PDA

View Full Version : What happens when snake and cat collide

What happens when snake and cat collide

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-19-2007, 10:20 PM
One of my fav snakes got out of her cage and my BF's cat found her, she got pretty beat up but on the bright side she is alive and will heal with the help of anti-biotics and ointment. My BF found her under the frige and I noticed blood and started to freak out, when I tried to pick her up she bit me which she NEVER bites so I knew something was wrong. There's no way to take pics of all the wounds but I took a couple. I stopped counting at 27 =( My poor poor girl.

All the "black" is puncture wounds

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury6.jpg

The injury I was most concerned about

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury.jpg

Right side

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury5.jpg

Part of Left Side (two bites)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury4.jpg

Close up of the injury I was most scared about

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury3.jpg

Another puncture wound

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xxmetalsangelxx/mooninjury2.jpg

darkmorning1
12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
am so sorry. thank goodness she a bit bigger then a baby if she was still really young i think the cat would have really gotten her. am sure she will heal up well. one of my little ones got out and i only noticed because my cat was trying to claw under the Cages.

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah she will be fine, she spent a couple of hours at a emergency animal hospital and then saw a DVM today. She's in good spirit and ate tonight so she's doing really well, she's my strong girl.

ghosthousecorns
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh man, that sucks... I am glad the prognosis is good. I can't blame her for biting after what she went through, poor girl. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah I knew as soon as she bit me something serious was going on with her. It sucks that she was basically mauled but she's a live so it could have been alot worse.

ZoologyMajor
12-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh no! Poor girl. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Glad it wasn't worse.

Nanci
12-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Poor baby- she looks very angry! I don't suppose you could take her to a vet and see if she needs antibiotics. That's a lot of cat bites.

mele2511
12-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Just a little tip if you are not already doing it.. I would recomend that you remove the substrate and use newspaper untill the wounds heal.

diamondlil
12-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Ouch! That must have been quite a shock to find. I hope she responds to treatment and is on the road to recovery soon.

Cegninedorf
12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
This is exactly the reason why I am so paranoid about my snakes' lids! I do know that accidents happen and that snakes escape, but I do worry about what my own cats (which are big babies!) would do to such an enticing moving toy...:shrugs:

TWGarland
12-20-2007, 07:53 AM
its looks like shes done ok for herself, I would have thought most wouldn't have come out of a fight with a cat that well off, maybe its the snake thats got nine lives in this case ;)

mele2511
12-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Lol bring that cat to my house and i will let one of my Big BP's get some vengence for you !!!!!

dogsNdragons
12-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I am sorry that happened. I hope she has a full recovery.

Corny Noob
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
How on earth did she get out?
I hope she recovers soon.

ZoologyMajor
12-20-2007, 03:36 PM
If you haven't already done so you might want to take her to the vet. Cat claws carry a certain bacteria (from their litter) that can release toxins into her. Severe cat injuries and sometimes not so severe can get really bad and in rare cases in humans has been fatal. My professor even had to be treated this year for a large cat scratch because it progressively got worse. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Jessicat
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
How on earth did she get out?

Maybe she was looking for food... :sidestep:

Maize411
12-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about her injuries..I hope she makes a good recovery..I'm always scared of what would happen if my snakes got out..we have 3 cats..all 3 are very tough..one being an outside cat from birth and he always used to kill small animals and leave them on our doorstep..So I know my snakes would be in HUGE trouble if they ever escaped..anyway..hope your snake feels better soon...keep us posted on her recovery :0)

dionythicus
12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, what scary looking injuries! I'm glad the vet is optimistic about her recovery. Keep us informed on her progress. Bad kitty....a lump of coal for you for Christmas!

Nanci
12-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Sorry, I missed that you'd already taken her to a vet. I'd be so worried about what was punctured.

I love cats, and really miss mine, (gave up in divorce- left them in their home) but there is no way with all my snakes and dragon and flightless pigeon that I'd ever feel safe with one in the house now.

xXMetalsAngelXx
12-20-2007, 08:27 PM
If you haven't already done so you might want to take her to the vet. Cat claws carry a certain bacteria (from their litter) that can release toxins into her. Severe cat injuries and sometimes not so severe can get really bad and in rare cases in humans has been fatal. My professor even had to be treated this year for a large cat scratch because it progressively got worse. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I took her to a emergency clinic that night. I'm a vet tech so I know all about bacteria in cat's mouths and their claws. So like said before she is on meds and a anti-biotic cream. The day after I took her to a regular DVM just to make sure sutures weren't needed. She is also on newspaper now and not substrate because of the wounds, didn't need a DVM to tell me to do that just common sence haha. She is doing very well, bright and alert and her normal sweet self today =)

Thx for all the concerns.

She got out because she's a corn and if they can find something to get their head through well they'll get out. So she is in a new cage now. She is resting well and very good about taking her meds. Her recheck is in a week.

snakes88
12-20-2007, 08:35 PM
thats what i was worried about when mine(a juvenille) got out. hope shes ok

Susielea
12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Ouch that looks nasty, but I'm glad the vet feels she will be ok.

Hope she makes a full recovery and returns to her normal self soon.

Best wishes,

MegF.
12-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Hope she recovers quickly. One of the hatchlings escaped from his tub the other night and I found him at 2 in the morning when the cats were walking across our heads trying to get him from behind the clock on the bed. How that little guy got aaaallll the way up there is beyond me, but he had no injuries at all. Pretty good considering he had to get out of the snake room, down the hall and up the bed without getting nailed by two cats or the dogs. The next morning my husband said "was I dreaming or was there a snake in the bed?" I had to admit that there was indeed a snake in the bed!