PDA

View Full Version : Livin' like a Refugee?

Livin' like a Refugee?

ronlina
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Hopefully someone can still help me despite that I've started this off with the cheesiest excuse for a title ever..?

Okay. I've had my corn snake for a little over 5 years now. She's always been fed and happy and had a clean tank - but the past year, she's been mighty restless.

She started getting out of her tank this year. The first time I found her right off, all was ok. Then, just before I left for a road trip last summer from MA to VA I found out she got out of her tank. I looked as much as I could and left food out for her, but no luck. After I got to a friend's house in Virginia, I found her stowed away in my bag, just hanging out. No idea how she got there. Ever since, she's been finding more persistent ways to escape (Her take albeit doesn't have the best lid - a sliding one, which i now keep duct taped all the time).

I know the solution would be to get a better tank/lid, but I'm more concerned with her sudden change in behavior. She'd never tried to escape like this before. Nowadays, even when I'm feeding her, she looks completely disinterested in the food and only wants to leave the tank. Not only that, but she's gotten hostile. She since has gotten out two other times (by actually squeezing through the tape, which I learned to get around by re- taping every so often..) and both times tried to bite me. She was always tame and used to me, I don't get it. It's now to the point that I feel bad for keeping her, like maybe she was happier when she figured out how nice it was to go where she wanted, but that must be nuts. Is it something to do with the tank itself?

She has a good amount of room - it's a 40gal tank. I clean her tank every few weeks, same as I always did. I haven't changed substrates.. I really haven't been able to spend as much time with her in the past year, but didn't think she'd be affected by just that if she's being fed and cared for otherwise.. Any ideas?

Rich in KY
12-29-2007, 12:22 PM
She'd never tried to escape like this before.

It is probably not that she didn't try to escape before, she probably just could not find a way out.

Most captive corn snakes spend most of their nights exploring their vivs. They may not be intentionally looking for a way out, but if they find one, they are definitely gonna take it.

Yours probably started to escape because she has found a way out.

I really haven't been able to spend as much time with her in the past year, but didn't think she'd be affected by just that if she's being fed and cared for otherwise.. Any ideas?

Her trying to get away when you are feeding her is probably a result of this. Without being handled regularly, a snake may start to see you as a threat. So, when you reach in and grab her, she may get scared and just try to escape.

My suggestion is to replace her lid with a solid lid with clips and maybe a little weight.

Also, if possible, handle her for a few minutes every few days. Not just when feeding her.

Tula_Montage
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Is there any possible chance she is a he? Going off food and excessive roaming can sometimes be the behaviour of a male looking for a female.

ronlina
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I'll spend more non-feeding time with her, then. I'd been worried that something was specifically wrong with her, but that makes sense; if she got out of habit in being used to something, of course she'd be uncomfortable.. Hopefully that does the trick in getting her re-used to me and her existence in a tank - thanks for the advice :)

ronlina
12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Is there any possible chance she is a he? Going off food and excessive roaming can sometimes be the behaviour of a male looking for a female.

I guess there is a chance - I've never had her probed, but by the looks of her outside (thick body then a quick drop in girth when it comes to the end of the tail) made me think female.

Tula_Montage
12-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I would be willing to bet you have yourself a male :)

I have a huge male (almost 1000grams) with a stubby short tapered tail. I refuse to believe he is a he when I look at the shape of his tail, but he probes deeeeep.

MerlinsPop
12-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I would be willing to bet you have yourself a male :)

I have a huge male (almost 1000grams) with a stubby short tapered tail. I refuse to believe he is a he when I look at the shape of his tail, but he probes deeeeep.

So instead of HER "Livin Like a Refugee" maybe HE'S "Wookin Pa Nub"... :uhoh:

Nanci
12-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Does she ever go off feed, or even just skip a meal or two in the spring, say April/May/June? My first thought was male, too.

ronlina
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Ah! I'm gonna get her to a herp vet to find out - She/he doesn't really skip meals ever, but does tend to care less about them in the early early spring...haha, if it is a male, I might need to do something about the definitely female name.
That would be pretty funny if that's the deal.. and I never would have thought of that at all..

v_various
12-30-2007, 04:38 AM
wonder shozen icon! Bwahahaha, win!

*ahem* anyway.
get a better lid, one of these days you won't find her. Tape isn't a great solution because I've heard stories of snakes getting caught up in it (and duct tape would be a pain to remove). Handle your snake more, I'm assuming it has enough different hides in the viv to feel comfortable? Two of mine LOVE their pant-legs (I cut up an old pair of jeans). Make sure your temps are OK too.