PDA

View Full Version : I don't get this...

I don't get this...

Wylie
01-15-2008, 02:38 AM
I fed my 3 mo old corn snake a 1 day old pinkie 5 days and 10 hours ago. As usual, I got him out tonight to handle him a bit before I go to bed. I got him out, sat down and right away I let him go into my sweat shirt pocket, after a while I noticed him writhing around like crazy so I look in there, and just caught him at the end of a REGURGE!!!! ACK!!! What in the world??? After FIVE days???

Also, it might be important to note, that at the 57 hour point, (57 hrs after feeding him), I went to get him out and noticed that he STILL had a lump on him where the mouse would be sitting. Soo, I only handled him very gently for a few minutes then put him back and got on here to ask for advice. Next time I handled him was at the 80 hour point and I handled him normally as I always do and with him there is never much moving around, he likes to just hang out on me so that's what I let him do while I just sit there as well. But even at the 80 hour point I could still tell where the mouse was. Yesterday I handled him again as normal, then today same thing, as I explained above, but... I could STILL make out where the mouse was! Now of course I can't because he threw it up. So now this doesn't seem normal to me, should I be able to tell where the mouse is 4 and 5 days later??? I would think that is what you call prolonged digestion which is NOT a good sign! Anyone?

Also, just to clarify, cause I know someone will ask, and rightly so, the temps on the cool side range from 69 to 78 degrees and on the warm side.. this will take some explaining... I keep the temp as close to 92 as I can with the cheap rheostat I have (a thermostat is on it's way in the mail), and let me explain... I have many layers of paper towels down for substrate plus the hides sit on top of the paper towels, (of course) and the thermometer probe is underneath the paper towels on the glass in the center of the UTH. So one day I took another thermometer I had and placed it inside the hide that is right over the top of the center of the UTH to see what the hide temp was, and it was 85 degrees. So I figured out that there is about a 7 degree difference between the temp directly on the glass (where Wylie NEVER goes) and what the temp is in the log hide where he has been hanging out ever since I fed him. Soo... temps are fine, right? Also, I change out his water in his two water bowls once a week. I don't know what else might have caused him to regurge besides, yikes, some sort of pathogen in his digestive system!!!

Help!!! :( I'm so in love with this snake, I can't lose him!!!

Wylie
01-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Oh, and after he regurged and was just resting on my hand, then he peed on me. Don't know if that's significant or not but I thought I'd go ahead and mention it just in case.

Also, I put him back in his tank about 25 min ago and he is still in the exact same position and place I put him in. He only moved slightly when I put him back in his tank and he hasn't moved since.

He seemed pretty lethargic after the regurge, I'm thinking perhaps this is normal because it probably takes a lot out of the snake, especially a little 3 mo old?? Gosh I hope so, I can't help but think I'm gonna find him dead in the morning. :cry:

hartsock
01-15-2008, 04:04 AM
I am going to say maybe stress related??? Your sig says you just got him on 1/3/08. It's a baby, It's in a new place, It needs an adjustment period. Do a search on here for regurg advice, there is info from Kathy Love that had helped me when I was a noob. But I would say, put him away and don't touch him for anything. If you change the water, change it quickly and leave him alone. Give him more of a settling in period. As far as there still being a lump after that long...I don't know why it would be there if temps are good. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more than what I do....are you sure the pinkie was totally thawed before the snake ate it?

TWGarland
01-15-2008, 04:15 AM
sorry to hear about this. Try not to panic yet though.

Do you know the regurge protocal?

No idea why that could have happenned though, sounds like your doing everything right.

There could be other reasons like a dodgy pinky for example, was it thawed fully? it could just be one of those things.

The pee' ing sounds weird though, was it very watery?

