• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scales falling OFF?!!

Chester'sDad

Hey Everyone,

I brought Chester out today and was lookin at her. There appeared to be a small piece of old skin on her, so I rubbed it to see if it would come off. When I rubbed it, the whole scale came off! And its white underneath. Can anyone explain to me why this happened, and what I can do about it? Im really freakin out! Thanks.

Take Care,
Jordan

It's either something bad or some kind of freak occurance. Either the scale was just loose for some reason (maybe it was bent funny at one point, I dunno) or it's some kind of condition.

Since you say there was a funny-looking patch I'd say get the snake to a vet. I've never heard of scales falling out. Could be some type of fungus or parasite that the vet can clear up with topical ointment or something...

It's either something bad or some kind of freak occurance. Either the scale was just loose for some reason (maybe it was bent funny at one point, I dunno) or it's some kind of condition.

Since you say there was a funny-looking patch I'd say get the snake to a vet. I've never heard of scales falling out. Could be some type of fungus or parasite that the vet can clear up with topical ointment or something...

My parents are people that dont think reptiles need to see a vet. Also, we are having money problems right now, so that isnt even possible. She acts totally fine, and it was that one spot. That scale has always looked weird though.

I will get a pic later, I have to leave right now. I was really freaking out. I still am actually!

I'm just curious why it is reptiles don't need to see vets in your parents opinion? vets are for all animals not just your standard mammal. I know I have been guilty of having an animal that probably should have seen a vet and never taken them due to financial issues, however I do have the background to do some at-home remedies. If this is something serious, which I am not sure that it is yet, you really should see the vet. A mild case of mouth rot or the early stages of an RI are one thing but if you start noticing more scales falling off, well I would have to say thats pretty serious. Be careful posting about not going to a vet by the way some people just don't understand and will burn you at the stake for it.

Well, my parents are not reptile people. But if it was something serious, my parents would take me. Unfortunately, we are having financial problems at the moment, and cant take her. I know some at-home remedies myself and I am usually able to get stuff figured out, , but this totally blew my mind. I would get her into the vet ASAP, but I cant afford it at the moment. And if people want to burn me at the stake, oh well. I'll get over it. Actually, I wont get over it, because it wont faze me in the first place. :rofl:

I believe it is possible that if you snake didn't shed over that scale that the left behind skin would cause the scale under neath to die. Just like at the tip of a tail. Although that being said, the likely hood that just 1 scale would be affected is low. It would be more like a patch.

Post some pics if you can

I believe it is possible that if you snake didn't shed over that scale that the left behind skin would cause the scale under neath to die. Just like at the tip of a tail. Although that being said, the likely hood that just 1 scale would be affected is low. It would be more like a patch.

Post some pics if you can

Sounds like a good theory to me (Although, i know naff all about snakes im still learning!).

Pics were posted in another thread (http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60127)

But ill host one here for the OP anyway, just to avoid confusion. :)

IttyBittyEggandChesterScale004.jpg

Oh, I didn't see the other thread, thanks! I would say nothing to worry about and it probably will grow back. But of course nothing beats going to a vet.

Just had a quick google search for you, and it seems the general concensus of them growing back gradually with every shed is correct!.

If i was you though id take a good look, make sure theres no open wound or anything where the missing scale is.. and i'd guess aslong as you keep it clean while its regrowing you should be fine. :)

Thank You both. Thanks for posting the pic for me, Mr. AJ. I've checked it out a lot when I had her out, and I cant see anything at all. Its just a perfect oval where the scale fell off. I'm obviously going to keep an eye on it, but hopefully its nothing major. Thanks again!

Hey Jordan,

I've been curious about this, so I saved the picture, blew it up to 400% and took a look at the scale. Here's the picture. I drew a box around what I see. It looks like there's a little line going across that scale. To me, this looks like Chester was injured, and the scale was too damaged to be repaired, so it fell off.

IttyBittyEggandChesterScale004.jpg

Let me know if anyone else sees this or if I've been in the catnip again. :grin01:

Nice catch. Still the damage doesn't look signifigant and it should fix itself. Just keep an eye on it.

Thanks, Jenni!

I never noticed that! I really appreciate everyones help. I need to start wearing my glasses more often! :rofl:

Im feeding her today, so I'll check it out. I've been checking it out whenever I see her out and about, I'll let you all know what goes on! Thanks Again!

Take Care,
Jordan

Back