PDA

View Full Version : feeding problem

feeding problem

tripwyr
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I fed yesterday and I had 1 problem.

One got all excited and constricted almost the whole mouse, then when he started to eat he (the snake) had his head upside down and was going good for a couple minutes then stopped. it looked like he wasnt trying to get it down and didnt look like he was going to get it down without flipping over. so when he did decide to try to move the mouse came out of his mouth. He took off the other direction and went and hid.
I left the mouse in with him for 10-15 minutes and he never did eat.

he was still hid this morning under his warm hide.
just got home and hes under his water where he usually is.

Should I just wait a couple days and try again??

thanks for any info

Jcapicy
01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Give him another day or so without going in his cage. Something may have startled him or he might have made his mind up it was too big, even if it wasn't. Could be any number of things. I'd try again tomorrow night or friday night. You can also try a feeding container with a towel over it and a lot of privacy.

susang
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly you have more then one snake and one gave you a problem????
Was the mouse live, f/t, fresh stunned???? Is the snake getting ready to shed? Are the temps good.
If I have a refusal I wait until the next feeding day to feed.

CornNoobie
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I was gona ask what size mouse it was given and how big is the snake?

tripwyr
01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
im gonna go with what two of you said about the size. hes pretty nice sized and this was the first time with a little bigger mouse, guess it was too much

djfreebase
01-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Try not to feed a mouse that is bigger than the fattest part of snakes girth.

susang
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Did any of us recommend a size? We asked questions about what size you're fedding and what size the snake is. To help us give you asvice, "pretty good size" doesn't tell us a thing. I would still like to know what kid of mouse you're fedding f/t, live...

tripwyr
01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Previous owner did live so I kept with what was working.
I'm a 1yr owner and didn't want to switch till I knew more about dealing with problems.

My two 07's are f/t and Id like to keep them that way.

If this is a good time to switch give me some tips and I'll do it.

I can't give you a good size as I don't have a scale

http://www.geocities.com/scrapseywg/P1010054.JPG

Hes bigger than my thumb

Mouse was adult but bigger than last time because previous one didn't leave a lump but MAYBE a day.

Hes never had a problem before this one
Hes not ready to shed

susang
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
OK 1.5 times the size of the largest part of the snakes belly is a good size. Try stunning the mouse before you feed it. It may be the mouse bit him when he coiled it and scared him. Never leave a live mouse with a snake and walk away, many snakes have been hurt badly by mice. If it's fresh stunned, then wiggle it ear the face of the snake, use tongues the first few times so he doesn't mistake you for mouse. good luck, susang

Nanci
01-10-2008, 07:38 AM
A lot of people feed live just because they have too many snakes to thaw for. I don't see any reason why yours wouldn't eat FT, though- just try! Maybe to give him the best shot, make the mouse really hot, like 101-103F, and dry it off really well, even blow dry, and slit the back. And have a back up snake waiting in case yours won't take the FT. Then I would wait till the next feeding and try FK.