When you try to feed again, (after the recommended 10 ish days of waiting to re-feed), if it results in another regurge, cos your snake seems listless and weak, then maybe a vet visit would be in order:shrugs:

TWGarland
01-15-2008, 04:19 AM
hartsock I am going to say maybe stress related??? Your sig says you just got him on 1/3/08. It's a baby, It's in a new place, It needs an adjustment period. Do a search on here for regurg advice, there is info from Kathy Love that had helped me when I was a noob. But I would say, put him away and don't touch him for anything. If you change the water, change it quickly and leave him alone. Give him more of a settling in period. As far as there still being a lump after that long...I don't know why it would be there if temps are good. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more than what I do....are you sure the pinkie was totally thawed before the snake ate it?

Good call, i didn't see it was a new aquisition ;)

Susan
01-15-2008, 06:20 AM
It does sound alot like stress is a factor. Besides being a new acquisition, you may be handling him too much, especially if you've noticed he still hasn't digested his meal. It's very important to NOT handle a hatchling if they haven't finished digesting their meal. Double check your temps to make sure everything is fine there and follow the regurge protocol. Good luck!

toyah
01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Where does he tend to sit in the tank? For the pinky to be undigested 4-5 days later shows that he is having problems digesting, which normally points to temperature. I read your temperatures explanation, and it makes sense - but baby corns tend to burrow *under* paper, as it's more secure. If he's burrowing and getting to 92, then it's too warm, so he's moving the cool side more often and not digesting properly.

I would warm up the cool end temperatures a little bit, and cool the hot end down a little. When you next feed him in ten days, hopefully that will make a difference..

I would also change his water more than once a week, and maybe consider adding a supplement to the water to help digestion/gut flora.

snakewispera snr
01-15-2008, 07:17 AM
I know it's hard to do, but try to forget you got a snake for a few months.
We leave all our new snakes alone as much as possible, until they have got a lot bigger.
We look in every day for water and we clean them out as careful as possible, but we don't play with them. Just a quick check over and back in the viv.
MIKE

bekers71
01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Where does he tend to sit in the tank? For the pinky to be undigested 4-5 days later shows that he is having problems digesting, which normally points to temperature. I read your temperatures explanation, and it makes sense - but baby corns tend to burrow *under* paper, as it's more secure. If he's burrowing and getting to 92, then it's too warm, so he's moving the cool side more often and not digesting properly.

I would warm up the cool end temperatures a little bit, and cool the hot end down a little. When you next feed him in ten days, hopefully that will make a difference..

I would also change his water more than once a week, and maybe consider adding a supplement to the water to help digestion/gut flora.

I have to agree. Corn snakes absorb heat through their bellies and that helps in digestion. If your snake is burrowing, it may be getting too warm so goes over to the cool side. Without the belly heat it is taking it too long to digest. Lowering the temp on the warm side a bit may help the little one to stay over there longer and digest better. Another thing is maybe the snake prefers the hide on the cool side better than the one on the warm side. Switch the hides or get another one just like the one you have. Wait 10 days before feeding again. Other than checking on the snake and changing water daily, don't handle him for that 10 days either. This will help lower the stress level. In the future though, if you notice a lump don't hadle it at all. Not even for a few minutes.

You may think it NEVER goes under the paper towels. But I can guarantee it does at some point and time. Probably when its most active--when you are sleeping.

One regurge is nothing to really worry about. :)

Wylie
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Pinkie was totally thawed, I pushed on it's belly to check, it felt soft and warm at the time. When I fed it to him a bit later hubby said it was cool to the touch, so should be good there.

Pee was watery.

I know and was planning on following the regurge protocol.

I'm still convinced that he's not going under the paper towels because I'm here almost 24/7 as a stay-at-home mom and I'm always looking in on him. I'm also usually up until 3 AM and then hubby gets up at 6 AM so there would only be 3 hours during the night when he's not watched. Hubby usually looks in on him when he gets up and he's never found him under the paper towels and he's usually the same place he was when I went to bed at 3.

As far as where he hangs out, before I fed him, he mostly hung out on the cool side but once I fed him, then he laid in his log hide which sits over the paper towels and the center of the UTH and the was the hide I took the temp in the one day, when my thermometer reads 92, it reads 85 in the log. He stayed in the log for the first 3 days then after that he moved over to the cave hide in the very center of the tank, so between the warm and cool sides, and that's where he is now.

