• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Constipated? Small lump & coiled up in water dish?

ChrisM

Our 3 1/2 year old corn was found this morning coiled up in his water. Checked to see if he was too hot but the temp was fine. Came home to find him still in there, we took him out & he has a small lump about about 3/4 of the way towards his tale. Put him in a warm bath & he went to the bathroom but it was a very small amount, much less tha usual. He's moving around fine & doesn't seem to be in pain but I haven't found anything on this forum that mentions snakes soaking due to constipation. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Most snakes will poop when you put them in a warm bath. Be real careful to not get too warm. Use a thermometer.

In my experience, snakes soak in their water bowl for one of two reasons, one to help with a shed. The second reason is due to a lack of a good hiding place. The snake is "hiding" in the water bowl.

Try putting in a couple of good hiding places or move around the ones already in there. I bet the soaking stops.

I've had snakes soak in the water dish all night, temps were OK no mites, just sit in the water. It may be hiding??? The lump if you could show pics of the snake and the lump we could give more help. What is his weight? Some snakes get fat lumps? susang

Lump?

Hey there! Are you sure that your snake is a male? I had a female once who had a pretty hard lump in her. I soaked her in a warm bath, and she tried to go to the bathroom, but couldn't go very much. I took her to the vet thinking she was impacted, but she ended up being eggbound, an issue that can become very life-threatening to the snake if left untreated. Also, do you feed in the snake's cage or in a seperate container? If you feed in their cage on sa substrate like aspen, they can sometimes accidently ingest it and become impacted that way, but I think it's more of a bigger deal in younger/smaller snakes, though don't quote me on that...whatever it is, I hope your snake gets better! I would try soaking him a few times more, and if there's no progress, you might want to take him to a vet. I tried soaking mine for a span over a week, nothing happened, and so I took her to a vet where they gave her an x-ray..sure enough, eggbound! =P

If the bath feels warm to you, its burning to your snake! Should feel cool to you, about the same temp as the warm side in your vivarium at the most. (use a thermometer if you can)

Could be all sorts, a pic really would help.

Back