PDA

View Full Version : corn regurgitating food.

corn regurgitating food.

BlueDolphins
12-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I fed my corn snake last night, and normally he takes them all down in a instant, but he only took one last night and it took him 30minutes to do so. (usually I give him 3 [have many and have to get rid of them x.x, and only takes him 5-8minutes to down them all] He has never ever refused food before, so I thought this was weird, so I shrugged it off, and figured it was normal, since my BP is off feed now too, but I know why for him, so no problem. :shrugs:

Ether way, I just looked into his tank just now to find the one pinkie he did eat to be regurgitated. :eek:

He is in a reg. 20gal tank, 24x12x16 (is this too big? He has been in this tank almost a month now, and no problems until now.), a Exo-Terro Heat Wave Rainforest UTH [I can't get any temps, the thermometer I had in his tank, he knocked into his water bowl and it died [I plan on getting a new one ASAP], but I do notice the pad doesn't seem to get very warm...), two hides, water, branches and plants. He's about 14inches long, I can't get his weight as my scale doesn't go that low.

What am I doing wrong? I'm worried. :uhoh:

Shorty6
12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
He might not be warm enough. I'm not snake savvy, but frm what everyone is saying, that might be it

My snake regurged too, but because I was handling it 24 hours after he ate. After a snake regurges, you must wait 10 days before you can feed it again.

I only have three days left!!!:crazy02:

BlueDolphins
12-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I always let him rest at least 48 hours after feeding, but thats just me.
I feed him anywhere from 7 days to 14 days, usually around 8 days in between.
But the thing is I've feed him 17 times before, and never had any problems.

I'll have to pick up a new thermometer and UTH next weekend. Hopefully thats the problem, not something more serious..

Shorty6
12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
You have to wait 10 days minimum for his stomach acids to be strong enough to digest his food, and for his throat to heal or he'll regurg again. Also, feed him a smaller meal then you normally would. making small slits in the pinkie (frozen) to make it easier to digest.

Do you think he is getting ready to shed? Another snake we have regurged his food because he was going to shed.

ZoologyMajor
12-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Please read post #2 on regurge
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60722

I printed that post out for my own little regurge snake. I would check with the new thermometer before going to buy a new UTH. Remember the UTH won't feel very hot to you as your body temp is higher than 80-85 degrees. I assume you have your UTH on a thermostat or rheostat right?

zorro
12-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I think feeding a hatchling more that one pink at a time is asking for trouble. You might try (after going through your regurge therapy ) one at a time every 3-5 days. Just my option!

Shorty6
12-29-2007, 12:32 AM
I was going to say, that is alot of food for a hatchling.

I agree with Zorro, feed one every 3-5 days. Thats my feeding schedual for my hatchling.

highcolorcorns
12-29-2007, 05:16 AM
My b-friends milks had the same problem..they were eating just fine and then, nada and then regurged...heat was the issue in our case. they HAVE to have heat to digest properly. The link that was posted above about the regurge steps, it really works, follow it!!
As for feeding I use the Munson plan, and try to stick to it the best I can. It will tell you at what weight you should be able to feed double pinks and then move up to fuzzies. Good luck.