It's difficult for me to believe it could be stress related because I see no evidence of that, anytime I look in the tank, I can see him without having to pick up a hide to look for him. So he doesn't seem to try and not be seen and I've never ever seen him even try to burrow. He always seems so calm and relaxed to me. I never see any sign that he's frightened or doesn't feel secure. When I pick him up out of the tank he doesn't react one way or the other and then at first he'll just crawl around in my hands a bit then he'll usually just sit there and rest for several minutes, like five, before he moves again for maybe a minute. There is nobody else awake in the house when I handle him and I sit down on a chair with him and that's where I stay until I put him back in the tank. Most of the time when I have him out he just rests on me. I'm extremely observant when it comes to my animals and things like this so I am just finding it really hard to believe it could be stress related when I see no evidence of it. Unless you guys are saying that with a snake that sometimes you just have no way of knowing if they're stressed or not? Or in other words that some snakes will not show any outward signs?

The biggest red flag to me is the fact that I could still make out the lump at the 3, 4, AND 5 day point and it was my understanding that you really shouldn't be able to tell that a snake even ate by the 72 hour point. And if that's the case, then my snake certainly experienced prolonged digestion, so the next question would be why? I don't think it's my temps but if it's not the temps, then the only other thing I can think of is some sort of pathogen. Unless you all think that he would suffer from prolonged digestion purely due to stress, stress which is totally undetectable?

SNAKEWISPERA
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
It does sound stress related, what are the temps in the viv?

SNAKEWISPERA
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
In the center of his viv

snakewispera snr
01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
It could be you are looking in on him too much.. In the wild snakes are vulnerable when they are eating, as they can't do anything until the food is down. Then they hide away to digest as they can't move around as well as when they are not full. Re-gurging (IMO) can be a way to lighten the load in case they need to get out of there fast....
Make your set-up fool proof,or as fool proof as possible, so you don't need to check up every 5 mins.
Also if your up till 3am and hubby is up a 6am maybe there is too much light disturbing the little guy.
Why don't you get a sub-adult corn so you can handle it and wait for jr to grow up a bit
MIKE

Wylie
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
It could be you are looking in on him too much.. In the wild snakes are vulnerable when they are eating, as they can't do anything until the food is down. Then they hide away to digest as they can't move around as well as when they are not full. Re-gurging (IMO) can be a way to lighten the load in case they need to get out of there fast....
Make your set-up fool proof,or as fool proof as possible, so you don't need to check up every 5 mins.

I don't open the tank or even touch it, the tank sits on top of our computer desk and I just stand up and look in every once in a while. Most of the time I don't even think he knows I'm looking at him cause for instance right now he's in his cave and I can just see part of his body across the entrance.

Also if your up till 3am and hubby is up a 6am maybe there is too much light disturbing the little guy.
Why don't you get a sub-adult corn so you can handle it and wait for jr to grow up a bit
MIKE

That's a great idea, altho there's no way we can afford it unfortunately. :( I ended up spending around $300 as it was between the snake, getting it shipped, and buying housing and food. I'd be looking at more than that if I got a sub-adult since bigger snakes cost more. I don't have even another $300 to spend. I had it initially thanks to Christmas.

Well, I just talked to hubby about what happened with my snake last night and he thinks it's best also to just follow the regurge protocol and not handle him for a couple weeks. Maybe just the fact that he's still a baby is enough reason not to handle him, just like you aren't supposed to handle newborn kittens and puppies much either (I hadn't really looked at Wylie in that respect before). Not only do I just like to handle Wylie but I was concerned that if I left him alone too long that he wouldn't remain as tame as he is now. Hubby says that won't be the case. He's had a snake before, a ball python, so even he has more snake experience than I do. So I'll try this and hopefully I won't have a problem again, I'd rather have it be a stress related problem than have my snake be physically sick with some sort of pathogen or something.

Wylie
01-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Is their a consensus on about how old a corn snake should be before it gets handled a lot?

Opinions anyone?

starsevol
01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I personally don't handle any of mine "alot". But I like them to be a year old and have some mass to them before I handle them for fun.

Unfortunately, that will change for one of my girls. "Sangria" was eggbound last year. She is a bit chubby and had trouble pushing the eggs out. She is fine now but I intend to handle her everyday for excercise so it won't happen again this year. Since you like handling them so much it's a shame you don't live closer. With all the cage cleaning and feeding. it might be hard for me to fit Sangria's handling in everyday!

Wylie
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I personally don't handle any of mine "alot". But I like them to be a year old and have some mass to them before I handle them for fun.

Unfortunately, that will change for one of my girls. "Sangria" was eggbound last year. She is a bit chubby and had trouble pushing the eggs out. She is fine now but I intend to handle her everyday for excercise so it won't happen again this year. Since you like handling them so much it's a shame you don't live closer. With all the cage cleaning and feeding. it might be hard for me to fit Sangria's handling in everyday!

:)

Well, "a lot" for me would mean everyday and maybe even twice some days. So would you recommend that the snake be a year old in order to be handled everyday for say 20 minutes?

If so, that kind of sucks for me, cause by the time my snake is a year old I'll have a newborn baby plus my oldest son to take care of so I highly doubt it would get much handling for probably another year. :(

diamondlil
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I only handle the little ones to put in their feeding tubs and back. It might look like 'it's ok for me to say that, I've got biggun's to handle', but I actually only handle the bigger ones minimally too most of the time. I've got a totally dependent dog and 3 teenage boys, so having pets who don't want or need my attention is actually part of the attraction for me!

Mr.AJ
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I handle chompy once or twice a week on average for around 15-20minutes at the most. He is making slow improvements, hes only small not sure of age though. Hes around 16inches at the moment.

MerlinsPop
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your regurge. I'm sure you'll get her 'on the mend' soon enough.

I think a lot of people, myself included, want to handle their snakes more often than they oughta (particularly younguns). On the spectrum of 'interactive' pets, I'd put snakes far closer to the Goldfish end than on the Dog/Cat end.

Good luck with her!

Wylie
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

I will definitely back off on my handling of him.

Kokopelli
01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I am not sure if I missed this or not- but on the whole handling your snake when the "lump" is visible is generally a bad idea.

Also I kind of disagree with some of the things that were said- indeed too high temperatures can cause major issues but are slightly less likely to induce regurgitation in my opinion but a variety of other serious health hazards.

It think that said pinkie was perhaps a bit too large, even punkies come in different shapes and sizes. If the item was too large to be digested completely- a regurgitation is bound to occur.

I had a hatchling who was simply too small for whole pinkies, so I fed him just the heads, or halves.

I am sure he will be just fine

keep us informed!

Wylie
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
He's dead. :cry::cry::cry:

I hadn't touched him since the regurge and he was fine up until early this morning some time when I came out to put wood in the fire. Ever since I got up though, around noon (heh), he was in the exact same spot and so finally I got up there and stared at him a while, didn't see any breathing, opened the top of the tank and reached down and sure enough, he's dead.

Please does ANYBODY have a clue as to what may have happened to him???? The temps are right, but he took what I think is way too long to digest a one day old pinkie, he regurged 5 days later, and now here it is 2 days since he regurged and he just up and died. :cry:

I'm very distraught cause he was such a SWEET snake, I couldn't have asked for a better snake and now I don't even know what to do, do I even try to get another snake or am I just not meant to have a snake?? :cry: :cry: :cry:

starsevol
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. HUGS.

And yes, you should get another snake, in time.
First I suggest you go to www.cornutopia.com and order Kathy's book. I have it and it's wonderful.
Then shop around. Maybe look for an older snake. Older snakes tend to be well established and much better for handling.
Check out the breeders on this site.

