PDA

View Full Version : My snake is suffering from a serious injury, id appreciate it if you kept him in...

My snake is suffering from a serious injury, id appreciate it if you kept him in...

Taxidermy
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
your thoughts.

I carelessly let my youngest cousin (10) hold my corn snake, Johnny, a week ago. Apparently, she had done something wrong to him to cause trauma. We took him to the vet this morning in which he said that his spine, and the muscles around it had suffered nerve damage. He said it could take up to two months to heal, but his main concern was how he would go about eating. I havent tried to feed him yet, and i don't plan to until the middle of december. Since he cant contract his muscles, I dont see how he will move his food down. I don't know, im just upset with myself that I tried to enlighten a family member about snakes. I know she's only ten, but she should have been more careful. Ah. I want to beat myself up over it, but theres nothing I can really do, or anyone can do. Only time will tell, please keep him in your thoughts.

MerlinsPop
12-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Best of luck... please keep us posted.

Taryn7
12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear that!! I don't know what to suggest. I guess all you can do is wait and see what happens. She must have been really rough - my 6 year old nephew has his own amel corn and there have never been any problems with him being too rough.

Nanci
12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I hope he makes it. Two months isn't too long to go without eating if the snake isn't a tiny baby. Poor guy.

Nanci

Mr.AJ
12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Poor little bugger :(

Maybe if you fed him small food, Say a chopped up pinky?. Would that help?.

Susan
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I sorry to hear that your snake is injured. If you can give us a little more information, we may be able to help. First, how old and how big is your corn snake? Second, exactly where the spine is the injury? Did you notice a problem immediately after your cousin held the snake? Is your snake on any medications for the injury? Ask your vet is putting your snake into brumation would be a good idea. Your snake would then not need to be fed, and would also be less active and less likely to cause more damage through moving. I'm not sure, however, if the lowered metabolism would hinder the healing process.

Taxidermy
12-01-2007, 03:02 PM
He's three years old and about 3 and a half feet.

I mean, he moves fine, its just when you pick him up, his neck goes limp.

Either way, the vet just said to wait it out, feed him in december a small mouse to see if he is able to pass it. Im almost scared to feed him ): i dont want him to dieee.

But if it gets to that point, if he is unable to eat, then thats the only thing im able to do i suppose. Humanely have him euthenized.

CornNoobie
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
If he is 3yrs old and 3.5 feet, I think he would manage for the 2 months without eating, not ideal I know, but he should be ok. Personally id give him a few weeks complete rest without attempting to handle him, then check on him and if there is some improvement, then id decide whether to give him a pinkie just to tide him over and see how he goes with it. Definately keep his next meal small though, take your time and go slowly. Wish you the best of luck with him and dont beat yourself up about it. Keep us posted :)

Taxidermy
12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
(: Thank you.

): I do feel down and bad about it. I even cried. But what can that do, right?

Ah well, you get something as a baby, and as it grows you become attached no matter what it is.

Mushu777
12-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, 2 months. A snake of 3 years can definently make. I know I'm a rookie, but I think he should be fine. You pick him up and his neck goes limp. That's weird. I've seen things at pet stores that are supposed to aid in trauma. I don't know if the stuff works. Leave your snake be for a while, feed him when the vet says to. Hope he gets bettter!

Susan
12-02-2007, 05:53 AM
At his size and age, he shouldn't have a problem at all not eating for 2 months. In a couple of weeks, you can do what your vet recommended and offer him a small meal. A fuzzy or small jumper would be perfect. Not too big, but not too small either. If your snake is able to move around its viv, it sounds like it should be able to swallow its meals. I'm not sure what sort of condition would cause your snake's neck to go limp when you pick it up. I'm a veterinary technician and it just may be that it's early and I've not had my coffee yet, but I simply can't think of any condition/injury that fits your description. Did your vet take an x-ray of your snake?

Mushu777
12-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Try feeding your snake a small frozen mouse when it is time. I would not recommend feeding your snake a live mouse after reouperation. This way he will not hurt himself trying to kill the mouse. If your snake does not eat that, then stun the mouse by lightly hitting it in the head with something hard. Hope your snake gets better!

Cflaguy
12-02-2007, 04:18 PM
to go the healing time without eating. I'm assuming at his age he is good shape and can withstand not eating for the duration. Just food for thought, George at the Serpentarium uses baby food as an alternative with snakes on the mend from digestion problems and as a staple for his snakes on the venom line. Go to Pet Bazzar and see if they have the pinkie gun or another force feeding apparatus. If you go that route.

bitsy
12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
I have a Corn that suffered crush injuries to his spine and ribs for about the first third of his body. These healed but have resulted in horrible distortion to his skeletal structure. However, he eats normally and apart from being able to pull the most stomach-churning contortions, appears to behave normally.

I hope that yours has the same recovery.

I'm a bit worried about his head/neck going limp when picked up. Do his head/neck appear to be OK when he's moving around in his tank? I'm wondering if his accident has left him afraid of handling, and whether maybe this is part of a "playing dead" strategy designed to make you put him down.

Ohana
12-03-2007, 08:59 AM
That really sux. I am sorry and I hope that your snake recovers well.