• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

worried

hi the good news is my corn shed but im a bit worried i never ever see my corn move (she is alive) see used to be active when i first got her but couple of weeks later she stoped. nothing has changed the temputare is right. at first we thought it was the light so we changed it to a red bulb but she still don't move im worried is this nomal plus i stay up late and i done i test last night i was in my room with all the lights off to see if she would come out i sat there for atleast 30 mins but there was no action is this normal can some one help please

temperatures could be important. If you give a gradient then the snake will have to move to thermoregulate eventually.

Do you handle frequently, could also be stress. Some people recommend putting a used t-shirt of yours in the vivarium when you first get your snake so it may recognise your scent in the future. Personally i dont think that would help too much , but stress could be a factor for why you aren't seeing more.

their nature is to be nocturnal, secretive and solitary, with the majority learning to tolerate human presence, if not at first then eventually. If you havent had your snake long, then that might be all it is.

Might be, dunno? If you have a UTH, you really don't need a light bulb.

The early activity was more likely repeated attempts to find an escape route. Having decided that there are none, he quit looking.

yer its a slide door its woor underneth and on top and the sides inside the tank its got corn cob as substants a log so she can hide in plastic plants waterbowl and a reb light bulb

So it's a wooden viv with a reptile bulb for heating? On a thermostat? Corn cob isn't recommended as a substrate, can you get aspen instead so the snake can burrow? And only 1 hide? Put lots of looroll and kitchenroll tubes in there so the snake can thermoregulate whilst still feeling secure. The more secure and hidden the snake is, the more likely it is to start cruising around the viv

no plus i havent always used corn cob i used aspen i got corn cob because snakes can digest it so i can feed in her cage

Corn snakes can't digest corn cob. My first corn snake (23 years ago) died of an intestinal impaction due to ingesting corn cob while being fed in its enclosure.

Can snakes digest corncob?
Corncob. This substrate is lightweight and quite visually appealing. However, it should be avoided at all costs. If ingested, corncob can cause impaction in the gut and has been known to kill small snakes, and it is really no better in any way than other substrates already mentioned.
Taken from this link;http://ezinearticles.com/?General-Care-and-Maintenance-of-Sand-Boas-(Eryx-and-Gongylophis)&id=235664
The corn cob substrate should be thrown out, the pieces are sharp and not only can he become impacted by ingesting it, he may be suffering from lacerations in his digestive tract. You may have to travel to a good reptile vet. You can refer to www.arav.org for a list of veterinarians that specialize in reptile care.
Taken from this link;http://en.allexperts.com/q/Reptiles-704/6-8-year-old.htm
Materials to Avoid:

The following are bad for one main reason - impaction. A lot of stores may try and tell you that they are suitable, they may even be using them themselves, but they are wrong.

Each of the following has been proven to cause impaction and death to Bearded Dragons (as well as other reptiles) and should be avoided:

- Corn Cob: Hard, large and indigestible for Beardies.

- Walnut Shell: It looks harmless enough, but the edges are very sharp and it could kill your dragon very easily. There have been documented impaction deaths in Bearded Dragons from this. Also goes under a variety of brand names, so check package labeling careful before listening to and buying from pet stores.

- Calcisand: The problem with this product is twofold. First, they like the flavor of it and may eat it if they are lacking adequate calcium in their diet. Second, it can clump and form an indigestible bolus in their digestive tract.

- Repti Bark: very fibrous and could easily end up causing impaction and has been known to end up lodged in the vent.

- Original lizard litter (made from the kenfa tree) and Jungle Blend.

Substrates such as mulch, shredded tree bark, or corn cob should not be used as they can hold moisture and promote bacterial growth.

Any of the wood shaving like cedar or pine should also be avoided - cedar had dangerous aromatic oils and pine can get impacted if ingested.

You should be also be very cautious using bleach on Dragon's enclosure, the heat from their lights can cause toxic fumes from the bleach. Taken from this link;http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-The-Right-Substrate-To-Use-For-A-Bearded-Dragon&id=525709
substrate:
Corn cob bedding and vermiculite can cause blockages while pine shaving and cedar shavings cause skin irritation. Taken from this link;
http://www.reptilia.org/care_sheets/snakes/csheets_snk_tips.htm

If you just read the stickies and FAQs on here, and get a book about keeping cornsnakes, you won't be relying on the man in the shop, look, my RO recommends this book!

Attachments

• s169a.JPG
    s169a.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 21
Back