Kokopelli
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I am so sorry to hear that... I really am.

Are you -positive- that he is dead? when they are lethargic it can seem like it...

My first snake ever was a normal baby cornsnake and he too died shortly after I got him.

Some babies don't live to see adulthood, it is a harsh, cold fact. I am certain that you gave that snake the best possible life for him and that he went away in peace, being loved and provided for.

I too felt exactly the same, I was devastated(the fact that my girlfriend and I broke up the following day didn't add any joy to the ordeal) but I just -had- to try again. And since than I got 11 more snakes and they are all fine.

You can't really know what that little corn went through before arriving at your place, and beating your head over it will do you little good- from what I see you did everything you could for the little chap, it isn't your fault. It's nature being nature.

I really hope you will be able to get through this and allow yourself to open your heart to another snake, so that another one will be given a chance to enjoy the care you can provide.

I know it's hard, and it seems unfair- but that's life, I wish it wasn't so.

I wish you all the best,
truly.

Oren.

Wylie
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks to both of you. :)

Oh yes, he's most definitely dead, all stiff.

Hubby thinks there was something wrong with him to begin with and he also mentioned the same thing, that I don't know what he went thru in shipping. Now I didn't think this was any concern at the time, but ever since I got him, Wylie was never very active not even when I would get him out, I just figured it was his personality but maybe it wasn't... I mean he just laid on me WAY more than he moved anywhere. I didn't think anything of it but perhaps there was something to that. Plus the fact that after 5 days he still didn't have a one day old pinkie digested. He was 3 months old, weighed 6 grams and was 12" long.

Maybe I just got a dud? A snake that wasn't going to survive no matter who it's keeper was? Gosh I sure hope it's that and not something I did. If I'm guilty of anything it would be loving him too much, cause I got him out of his tank every night to hold him, until he regurged, then I put him back in his tank and didn't touch him since, but he ended up dead anyway. :(

As a matter-of-fact I did look in the local newspaper online and I found someone who is selling a 3 1/2 foot long corn snake for $80! That's a steal, isn't it? I talked to the guy and he says he just has too many reptiles and that this corn snake is awesome, very good tempered, he doesn't know his sex or morph type but says he's orange and yellow. I asked him to email me some pics when he gets home from work. I don't know if I'll want him or not cause there are certain colors of corn snakes that I just don't like, I don't like the amel varieties mainly. I really, really like ones with very distinctly contrasted patterns with the brown eyes. So I don't know, it'll definitely be something I have to think about. I won't make a decision either until I talk to Don, who I bought Wylie from. But at least I think hubby will be agreeable to my getting another one instead of just saying tough, we don't have the money (cause we really don't). I really don't have another $121 to fork out for a new baby Abbott's Okeetee snake. :(

Oh, and I've got Don's book, was planning on getting Kathy's as well.

hartsock
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Man, it hurts to lose one. But sometimes it happen. Go get another and continue with your keeping of snakes. The rewards outweigh this hard times. Good luck!

Joejr14
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I really don't have another $121 to fork out for a new baby Abbott's Okeetee snake. :(

Oh, and I've got Don's book, was planning on getting Kathy's as well.

$121 for an okeetee? Damn, I need to get out of the 'actual' morphs and into okeetees then.

You can easily get an adult male with shipping for less than $121.

Wylie
01-17-2008, 12:36 AM
$121 for an okeetee? Damn, I need to get out of the 'actual' morphs and into okeetees then.

You can easily get an adult male with shipping for less than $121.

It was an Abbott's Okeetee, they're more expensive than just a plain Okeetee, not sure if you were aware of that or not.

But yes, $75 for the snake, $46 for shipping. So yeah, ouch, had the snake less than 2 weeks, I don't have another $121 right now.

