PDA

View Full Version : HELP... the mouse burst while he was swallowing- bit of entrail sticking out of mouth

HELP... the mouse burst while he was swallowing- bit of entrail sticking out of mouth

edenlore
01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Gave my ten-month old a small (might've been slightly larger than usual, but not too big for him) and whatever way he downed it, the mouse's stomach burst and there were guts hanging all over the place. He gulped most of em down but there's like... a piece of intestine or something still dangling from his mouth. I don't know how to remove it and he keeps rubbing himself against the glass. Also, there is blood all over the viv.

Oh my god. Possibly most digusting five minutes of my life, watching him eat that. My vegetarian heart can't take it. :-/

Susan
01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
I've had that happen a few times. It's usually just a weak spot in the skin of the mouse and I've had them burst during thawing. I usually just wipe and pull off anything still hanging out of the snake's mouth. Unfortunately, spot cleaning the viv is going to be more of a pain for you, but needs to be done. If you have to put your snake elsewhere while you clean and you don't have a spare container, a pillow case works very nicely. The small amount of handling to move the snake briefly so ypou can clean the viv shouldn't cause any problems.

Jrgh17
01-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I feel your pain. :-puke01:

I've seen a mouse 'pop' before. This is an excellent opportunity to dump out all of the aspen in the viv and replace it. ;)

TandJ
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I've seen a mouse 'pop' before. This is an excellent opportunity to dump out all of the aspen in the viv and replace it

I guess I have been lucky.. *LOL* Never dealt with exploding mice yet... All though I have had to deal with a few ruptured eyes, and dangling eye balls.. *shrugs* ..

Regards.... Tim of T and J

Jrgh17
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
All though I have had to deal with a few ruptured eyes, and dangling eye balls..

I change my mind. That's worse. :eek:

Shorty6
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Man, and I thought cutting the head off a pinkie was bad.

I would probably vomit if I saw that! and Edenlore, I sympathize with your vegetarian heart.

edenlore
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
It was absolutely disgusting, but, if anything, it only make Siegfried more enthusiastic about the meal. I was gonna give him a second small but when I picked it up off the heat mat it seemed to be split as well so I didn't bother. I reckon now they might have had something wrong with them before I even fed the snake.

Nanci
01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I think the most disgusting thing I have seen is a dead snake cut into pieces so a kingsnake could eat it. I found that disturbing. Doesn't bother me that they eat slugs- but I just don't want to know about their "natural" food. They are rodent eaters to me.