PDA

View Full Version : Constrict but no kill

Constrict but no kill

ttoale
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
My corn snake has been fed live prey since he was born. Until I bought him he had only been fed live prey. I experimented twice with frozen/thawed prey and he took it fine. On the 4th I fed him his second thawed mouse and on the 9th I continued with live prey. This time he constricted the mouse but did not kill it. He ate the mouse alive. This fuzzy mouse was the perfect size for him and I don't see why he wouldn't kill it. Is this normal?

susang
01-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Unfortunatley I have had a snake not kill the pink and then butt munched it and it squeeled the whole time going down it was awful. That was the last time I fed live prey. susang

Corny Noob
01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
If he switched to frozen with you fine why switch back?
He probally thought his last two mice didn't struggle why bother with this one. Even then sometimes without that influence they'll just not always constrict, so you gotta watch that because that could be really dangerous once the prey could actually bite back.

Weebonilass
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Unfortunatley I have had a snake not kill the pink and then butt munched it and it squeeled the whole time going down it was awful. That was the last time I fed live prey. susang

That's what happened with my Sunglow Mot this feeding. Poor newborn pinkie. The snake will go back to f/t with her next feeding.

strawberry_bunny
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
oh my i think id cry, its cheeper for me to buy frozen, however unless it was life or death i couldnt feed live, partly as im a veggie. My boyfriend knew some one that put 2 rats in with his tow snakes came back a couple of hours later and only the rats were alive poor things

ShroomieGirl
01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
My boyfriend knew some one that put 2 rats in with his tow snakes came back a couple of hours later and only the rats were alive poor things

Holy crap! I guess that just shows how killed is much better (atleast much safer!) than live.
Dang... :nope:

strawberry_bunny
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
i know thankfully for that person my boyfriend didnt tell me who it was because they would of got the loudest lecture on how unbelievable that was, not that i am totally against live feeding each to their own but i dont know a corn that can eat an adult rat

Weebonilass
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
i know thankfully for that person my boyfriend didnt tell me who it was because they would of got the loudest lecture on how unbelievable that was, not that i am totally against live feeding each to their own but i dont know a corn that can eat an adult rat

Actually Bunny, my oldest guy, Kieran, eats one every 7-14 days. See my last post on this thread to see him eating one. Of course, he only gets f/t.

Weebonilass
01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
oops sorry, that picture is on the Constrict, Not Kill thread.. but if you wander over there, you will see a corn eating an adult rat... a small one, but adult all the same.

strawberry_bunny
01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
omg really? ive never seen or heard of a corn eating an adult rat, all the people ive spoken to over here ones only take mice would love to see a pic of him in your hand for size reference. how big is he

Weebonilass
01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
omg really? ive never seen or heard of a corn eating an adult rat, all the people ive spoken to over here ones only take mice would love to see a pic of him in your hand for size reference. how big is he

Bunny,

Kieran is 5'1" and currently weighs in at 760grams. I moved him up because he was looking a little thin and a large mouse just wasn't leaving any lump and he seemed to be looking for food all the time. He's not overweight. He normally tells me when he's hungry by coming out and traveling his cage alot, laying in front of his cage, I swear to tell me that he's hungry :) I normally give him a day of that before feeding. He was out yesterday and currently laying in front, so I'll probably feed him this evening.. it's Day 8.

He's really hard to hold in hand, but here was one that was taken in the bathroom just before a swim.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Weebonilass/Kieran/BellyShot_2006-11-01sm.jpg

Here is a picture that shows the lump a small rat leaves... not much :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Weebonilass/Kieran/IMG_5454.jpg

strawberry_bunny
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
wow i learn something new all the time, and as far as im concerned theres no such thing as knowing enough about corns. And i have to say he is gorgeous!

Weebonilass
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
wow i learn something new all the time, and as far as im concerned theres no such thing as knowing enough about corns. And i have to say he is gorgeous!

Thank you :) He's a Kathy Love baby... can't go wrong with one of those :)

strawberry_bunny
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
No you cant I love her website and one day I will save up the many pennies needed to buy a load and ship them in thats my future dream, you guys have all the best breeders

djfreebase
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
My corn snake has been fed live prey since he was born. Until I bought him he had only been fed live prey. I experimented twice with frozen/thawed prey and he took it fine. On the 4th I fed him his second thawed mouse and on the 9th I continued with live prey. This time he constricted the mouse but did not kill it. He ate the mouse alive. This fuzzy mouse was the perfect size for him and I don't see why he wouldn't kill it. Is this normal?

If your snake ate F/T, with no problems, i would personally carry on feeding F/T. Why put your snake in a situation were he could get hurt, or as mentioned, even killed.:uhoh: