PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, Really need help

Newbie, Really need help

dbouklias
01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I recently got a corn snake. He had already shedded at the pet store right before we bought him. He is eating. But yesterday January 13, 2008 after only having him a few days his tail is hard. I don't know whats wrong. The day before everything was fine but yesterday i picked him up and his tail was hard. Please help I don't want to lose my little boy from something that I could have done to help prevent this. I have looked everywhere and can find nothing on a snake tail hardening.

Nanci
01-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Does it look like his tail has a retained shed on it? How long has it been since he last shed?

I would do this: http://tinyurl.com/2huv2h

wade
01-14-2008, 09:15 AM
What do you mean by hard tail? I have never heard of that kind of problem. Can you post a picture or give us a better description?

dbouklias
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
We just got him Monday January 7th. When we were at the store in his cage was a shed. Yes it looks like he might not of shedded all. But yesterday I tried soaking his tail in warm water and taking a wet towel and seeing if anything would come off but nothing did.

dbouklias
01-14-2008, 09:18 AM
His tail is hard. It dont bend. It just goes with his body. It looks like hard wrinkled plastic. I will try and get a picture tonight after work.

wade
01-14-2008, 10:27 AM
It sounds like an incomplete shed, it's hard to say. I think Nanci has given you the right idea.

Nanci
01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Try soaking him longer- like for 30 minutes and see what happens.

dbouklias
01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
I tried soaking him last night. Nothing came off his tail. His tail is actually now a difference color then him. I did get pictures but they must not of emailed right because I didnt have them when I came to work today but I am trying to get them posted.

diamondlil
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
A retained shed can cut off the circulation to the tip of the tail, which then dies. Try leaving the snake in a ventilated plastic lunchbox, with a damp washcloth in it for an hour or so (the snake-o-bath).
It may be too late, in which case the end of the tail will dry and drop off. In this case you'll have to watch for infection, so using paper towels for substrate and dabbing neosporin on any obviously open wounds will help

dbouklias
01-15-2008, 10:23 AM
My picuters of his tail.. Look at his tail. Its like a blue color. Thats where it starts and goes to the end of the tail.

rolandslf
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there, that looks like an incomplete shed to me.
Try soaking him in a warm water tub with a couple drops of olive oil added for about 20 minutes or so. After that try to remove the shed by hand, this sometimes works.
Be sure afterwards to wipe him down with a soft towel or cloth to get the oil off.
Best of luck.

Ciao