PDA

View Full Version : OUTSIDE?

OUTSIDE?

luvmycorn
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
i want to take my corn outside, is this ok? how big do they have to be to go outside? i want to take her for a walk on my shoulders, i havnt yet but is this ok?
also, i want to potty train her to dutty in the grass. :dancer:
how do you do that?
he he. thanks!

susang
12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I guess my first response is this is not a dog. Corn snakes are very fast when they want to get away. There are also the birds which may think they are food. I take mine out in the summer but I always have one hand on them. susang

diamondlil
12-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Personally I wouldn't take a small wriggly baby outside because I wouldn't want to chance losing it.
Generally just avoid extreme weather conditions, if it's too hot or cold for you to be comfortable it won't be good for your snake.
Can't help on the 'potty training', that's just expecting a bit too much from your snake, IMO

luvmycorn
12-22-2007, 07:41 PM
i have heard of people that have potty trained their snakes. there is a book on it too!!
thx. i just want to give her some more exersise.

diamondlil
12-22-2007, 07:43 PM
A book about potty-training snakes?

susang
12-22-2007, 08:44 PM
i have heard of people that have potty trained their snakes. there is a book on it too!!
thx. i just want to give her some more exersise.

A BOOK really, :eek: What kind of snake book are you referrig to in your many posts. I'm just curious because potty training, hybernating and exercising your snake is a little different. Sometimes people will let a gravid female glide in the grass to help her lay her eggs. Don't you have a hatchling? susang

luvmycorn
12-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I am not sure how old she is. she is 18 inches, so i think she is a year. i wont take her outside yet, maybe in another year. and the book isnt about potty training snakes, it is about corn snakes and has a small section on it. i saw it in petco. i REALLy hate the eastbay vivarium people.

ghosthousecorns
12-22-2007, 08:51 PM
i REALLy hate the eastbay vivarium people.

Why? That's probably the only pet store in the SFO bay area that really knows their stuff when it comes to reptiles.

luschen
12-23-2007, 08:39 AM
I've noticed all the nice pictures of snakes posed on the grass, in trees, etc. But is there any chance of them picking up mites or other parasites from a short time outside? I guess I am paranoid.

bitsy
12-23-2007, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't take it for a walk anywhere public. People with phobias can react in very odd ways to snakes if they're not expecting to see them and it could put you and your snake at risk of physical harm.

Stick to your garden, keep hold of it rather than letting it go, and try it while the air temps are in a range of (my guesstimate) 80-90 degrees. Pay attention to how your snake reacts - if it stresses out, take it back indoors.

And yes, what is this book that you have? Sounds like one I ought to read if they've found a way of conditioning a snake to take a dump under certain conditions. Could be because it's afraid of the outdoors of course... :)

luvmycorn
12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
well, when i was at the vivarium looking for a corn, they had their animals in these TINY boxes, and they were throughing them around everywhere. it is true they had a great selection, but i fail to beleive every one of their snakes were healthy. i bought my snake at a small place "The Animal Connection" they didnt have as many difforent kinds, but they had a guarenteed health bill for every purchace and the people their knew a lot about snakes. i bought Juliette there. by the way, can you read my thred on Mouth rot? no one has yet,

susang
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Book, which book on potty training. If you went to a reptile show or had snakes shipped to you, they come in little deli cups. Small containers for hatchlings is good, keeps them seperate from each other, easy to display. Hatchlings like close quarters, mine and many other people on here with multiple hatchling keep them in a Sterlite shoe size box. susang

highcolorcorns
12-23-2007, 03:10 PM
What morph of corn do you have...direct sunlight for extended peroid of time can sometimes actually be harmull to some. Sounds like you have good intentions...just be careful. I'm fairly new myself, and my good intentions sometimes aren't in the best health interest for my snakes..but I'm always learning!!

susang
12-23-2007, 03:10 PM
well, when i was at the vivarium looking for a corn, they had their animals in these TINY boxes, and they were throughing them around everywhere. it is true they had a great selection, but i fail to beleive every one of their snakes were healthy. i bought my snake at a small place "The Animal Connection" they didnt have as many difforent kinds, but they had a guarenteed health bill for every purchace and the people their knew a lot about snakes. i bought Juliette there. by the way, can you read my thred on Mouth rot? no one has yet,

I believe someone did ask you a question about the mouth of your snake.

highcolorcorns
12-25-2007, 03:10 AM
Also to back some people up...people breeding/or people who have many corn hatchlings keep theirs in containers that are about 3inches wide 2 inches tall and about 6 inches long... my juveniles stay in "shoeboxes" and the grown adults in "sweaterboxes."
Also, the only cornsnake book I have every seen for sale in any petco around here is Kathy Love's Book "The Corn Snake Manual" didn't find anything in it about "potty training" or anything remotely close to it.

Susan
12-25-2007, 11:17 AM
You really can't potty train a snake. You can, however, do a fairly good job of knwoing when and where your snake will poop to help keep it's viv cleaner. Most corn snakes will go potty within a few days from eating. Some go the same day, others in a few days after. Placing your snake is luke warm water will often stimulate it to poop. Once you know your snake's schedule, you can put it in the water to get it to poop, therefore sort of "potty training" it.

Taking a corn snake outside in warm weather is fine (mid-70's to upper 80's, over that only in the shade and for shorter times), as long as you watch it continually to prevent it from escaping. I am one of those people that often put my snakes in trees, etc found outside. There is always a very slight chance of a snake picking something up outside, but I seriously doubt it as most parasites are found on other snakes, and I've never seen a wild snake out in my mimosa tree.