PDA

View Full Version : A few things to bring up....

A few things to bring up....

Jazzik
12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Well I decided to name my snake "Soap" many of you have seen the pictures...

I gave him a bath, he didnt like it too much.... basically flew up the side of my bathroom wall... lesson learnt.

He doesnt EVER poo in his Viv.. I take him out put him in his carry case for half an hour, he'll poo and then go back into the viv... Perfect makes for easy cleaning.

Im a little concerned as he always seems to sit in the same place, never really moves after I take him out he moves around the lounge without issue then goes back upto the shelf hes sitting on right now. Hes never at the warmer end of the Viv. Its not too hot, Ive removed the heatbulb and replaced it with a HeatMat with a MatStat attached to it... ceramic tiles under the substrate to spread the heat. Everything ive learnt here.

Hes 8 years old we think, and doesnt really move around or do much other than when its feeding time. Anyone got any ideas as to why this might be?

susang
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
If you have recently gotten him and he is a he come spring you'll see plenty of movement. This past spring my male went on a hunger strike and paced his viv hours on end.

Jazzik
12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Well I joined here when I got him, so it mustve been november....wouldve been early november, so about 2 months.

wax32
12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
All of my snakes pretty much just lie around. What kind of activity are you looking for in your snake?

Cegninedorf
12-24-2007, 06:20 PM
All of my snakes pretty much just lie around. What kind of activity are you looking for in your snake?

Agreed, my snakes will occasionally come out & perch on their logs and what not following digesting -- usually my snakes are active in the very early morning & late evening. I agree as well about the springtime: my classroom snake would be active more during the daytime -- I think mostly because he loved the attention, but this past spring I had to explain his constant roving about to my 2nd graders as his being on the look-out for a girlfriend as spring is the season of love (lots of new babies being born!). It was hilarious when the principal stopped in & asked about seeing Fritz out, and one of my kids said, "Yeah, he's looking for a girlfriend." :p

I've found that generally, with all of my reptiles, cooler weather months = less active, warmer weather months = more active. Kind of like people, too. :)

JustineNYC
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Agreed, my snakes will occasionally come out & perch on their logs and what not following digesting -- usually my snakes are active in the very early morning & late evening. I agree as well about the springtime: my classroom snake would be active more during the daytime -- I think mostly because he loved the attention, but this past spring I had to explain his constant roving about to my 2nd graders as his being on the look-out for a girlfriend as spring is the season of love (lots of new babies being born!). It was hilarious when the principal stopped in & asked about seeing Fritz out, and one of my kids said, "Yeah, he's looking for a girlfriend." :p

I've found that generally, with all of my reptiles, cooler weather months = less active, warmer weather months = more active. Kind of like people, too. :)

Winter blues!

Its weird because I keep the temp in my house pretty consistant.....I like to feel warm, and as soon as winter hit, even with the house temp being consistant all my corns who never go near their warm hides, started to actually use them.

Anyway, I never see mine either. I think I need to increase the days in between feedings so theyll come out and move around a bit. With feedings every 5 days, I dont see anyone, ever.

Cegninedorf
12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Anyway, I never see mine either. I think I need to increase the days in between feedings so theyll come out and move around a bit. With feedings every 5 days, I dont see anyone, ever.

I do exactly that! I wait a bit between feedings just so that I can see the buggers...:) Otherwise, I feel too much like I'm power-feeding because all I do is follow a schedule...which is no fun! My beardie & leopard geckos just seem to instantly go into "nope, nuh-uh, not having it" mode when the weather gets cooler outside; I guess it's just their own internal clock. My vet calls it "seasonal anorexia"...I'd like to get me some of that! :p

JustineNYC
12-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I do exactly that! I wait a bit between feedings just so that I can see the buggers...:) Otherwise, I feel too much like I'm power-feeding because all I do is follow a schedule...which is no fun! My beardie & leopard geckos just seem to instantly go into "nope, nuh-uh, not having it" mode when the weather gets cooler outside; I guess it's just their own internal clock. My vet calls it "seasonal anorexia"...I'd like to get me some of that! :p

Last week, I had so much going on, and day 5 came and went, then 6, then 7......

I walked into my snake room and out of the 4 that were due to eat, 4 were out and climbing. I was like 'Gee whiz, trying to tell me something'

Least they got some exercise. Im paranoid though. I have cats and I always think keeping them hungry keeps them from seeking food elsewhere.....