• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

confused

hi ive had a corn for an month now and i have a light that keeps her warm but theres a problem it makes her inactive so i tured the light off and she came out straight away so i left the light off for 1 hour but when i tured it on she when staright back to sleep why does she do this???? thanks for help :)

Try using a red bulb, Or a ceramic heater. The snake wont be able to see the red bulb and the ceramic heater emits no light.

Alternatively, Get a heat mat and heat the tank from underneath. :)

I second the red bulb. I use that and a heat mat together and Amaunet is always out and climbing and digging. The red light doesn't bother em and can be left on all the time.

I've had my two corns for 10+ years I've never given them any heat at all. I live in Colorado outside temps get pretty cold, and I've always been told there are wild corn snakes living outside in parts of Nebraska, And here in Colorado. Granted they are not active during the freezing months. They do survive though.
I personally keep the inside of my home at just under 70 deg. This is about the temp. at dusk where wild corns are found. So, heat is not needed unless you keep it quite cold. Light is only for you. The snake doesn't need it or even like it. My iguannas however need UV AND heat. For them, I provide a High UV mercury heat lamp. They are active only during the day, and sleep like rocks at night.

I've had my two corns for 10+ years I've never given them any heat at all. I live in Colorado outside temps get pretty cold, and I've always been told there are wild corn snakes living outside in parts of Nebraska, And here in Colorado. Granted they are not active during the freezing months. They do survive though.
I personally keep the inside of my home at just under 70 deg. This is about the temp. at dusk where wild corns are found. So, heat is not needed unless you keep it quite cold. Light is only for you. The snake doesn't need it or even like it. My iguannas however need UV AND heat. For them, I provide a High UV mercury heat lamp. They are active only during the day, and sleep like rocks at night.

Surviving is not necessarily thriving. And let me tell you in the southeast were you actually find cornsnakes, the temps at dusk are a lot warmer than lower 70s. For a lot of folks in the southeast, that's jacket weather. As far as I know hte only thing you might find in Neb & possibly Colo are rat snakes. They are related to corns, but definitely not the same thing.

Keeping the temps up, which the OP found out, keeps the snakes more active, which what he was asking about. I believe Don Soderberg recently said that if you keep your house about 75, there wasn't much reason to have heat. Others might disagree with him. Of course, those that keep their snakes in racks don't much care how active they are. For those who keep them on display, they might want to see them move around a bit and higher temps will do that.

Keeping the temps up, which the OP found out, keeps the snakes more active, which what he was asking about. I believe Don Soderberg recently said that if you keep your house about 75, there wasn't much reason to have heat. Others might disagree with him. Of course, those that keep their snakes in racks don't much care how active they are. For those who keep them on display, they might want to see them move around a bit and higher temps will do that.[/QUOTE]

My snakes are very active, and they do breed! NOT, just survive. They are in a 75 gallon box. I use real river rock for hides. I purchased wood branches from a reptile shop and petsmart. My snakes are fairly inactive right after a feeding. However after two days they are doing laps again. My female lays eggs every year. I've only taken care of them once and 5 of 8 hatched. So, mine are active at 72 deg. They breed when the house gets warmer in the spring. This leads me back to what I said, I don't think it (heat) is needed.

Back