I am hoping to hear from Don from SMR about it tomorrow, I called him and left a message. Perhaps he can do something for me, otherwise yes, I'm in the market for another Abbott's Okeetee, so if anyone sees this and has one, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! I've been so upset all day, that's why I'm STILL awake and typing a message here. I don't think I can even go to sleep. I was really in love with that snake, he was so good-natured, such a sweet snake, I'm afraid I won't be able to get one just like him again, waaaahhhhh!!!! :cry:

ghosthousecorns
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm truly sorry for your loss. It doesn't sound like anything you did wrong. I hope you will find a nice healthy snake to ease your loss a little...

Wylie
01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm truly sorry for your loss. It doesn't sound like anything you did wrong. I hope you will find a nice healthy snake to ease your loss a little...

Thanks. I just get so attached, so quick sometimes. He was just such a sweetheart, I couldn't help but fall in love with the little guy. He's the kind of snake that I probably could have done just about anything with. He let me rub his chin and was always just so calm and relaxed, I couldn't help but feel he was as into me as I was into him. He would just hang out on me, content to do so. So it's like why did such a sweet snake have to die. I know he would have made the best snake pet for me. I was looking forward to having him the rest of his life and having him live a LONG time, the full 15 years or more! It's so disheartening, it broke my heart that he died, it really did. I am hoping I will feel better tomorrow after getting a phone call from Don.

lil_rab2005
01-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks. I just get so attached, so quick sometimes. He was just such a sweetheart, I couldn't help but fall in love with the little guy. He's the kind of snake that I probably could have done just about anything with. He let me rub his chin and was always just so calm and relaxed, I couldn't help but feel he was as into me as I was into him. He would just hang out on me, content to do so. So it's like why did such a sweet snake have to die. I know he would have made the best snake pet for me. I was looking forward to having him the rest of his life and having him live a LONG time, the full 15 years or more! It's so disheartening, it broke my heart that he died, it really did. I am hoping I will feel better tomorrow after getting a phone call from Don.

I truly understand when you say that he let you rub his chin and that you could feel he was as into you as you were into him. My ball python is the same way (well it's my sons but in my eyes she's mine lol), she's such a good snake. And maybe they aren't really being cuddly, but they only cuddle because of our warmth but I'd rather think that she's cuddling on me lol. I don't care what anyone says... she's as loving as a snake can be.

Good luck when you talk to Don tomorrow. Maybe there is something that he can do. It was definitely nothing that you did, it was his time to go. That's nature and sometimes it really sucks... I'm so sorry.

I really dred the day something happens to my baby. I'm so sorry about your loss. Maybe wait just a little while before you get another one but definitely get another one as soon as you stop mourning. It will make you feel alot better.

Take care,

Lil. :)

I'm here if you need someone to talk to :)

Wylie
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks. :)

Don and I are discussing the issue via email. Most of all I want to make SURE it is nothing I did wrong and if I did, obviously it will be corrected in time before getting another snake.

We are discussing temps as improper temps can cause a snake not to digest properly (which I knew). Wylie stayed on the warm side in his log hide for 3 days for sure, maybe even 4, and the mouse still was not digested, that's what gets me. I mean he didn't move out of that log hide for at least 3 days. I don't recall where he was on day 4 after the feeding but I know for sure by day 5, the day he regurgitated, he was in the cave hide which sits in the middle of the tank, he was towards the warm side. So I just don't know. I thought that by 3 days that any snake would have digested its meal by that time provided the meal was not too large, anyone??? Wylie had a one day old pinkie which did not look too big at all and he had no trouble at all consuming it. So I'm really at a loss as to what happened. Hopefully at least some kind of educated guess can be reached. That would certainly help me on the road to recovery from my mourning.

MerlinsPop
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I've been off the site for a few days. So sorry to hear about your wee snake. Hopefully you'll be able to satisfy yourself that it wasn't a husbandry issue and then think about getting another one at some time.

Be sure to sanitize everything. Twice even. Just to be safe.

Rich in KY
01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I have also been off the forum for a few days. I am so sorry for your loss. :awcrap:

I am sure you will have better luck with your next snake.

