PDA

View Full Version : Poopless in Austin.

Poopless in Austin.

Shaky
05-10-2002, 07:58 AM
I have a snake that won't poop. Its been quite a while-probably a month. He is exhibiting breeding-season behaviors, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't poo.
I've tried a couple of warm water soaks to no avail.
Any advice?

lynn
05-12-2002, 01:40 AM
What kind of substrate do you use? It could be that it has got compacted if it has swallowed some, is he still eating as well?

jim
05-12-2002, 08:48 AM
if he is still eating well and not voiding he is probably impacted. you can try very light massageto see if there are any hard lumps. if you find any a light massage followed by a warm bath (85-90 degrees fahrenheit) will normally do the trick. if this does not work before trying the vet use an eyedropper and give him mineral oil by mouth (2-3 drops is enough for a small snake) then repeat the above in 2-3 days. good luck, jim

Shaky
05-12-2002, 08:55 PM
The oil is the same advice that I got from someone else. Tried it today(used Olive oil that I poured on the mouse as it went into the gullet). We'll see.
I was hoping someone would suggest oil, as I was already wondering about it. A vet did that for a dog of ours that had swallowed something bad. Its probably what the vet would do for me now and charge me for it.;)

LizS
05-13-2002, 08:32 AM
The olive oil might work, but if it doesn't, use mineral oil next time. Mineral oil doesn't get absorbed by the gut like edible oils and goes through the GI tract intact, doing its job of lubricating.

Shaky
05-14-2002, 08:15 AM
thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll let you know how everything works out.

LizS
05-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Hope everything comes out alright...;)

tschofie
05-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Pun intended?

LizS
05-14-2002, 01:23 PM
yup.

Doctor Mike
05-15-2002, 03:32 AM
Best course would be to get to a herp vet pronto for diagnosis and treatment by a pro. Until you can do that, follow these rules.

Recommend you stop feeding to avoid complicating any possible impaction until this case is diagnosed properly. If the pipe is already clogged, don't clog it more.

Go to plain white, no chemical, no scent paper towels so you can carefully observe any regurgitation or excrement. Change daily and observe frequently so you know the date and approximate time of any expulsion.

Hold your snake up to a bright light and look for dark masses that may be impactions. Feel your snake's body gently and carefully for masses.

Hydration is important, so have lots of water present and change it daily. The oil tricks may also help to loosen any impaction.

You say you haven't seen poop for a month--have you still been feeding all that time? If so, either the poop disappeared in the substrate, or your snake may be very seriously impacted.

To all--recommend that you always note at least 1 bowel movement in the days after feeding before you feed anything again. Last out before next in, always.

Keep us posted, and best health to your corn,
Doctor Mike