can peel off.

well he has an exoterra reptile cave, some jungle vine, and some fake plants that he could rub against... not sure if these are considered to be too smooth though?

diamondlil
11-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I usually find sheds wound around the fake plants, so the vines should do the trick

kensei
12-01-2007, 12:32 AM
wow, he JUST shed and it was really cool to watch. perfect shed also, all in one piece! very happy :)

kensei
12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
i think hes hungry now but its a bit late to feed him (just past midnight) so i'll prob feed tmrw.

Jrgh17
12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
wow, he JUST shed and it was really cool to watch. perfect shed also, all in one piece! very happy :)

Make sure you check that the eyecaps are there...

Wasn't it awesome, btw?

kensei
12-01-2007, 01:08 AM
eyecaps are there... and yes it was very cool!
i'll take pictures tmrw of his new skin :)