PDA

View Full Version : HELP new worried owner, tank not hot enough

HELP new worried owner, tank not hot enough

amyloveys
12-10-2007, 01:29 PM
i have just got my three month old corn snake and his tank on the hot side is only reading 69F, i know this isnt good enough and dont know how to gt it any warmer. he has a heat mat covering just under half his tank and i have polysterene underneath to help!
help me im so worried about him being to cold!

Rich in KY
12-10-2007, 01:45 PM
If the heat mat is only getting to 69*F what is the temp in the room? Are you sure the heat mat is working?

GillyMonster
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I use A heat lamp to get the temp were I want it,heat lamp is heat adjustable by zoo med @ pet co.But like rich said are you sure mat is working?

bitsy
12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Where are you measuring the temp and what are you using to measure it with?

You need to have the thermometer at ground level, on top of where the mat is. That's where the snake is, so that's where you have to get the warmest temp.

Also, if you have the stick-on cardboard or dial-type thermometers, they're not very accurate.

amyloveys
12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
hiya,
no im not sure on the heat pad i actually have two on it,one on the side and one on the bottom as they are both not as hot as they should be!
i dont know what else to do as its too late to get hold of a proffesional and i cant get to the reptile shop i got him from until sunday!

amyloveys
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM
hiya
im using a digital thermostat with the sensor on the bottom of the viv!

bitsy
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds like the stat sensor is in the right place. Try turning the thermostat up and see if the temps increase. If it's one of the ones with temps marked on the dial, these can sometimes be inaccurate.

Don't bother measuring the temperature on the side of the tank unless you've given your snake climbing equipment and he can spend time up there. The main focus should be to get the belly heat right, which is the floor of the tank.

Don't panic. If your home is warm enough for you to be comfortable, then your Corn will be fine for a few days while you get things sorted.

Ohana
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Sometimes my warm side gets that low. It certainly won't hurt your snake. Like Bitsy said, if your house is warm enough for you to be comfortable then your snake should be fine.

Right now my little one is in a viv without a heat pad. The temp in the house is steady at 70 degrees F and she is doing just fine. She will not stay like this forever and will soon go into her new home.

strongboW
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Lol Dont no mate prbz isnt working correct i wld go get a new one quick

djfreebase
12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Dont rush out buying a new heat mat just yet, listen to the advise from experienced corn snake owners . Like others have said if your home is warm tour corn should be o.k. Check your mat is giving any heat, sounds stupid but it may be worth checking your fuse.

wade
12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Dont rush out buying a new heat mat just yet, listen to the advise from experienced corn snake owners . Like others have said if your home is warm tour corn should be o.k. Check your mat is giving any heat, sounds stupid but it may be worth checking your fuse.

That is a real good point, are you sure you have the mat plugged into a hot circuit and the thing is turned on.

Where is the snake spending it's time. Is it sitting on the mat or at the cool end? Is it acting like it's cold?

amyloveys
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
its actually staying in the cool side! his hide is over both hot and warm temps so hes not just going for a safe place

djfreebase
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
If he/she is hiding on the cool side, its because proberly he/she is warm enough. Have you checked your heat mat yet?

amyloveys
12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
at the moment im using both the heat mats which have got the temp up to 84, one is one the side and one on the bottom