Wylie
01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
I've been off the site for a few days. So sorry to hear about your wee snake. Hopefully you'll be able to satisfy yourself that it wasn't a husbandry issue and then think about getting another one at some time.

Be sure to sanitize everything. Twice even. Just to be safe.

Thanks.

I threw out the paper towels that I was using as substrate, I took everything that was inside the tank and soaked it in a sink full of hot, soapy water for about 15 minutes, I even added in 2 quarts of boiling water since I don't think our water gets very hot (we have a 2 1/2 year old in the house so we don't keep it scalding hot). I scrubbed out the inside of the tank twice with a mix of dish soap and glass cleaner with ammonia, rinsed it out good, then dried it with paper towels. I let all the hides and water dishes air dry. Everything is now put back inside the tank where it sits awaiting for the next snake. How does that sound?

I have a concern though, when I got all the hides and water dishes out of the hot water to rinse them, my log hide had a what I considered to be a strong paint smell to it (hubby says not but we all know women have a stronger sense of smell than men). Now only the outside is painted and plus I see that Nanci and some other members use what looks to be very similar type hides (grey log hides) in their tanks, obviously with no ill-effects, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm very scared of ANYTHING that might cause another snake to die and Wylie did lie in that log hide for an entire 3 days after feeding. Hubby thinks it's fine but when you're in my shoes and can't figure out why your snake died, well, I've been thinking of ALL possibilities. Opinions anyone?

I talked to Don via emails and he also says it doesn't sound like anything I did wrong and that as a matter-of-fact I went to a lot of trouble to make a nice, safe home for Wylie. I was constantly checking the temps in his tank, for instance even during overnight hours since I had to get up to put wood in our wood stove anyway. Plus I'm a stay-at-home mom who is ALWAYS at home so Wylie's conditions were almost continually monitored.

Anyway, yes, I'm getting another corn snake, I wanted a snake and when I got Wylie, I had to ask myself why in the world it took me SO LONG to own a snake! I also told hubby I will ALWAYS have a snake now. So altho I am still sad about Wylie, I really miss having a snake already and so after talking to Don, he is sending me another Abbott's Okeetee this coming week. Yay!

Don even said he would test handle them to see which one he thought would be best for me based off what I told him about Wylie's personality. Don is definitely someone I'd recommend for buying a snake from if you're in the market. His very PERSONAL customer service to me was wonderful, definitely first rate. He was there for me when I was worried because Wylie hadn't arrived yet, ready to do whatever was necessary to make sure everything was okay with the shipping, he personally responded to my first email to him after receiving Wylie. And he promptly took care of the whole situation with Wylie's death by talking to me via emails, always responding within hours to no more than a day even though he was out of the office.

I must say, I'm very apprehensive though about getting another snake, I already lost one, I sure as heck don't want to lose another! And I don't feel quite the same way, yet, maybe I will, I don't know, but I don't feel the same way as when I was anticipating Wylie getting shipped to me. I felt like he was my baby even before they shipped him, but I don't feel that way so far this time, I feel like the snake that is going to be shipped out to me isn't really my snake, it just doesn't feel quite right, not the same as when I was waiting for Wylie to arrive. Perhaps my feelings will have changed by the time this next snake arrives. I don't think I'll bond with this one as quick as I did with Wylie though cause for sure this time, I'm not going to handle him at all until after he's had his first feeding and pooped. I don't want to take ANY chances with this one, that's for sure! So yeah, I imagine it will take me longer to bond with this one cause I'm still attached to Wylie and because I won't be handling this one for a while.

Anyway, thanks for checking in! :)

starsevol
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks.

I threw out the paper towels that I was using as substrate, I took everything that was inside the tank and soaked it in a sink full of hot, soapy water for about 15 minutes, I even added in 2 quarts of boiling water since I don't think our water gets very hot (we have a 2 1/2 year old in the house so we don't keep it scalding hot). I scrubbed out the inside of the tank twice with a mix of dish soap and glass cleaner with ammonia, rinsed it out good, then dried it with paper towels. I let all the hides and water dishes air dry. Everything is now put back inside the tank where it sits awaiting for the next snake. How does that sound?

