PDA

View Full Version : Can blizzards be lavender ?

Can blizzards be lavender ?

snakes364
05-11-2002, 09:13 AM
This 2001 offspring is from amel parents which are both het for blizzard and het for lavender. I was just wondering if this is extremely light color phase which may be just slightly darker than a blizzard. His eyes are very reddish, more so I think that regular lavenders I produce here. I'm anxious to see him in 6 months. Any other lavenders out there with this light a color?

Clint Boyer
05-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Very nice looking animal!

I don't have a lot of experience with Lavenders but the pics of amel Lavs I've seen look much different. It looks like a light Lavender from the pic, but it can be hard to tell. Any chance of hypo in the mix?

There is a chance that a solid white-Blizzard looking snake originated from amel Lavender lines. That is what some folks call a Pearl, but that is not proven by anyone I know of. That would be hard to prove with Charcoal present in your line, you wouldn't know if it was a Blizzard or a Pearl.

Regardless of all that, it definately looks like a keeper!

Jr Nimeskern
05-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Im very very new to these color patterns and all... so this is mostly a question it looks like a snow corn to me... but of course this is just a thought from me... of course it dont really look like a snow cause of the color... but do blizzard corns look like that when their young? I thought they were all white?

pewter
05-12-2002, 04:18 PM
This is a light lavender or a dark hypo lavender.
The question is why does something with black eyes hatch from breeding amel to amel???
Itīs "impossible"!
Do you breed them on your own? Are you sure that this comes from an egg from amel to amel breeding??? 100% sure that the female just had one male to breed???
very strange!!!

Simon
05-12-2002, 08:50 PM
THAT is one nice corn!!

Must be a keeper!!

Post pics when it gets bigger!

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Serpwidgets
05-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by pewter
This is a light lavender or a dark hypo lavender.
The question is why does something with black eyes hatch from breeding amel to amel???Is it just the picture, or does that corn not have pink eyes? Assuming both parents were amels, the whole clutch should have pink eyes. About 25% should have been blizzards, and about 25% opals, with about 1 in 16 expressing all 3 traits. But there shouldn't be any simple lavenders hatching from that pairing. What does the rest of the clutch look like?

snakes364
05-12-2002, 10:17 PM
I have in deed wondered how any dark shows up when I breed this pair. I would assume that the amel would cancel ANY dark out, but I have had lavenders from them before but never this light. Is there more than one gene to produce amelanism, just like there are 2 at least for erythrism?
The REAL problem comes into play when you consider that both these amel parents of the light lavender are siblings.
I have ghost with reddishe eyes too. Is that normal or is it coming from lmy lavender as well?
:rolleyes:

Warren
05-13-2002, 12:10 AM
I know I have seen two Albino Cal Kings produce all Normal babies before.
Then there is the Tyronyese Positive and Tyronyese Negative in Burmese Pythons. I think you would have to breed either two T. Positives together or two T. negative to have it work out right. I don't know.
Could it be that there are two different Amel genes working here? And unless they are exactly the same you would get a normal???
Anybody know, help!

wc

Serpwidgets
05-13-2002, 03:42 AM
Whatever that is, it isn't amelanistic. The only 4 possibilities I know of are:[list=1] the two siblings (this one's parents) are expressing two different forms of amelanism (extremely unlikely)
there was a spontaneous mutation (extremely unlikely)
some other trait is masking the expression of amelanism (extremely unlikely)
one or both of the parents are not amelanistic (that should be pretty hard to miss)[/list=1]
I haven't heard of a second form of amelanism in corns yet. You said there have been other hatchlings like this from the same pair, and I can't imagine multiple spontaneous mutations happening. I've also never heard of any traits that mask amelanism. I would suggest breeding two of these "lavender" offspring together and see what comes out. Something is definitely going on.

The "ruby eyed" trait has showed up in ghosts and lavenders. AFAIK it's unrelated to any known trait. I don't know that anyone has tracked the appearance of the trait, so who knows. I'm waiting for blue eyes to show up. :)

pewter
05-13-2002, 04:13 AM
very very strange...

...snakes364 also told me that he has a friend with amels that produce sometimes normals.
I never heard of that before.
I donīt want to say that this isnīt the truth but Iīm very carefull in beliving everything and just can say that I would belive it first if I could see it with my own eyes even if my best friend would tell me something like that :-)
We should aks rich if he ever saw something like that!

tschofie
05-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Are all the snakes with oddly colored eyes of the same sex? Are there any traits that show up in females alone? I think, with snakes, it's actually females who have the short chronomome -- its males that have a full pair. Are there any traits that show an odd gender split?

Cheers,
TS

Rich Z
05-13-2002, 11:09 AM
In my experience, I have never had an amelanistic to amelanistic breeding produce anything other than amelanistic offspring. And I have done a lot of breedings involving Lavenders in this mix as well as every other gene I have floating around here.

Years ago I learned to mark on the cards for the female ANY male that was exposed to that female, whether or not breeding activity was noted. In all cases, when something unexpected hatched out of the clutch, the answer was found to be from one of the males that I thought had not bred with the female.

I would like to see detailed photos of the parents that snakes364 is using. I suspect that one of the parents may be an extremely light colored Lavender and the ruby eyes of this cultivar are causing the animal to be mistakenly identified as an amelanistic.

But I have an open mind about this. Anything is possible.

I've attached a photo of a Hypo Lavender that shows the reddish colored eyes. I can easily see how this might be mistaken for an amelanistic.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/hypolav20.jpg

snakes364
05-13-2002, 12:36 PM
After finding this problem perplexing to me, I am glad I shared it and have many opinions and suggestions. The two animals are both amels and the male ( FLAME) is in the photo. He never has sperm worthy of use in the first round of breedings ( using the microscope to check). In the second round of breedings by the females however, he is always loaded. For the past two years I tried him with his sister but no sperm showed up in her first clutch preparation, so I would mate her to another corn carrying the lavender gene. I would get normals and lavenders from that breeding then.
In the 2nd time around I would always ( as I did this year too) mate FLAME to his sister. In the past two years I have gotten some great blizzards from lthem with no yellow at all ( which is what I was really hoping to get ). Along with amels and blizzards I got one or two chocolate - colored babies that would be similar to the other lavenders I produced. Occasionally I got some I called pink snows which eventually grew into blizzard-type subadults that got named PEARL corns by Tim Rainwater I believe. Tim got most if not all of his original lavender stock from us here in PA during those early years.
Anyway, the little lavender in the beginning of this thread was just so much lighter that I decided not to sell him. he has NO colors like in an amel lavender or pink snow or anything else. Could he and his past brothers have been the result of 1 or 2 eggs being fertilized by left-over sperm from before?

pewter
05-13-2002, 03:56 PM
Yes...this is the solution :-)
It seems to be that you have some interesting snake...it would be cool if you could post some more pics!

Alicia
05-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Flame is very pretty does he ever produce any offspring with his pattern??

:) Alicia

tschofie
05-13-2002, 04:36 PM
I *think* cornsnakes can store viable sperm for anywhere from 3 to 5 years. But wouldn't the passage of eggs clear something like that out?

snakes364
05-13-2002, 04:47 PM
An interesting question which relates to another thread I started which showed a fused mass of three egg remnants passed a week before a 100% fertile clutch was passed. If this year-old clump didn't stop sperm then there must be a good possibility that eggs moving down the oviduct would not remove all the sperm.
I still didn't get a good corn snake anatomy lesson from anyone !:rolleyes:

Warren
05-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Snakes364 - Is there a good pic of the female breeder used to produce this baby? I'd also love to see this baby a year from now!

L8r,
wc