PDA

View Full Version : grapefruit extract

grapefruit extract

snakemanone
05-24-2003, 04:17 PM
i just picked this up at my local health shop

and i was wondering if its the right stuff and if so what dosages are safe.

13mur 6
05-24-2003, 04:52 PM
yep, looks like the right stuff. A drop or two per 2 cups of water should be good. I use 33% concentration.

-13mur 6

snakemanone
05-24-2003, 04:56 PM
13mur6.

now i know its ok i shall use it ,thanx again mate.

.STEVE

Tim Madsen
05-24-2003, 05:58 PM
I use 15 drops per gallon of water. I've heard of people using up to 25 drops per gallon with no ill effect. But 15 seems to get the job done. IMHO

CAV
05-24-2003, 09:53 PM
I have been using a reptile specific water conditioner in my water. Do you guys use anything else or just the GSE?

NCSUjle
05-25-2003, 10:16 AM
I use Zoo Med Reptisafe, and I think it works great. I picked up that habit from working with snakes at my university, where we use the same product for the many cages we deal with in the research facilities :D

CAV
05-25-2003, 11:31 AM
I use the same thing.

jakethesnake001
05-25-2003, 02:00 PM
what is that grapefruit stuff for?

CAV
05-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Here is a recent thread about GSE. CowBoyWay does a good job explaining it, so I'll let him.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4056&highlight=grapefruit+seed+extract

There a several others here:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=29901&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

snakemanone
05-25-2003, 02:39 PM
TRY THIS GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT
Here is a passage from "the corn snake manual" and it goes...........

Grapefruit seed extract has been a known suppressor of bacteria
in agriculture for a decade and is available for human use from healthfood stores.

A few drops added to the water bowl, after a three-day
withholding period to ensure thirst,has yeilded encouraging results with young corns prone to regurgitation.

STEVE

carol
05-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Different brands of this stuff have different concentrations. The best way to test your concentration is to taste it yourself. It should only be stong enough to leave a slight bitter aftertaste. If it doesn't taste too bad and the acidity does not harm your mouth, than it is probably an OK solution for your corn.

Tim Madsen
05-26-2003, 05:21 PM
I have a Western Hognose that regurged about every other meal for six months. Since I put GSE in it's water it hasn't regurged once. That's been two months now. Before I could only feed it pinkies every ten days. Now she's eating two fuzzies twice a week. I'm sold on the stuff. IMHO

CowBoyWay
05-26-2003, 09:28 PM
"Triple Strength
Versus
Regular Strength

Triple strength grapefruit seed extract is 60% active ingredient (Citricidal) and 40% vegetable glycerine and is the basic formula supplied by the manufacturer.

The regular strength grapefruit seed extract sold nationwide in health food stores and pharmacies contains 1 part of the above concentration and 2 parts glycerine.
It is labeled as 33% active ingredients. In fact it contains only 20% active ingredients since the basic extract already contains 40% glycerine.
So in reality 33% is only 1/3 the potency of triple strength.

I use 10 drops of standard regular strength G.S.E., to the gallon of Water, up from the three drops per gallon concentration I had been using up until recently.
9 drops of regular strength G.S.E. is equal to 100 parts per million per gallon of H2O, of the active ingredient, (Citricidal).