PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice- a sick baby

Need some advice- a sick baby

bekers71
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I went to a show Oct. 28th and came home with 3 free baby corns. I figured they were probably problem feeders or some thing else was wrong with them, hence thats why they were free. The breeder said he just got them from a friend and didnt want to mess with them. They were all very skinny, dehydrated and weak. Well needless to say I couldn't save 2 but the last one kept hanging on. He is only about 9 inches long which tells me he is pretty young. He was doing really well up until about 10 days ago. Eating every 4 days and gaining weight. Then he regurged. I waited 9 days to feed again yesterday and he regurged again. He has lost all his weight and is getting dehydrated again. I don't handle him except to clean his vive. Its housed in a 6 qt container with plenty of vent holes. The temp is 83 degrees, newspaper bedding and I use a lid off a jelly jar for a water dish. One thing worth mentioning is when I got him I noticed that when he slithered it seems like he has trouble keeping the back half of his body upright. Like his belly turns out to the side when he is going. I ran my finger gently down the back and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches past the head I can feel a bump on the spine. Oh and he hasn't shed. Any one got any words of advice or ideas of what to do? I don't want to give up on him but don't want him to suffer either.

Roy Munson
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't think he's going to make it. :( With that body-twist thing you describe, the terrible condition he was in when you received him, and a kink on top of that, he's probably lucky to have made it this long. And a healthy, growing hatchling would probably have shed since 10/28. A pink every four days was probably pushing it a little too, but I think the odds were against him from the start. You could try feeding him a pinky head, and see if he can keep it down, but I'm thinking that euthanasia may be the best thing for the poor guy.

Topazfyre
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Before anything else, I will say that you should probably try to see a vet soon to get a proper diagnosis, as this could easily be something very bad with two regurges.

Does he seem to have trouble staying upright in your hands or just in his viv? I know that some corns will grip onto something with their back, but if he is having trouble just slithering around that could be a neurological problem. Try laying him ventral up on a flat surface and letting go. If he corrects himself then he should be fine- it just might be that he's being lazy.

Is the bump more like a swelling or a kink (scoliosis)? Pics of this would be great. If it's a kink, it's very possible that it might be the cause of the regurges somehow. Swelling could indicate a deeper problem, although I have no idea about what that problem may be. (The only thought that comes to my head would be cypto, but that usually presents swelling in the lower 2/3 of the snake.)

Sorry this isn't really much of a help, I'm sure the other members could give you better insights (or correct mine if I'm wrong about something). Best of luck with your little one.

Have there been any changes at all? In prey size or

bekers71
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
OK I just took a few pics but don't know how good they will be. I tried to get pics of the knot i feel on his back but it doesnt stick up enough to show on the camera. But I did notice there is a second knot at the end of his back towards the tail but past the vent. He is active though and was trying to get away.

He slithers like this no matter where he is and tries to grip with his tail but its not a tight grip like you would expect from a baby.

bekers71
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I am having a hard time getting the pics on here. It keeps telling me they are too big. This is the only one I can get up right now. You can see the knot a little-about 9 "dots" down the back. I will work on getting the rest on here but I keep having to use Paint to down size pics and its taking for ever. Sorry.:confused:

Velvet
12-06-2007, 05:37 AM
It looks like a pretty bad kink...

Topazfyre
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I would agree. That's probably what is causing him issues and why he was given away free. Looks like the best option right now might be euthanasia. I'm sorry...

Velvet
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I definitely agree, as hard as it is...

I think it's most likely the kink that's causing the problems and this will not go away, even if he does pull through now, it will most likely cause problems for the rest of his life...

rolandslf
12-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi there.
I agree with what everyone is saying, I am writing this with a lump in my throat but I think euthanasia is the mercifull thing to do.
I feel your pain but I ask please end the poor little guys suffering.

Ciao