PDA

View Full Version : Why Cut / Slit Pinks?

Why Cut / Slit Pinks?

Nanci
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2gzdpp

I am NEVER losing the link to this again!!!

Original thread title is Cutting Mice Before Feeding.

wade
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Nancy,
I just read through the original thread. Very interesting. What has been done with this info since 2005? Have there been any follow-ups?

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Nanci -

Why not link to the entire thread instead of just the charts-n-graphs? :shrugs:

regards,
jazz

kathylove
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I know I have the study in the cornsnake newsletter, but forgot it had ever been posted. I am going to include a link to that post in my FAQs.

Thanks!

Nanci
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Nanci -

Why not link to the entire thread instead of just the charts-n-graphs? :shrugs:

regards,
jazz

I guess because there are so many threads discussing it, but I included the title of the thread in case anyone was interested in reading the whole thing.

http://tinyurl.com/su6em

Which didn't make it easy to find! Good thing Opera lets you reopen closed tabs...

Weebonilass
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Just for Dale :)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25837

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Um, thanks, Ginger.....but since I was convinced of the benefit of slicing one's mice a few years ago, I was thinking others could ride our little evangelism train. I was thinking the n00bs would not only want to see the results of the test/experiment, but meta-discussion as well.

But hey, I'll be sure to bookmark the link now. ;)

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Good thing Opera lets you reopen closed tabs...

Keep sellin' it, girl !! ;)

regards,
HappyFirefoxUser

Weebonilass
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Um, thanks, Ginger.....but since I was convinced of the benefit of slicing one's mice a few years ago, I was thinking others could ride our little evangelism train. I was thinking the n00bs would not only want to see the results of the test/experiment, but meta-discussion as well.

But hey, I'll be sure to bookmark the link now. ;)

regards,
jazz

I knew you did from the first time I read that thread, but you did ask :) I've sent a link to myself also. A lot easier than trying to remember the actual name of the thread and looking for slicing feeding pinkies... doesn't always work the way you would think :)

Nanci
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Every time I try to search for it, I start out with Why Cut Pinks, then Why Slit Pinks, then various combinations of snakes growth chart study control slitting cutting pinks pinkies hippo mouse and then I finally stumble upon it. No more! I'll get it first try from now on!

wade
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Nancy,
I just read through the original thread. Very interesting. What has been done with this info since 2005? Have there been any follow-ups?

Well now that you have the link thing and the train organized, Has anyone done a follow up and any further research?

zwyatt
01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
:-offtopic

Good thing Opera lets you reopen closed tabs...

Keep sellin' it, girl !! ;)

regards,
HappyFirefoxUser

It does? Didn't realize that. I've been a happy Opera user for few years now.

Nanci
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
:-offtopicIt does? Didn't realize that. I've been a happy Opera user for few years now.

It's the little garbage can icon way to the right above the eyeglasses! I love it! I used to love Firefox, but it doesn't have Speed Dial, either...

jessicalb
01-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe opening up a can of worms here, but is there confirmation that it's actually healthier for the snakes to grow faster and larger? I mean, long term analysis and that sort of thing?

I kind of lean towards not cutting just because it's something that works so well in the wild and captivity that it seems like it might be a mistake to mess with it.

I am open to learning more, though. Thanks. :)

kathylove
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
If you feel yours are growing too fast or getting too fat, then just cut back on the size or frequency of meals. Why throw away nutrients? Not to mention making cages messier! Also, if a snake gets stressed for some reason and would have regurged, the slit mice might avert the regurge, depending on individual circumstances.

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
It's the little garbage can icon way to the right above the eyeglasses! I love it! I used to love Firefox, but it doesn't have Speed Dial, either...

There are Speed Dial extensions for FF.

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Maybe opening up a can of worms here, but is there confirmation that it's actually healthier for the snakes to grow faster and larger? I mean, long term analysis and that sort of thing?

I kind of lean towards not cutting just because it's something that works so well in the wild and captivity that it seems like it might be a mistake to mess with it.

I am open to learning more, though. Thanks. :)

I see it as giving them an advantage when compared to corns of the same age in the wild. It's not "power feeding"; it's more like "power digesting".

I've mentioned many a time in the forums that the idea in feeding, imho, is to get them "bumped up" to the next size of feeder rodent ASAP, without power-feeding. It stands to reason that the older/larger the rodent gets, it becomes more "nutritionally dense".

Thus, I slit pinks, fuzzies, and if it warrants, hoppers. I've never seen the need to slit adult mice. By then, the snake has reached a decent size, and has hit its "limit" for the need to quickly assimilate the nutrients underneath the skin. It can now spare that extra bit of energy to digest the skin before it gets to the good stuff. :licklips:

regards,
jazz

Nanci
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Maybe I should stop slitting Big Jake's mice!

wade
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Well now that you have the link thing and the train organized, Has anyone done a follow up and any further research?

I don't know Wade. I don't think anyone has looked into this any further. It seems that people have lots of other things to think about. You could do a search and see if you can find any more info. (I've done that but haven't found anything more of substance). Maybe you should do a little research yourself and see what you can figure out on your own. (I think I will do exactly that) Maybe you could then share that info with others in the snake community so that we might all benefit from that research. (Fat Chance of that) Well that's a poor attitude. I don't think you should take offence just because everyone is ignoring your questions. You need to understand that these are busy people with lots on their minds. (Oh yea, me too, that's why I'm on CS.com, I'm real busy) Well you could be a little more patient. (haven't got time) Talking to you is like hitting my head against a wall :headbang: (no doubt)

jazzgeek
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think you should take offence just because everyone is ignoring your questions.
And you are....?

:sidestep:

Seriously, why not just go directly to Connie Hurley with your questions? I'm sure you can reach her at her snakery website (http://www.cccorns.com).

regards,
jazz

aztek
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Thank you.

MerlinsPop
01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I was dubious about slitting, but I've had good results, too. Seems to me that it has got to have something to do with getting the food item broken down into 'mush' state quicker, allowing more nutrients to be absorbed during the trip from tummy to tail.

Kathy's point about it helping avert a regurge is a good one too. Quicker Mush, quicker out of the tummy, less vulnerable 'lump' time, less chance of a problem.

Nanci
01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't know Wade. I don't think anyone has looked into this any further. It seems that people have lots of other things to think about. You could do a search and see if you can find any more info. (I've done that but haven't found anything more of substance). Maybe you should do a little research yourself and see what you can figure out on your own. (I think I will do exactly that) Maybe you could then share that info with others in the snake community so that we might all benefit from that research. (Fat Chance of that) Well that's a poor attitude. I don't think you should take offence just because everyone is ignoring your questions. You need to understand that these are busy people with lots on their minds. (Oh yea, me too, that's why I'm on CS.com, I'm real busy) Well you could be a little more patient. (haven't got time) Talking to you is like hitting my head against a wall :headbang: (no doubt)

Sorry, I was going to just say I don't know, but then I actually had to go work, because someone had a serious accident involving their weenie and a skateboard, and then I had to help the head of my department with a super-duper VIP, and you just got lost in the shuffle. I wasn't really ignoring you, I just didn't have an answer.

wade
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Thank you Nanci, I appreciate being acknowledged.

kathylove
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
If posters don't know the answer to a question, they will all often leave it unanswered and hope somebody else can answer it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of point to everyone saying they don't know.

I was going to suggest emailing Connie Hurley to get it "from the horse's mouth", but somebody else beat me to it.

Weebonilass
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Maybe I should stop slitting Big Jake's mice!

Guess there isn't much reason to slit Kieran's small rats :D