I have a concern though, when I got all the hides and water dishes out of the hot water to rinse them, my log hide had a what I considered to be a strong paint smell to it (hubby says not but we all know women have a stronger sense of smell than men). Now only the outside is painted and plus I see that Nanci and some other members use what looks to be very similar type hides (grey log hides) in their tanks, obviously with no ill-effects, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm very scared of ANYTHING that might cause another snake to die and Wylie did lie in that log hide for an entire 3 days after feeding. Hubby thinks it's fine but when you're in my shoes and can't figure out why your snake died, well, I've been thinking of ALL possibilities. Opinions anyone?

I talked to Don via emails and he also says it doesn't sound like anything I did wrong and that as a matter-of-fact I went to a lot of trouble to make a nice, safe home for Wylie. I was constantly checking the temps in his tank, for instance even during overnight hours since I had to get up to put wood in our wood stove anyway. Plus I'm a stay-at-home mom who is ALWAYS at home so Wylie's conditions were almost continually monitored.

Anyway, yes, I'm getting another corn snake, I wanted a snake and when I got Wylie, I had to ask myself why in the world it took me SO LONG to own a snake! I also told hubby I will ALWAYS have a snake now. So altho I am still sad about Wylie, I really miss having a snake already and so after talking to Don, he is sending me another Abbott's Okeetee this coming week. Yay!

Don even said he would test handle them to see which one he thought would be best for me based off what I told him about Wylie's personality. Don is definitely someone I'd recommend for buying a snake from if you're in the market. His very PERSONAL customer service to me was wonderful, definitely first rate. He was there for me when I was worried because Wylie hadn't arrived yet, ready to do whatever was necessary to make sure everything was okay with the shipping, he personally responded to my first email to him after receiving Wylie. And he promptly took care of the whole situation with Wylie's death by talking to me via emails, always responding within hours to no more than a day even though he was out of the office.

I must say, I'm very apprehensive though about getting another snake, I already lost one, I sure as heck don't want to lose another! And I don't feel quite the same way, yet, maybe I will, I don't know, but I don't feel the same way as when I was anticipating Wylie getting shipped to me. I felt like he was my baby even before they shipped him, but I don't feel that way so far this time, I feel like the snake that is going to be shipped out to me isn't really my snake, it just doesn't feel quite right, not the same as when I was waiting for Wylie to arrive. Perhaps my feelings will have changed by the time this next snake arrives. I don't think I'll bond with this one as quick as I did with Wylie though cause for sure this time, I'm not going to handle him at all until after he's had his first feeding and pooped. I don't want to take ANY chances with this one, that's for sure! So yeah, I imagine it will take me longer to bond with this one cause I'm still attached to Wylie and because I won't be handling this one for a while.

I'm glad you're getting another. And don't worry, 3 years from now you will look at this snake and feel as though he's always been there.

susang
01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry for your loss. I lost one of my first two corn snakes, at least I had the other one who is 4 years old now and 5+' and almost a kilo. The other one was very quiet and poor eater. I love the fiesty striking babies as they are for the most part good eaters. I handle my little ones very little for a couple months, now I am beginning to handle them more, but not everyday and not for 48 hours after feeding. You'll do fine with your next one. susang

Wylie
01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Mr.AJ
01-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks.

Something tells me you'll do just fine. :)

Wylie
01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Something tells me you'll do just fine. :)

:)

Gee, could it be because you've realized that I'm practically overly thorough & detailed? Hehe. That I am. I have a perfectionist type personality. Hubby was constantly telling me I worry too much when I did things concerning Wylie, he thought I was doing things just fine concerning the snake. And he had a ball python in the past and never had a problem. So I have to try to believe him at least a little, heh, either that or he was just lucky. Yeah, that's me, always overanalyzing and second guessing things.

Anyway, I sure hope so, I am nervous about it already, that's for sure.