PDA

View Full Version : How Cold is Too Cold?

How Cold is Too Cold?

Weebonilass
12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Okay, I know that this has been discussed, but I can't find any threads related to it. How cold is too cold to take a snake outside for pictures? I think part of my problem with my pictures is my lighting. I have cathredal type ceilings so the lighting is real funky.

It's suppose to be in the mid-50s this weekend here in the St Louis/So. IL area. Too cold to take the 6 yr old and the yearlings outside?

Roy Munson
12-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Okay, I know that this has been discussed, but I can't find any threads related to it. How cold is too cold to take a snake outside for pictures? I think part of my problem with my pictures is my lighting. I have cathredal type ceilings so the lighting is real funky.

It's suppose to be in the mid-50s this weekend here in the St Louis/So. IL area. Too cold to take the 6 yr old and the yearlings outside?

I wouldn't worry about mid-50s for corns over 150g or so, as long as the photo sessions were reasonably short (~10 minutes).

Nanci
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
The reason I took Jasper out last night is because it was 68F out- same as it was in my house! I don't think I'd go colder than 60, though. Unless you could put them in direct sun with radient heat. You know, like on a warm sidewalk or step or something. I won't take Isabel out if it's under 75!

Weebonilass
12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
The reason I took Jasper out last night is because it was 68F out- same as it was in my house! I don't think I'd go colder than 60, though. Unless you could put them in direct sun with radient heat. You know, like on a warm sidewalk or step or something. I won't take Isabel out if it's under 75!

LOL Nanci,

In So IL, it takes it getting up to 80 for several days for a surface to warm up. It's dang cold here! Of course, Wis. it ain't :)

Thanks Dean, sounds like I need to skip it as I would need to take them somewhere and Kieran is the only one over 150... so guess I need to get creative with the lighting I currently have available.

Nanci
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Maybe you could find a greenhouse or something that would let you go there and photograph!

Corny Noob
12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Well the way I figure, if I'm cold, it's no good.
But when they're brumating in the wild they're in pretty cold conditions sometimes :shrugs:

Roy Munson
12-20-2007, 01:55 PM
LOL Nanci,

In So IL, it takes it getting up to 80 for several days for a surface to warm up. It's dang cold here! Of course, Wis. it ain't :)

Thanks Dean, sounds like I need to skip it as I would need to take them somewhere and Kieran is the only one over 150... so guess I need to get creative with the lighting I currently have available.
Well, I also wasn't taking into consideration the staging of the photos. Most of my shots, even the outdoor ones, are "in hand". 55* ambient air temps aren't that big of a deal while the snake is wrapped around my 98* arm and hand. I wouldn't want them to hang around too long on a 55* slab of concrete!

Weebonilass
12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, I also wasn't taking into consideration the staging of the photos. Most of my shots, even the outdoor ones, are "in hand". 55* ambient air temps aren't that big of a deal while the snake is wrapped around my 98* arm and hand. I wouldn't want them to hang around too long on a 55* slab of concrete!

No, I wasn't thinking of concrete either... I was hoping to find a notch in a tree somewhere since I don't have anything suitable in my hard, but sounds like holding off would be better... and then perhaps at least the three oldest would be big enough to go outside :)

aztek
12-20-2007, 02:59 PM
We have not seen 40 degrees since October -_-

Weebonilass
12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
We have not seen 40 degrees since October -_-

..sigh... well, we will only have a couple of days of it and then it'll drop back before into the mid 30s. There is a reason I decided not to stay in Chicago :)

aztek
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I think tomorrow it might get to 40F, but that same night it will reach 8F.

But to keep this on topic I've taken pictures of it on my mother's plant vines to compensate. :)