PDA

View Full Version : Ark regurged, here is my plan...

Ark regurged, here is my plan...

jessicalb
01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Ark regurged, but I am not sure when. We fed him on the 11th and planned to handle him today and then feed again tomorrow, but we found the regurge today. It looked pretty much like fresh mouse. :(

I will count 8 days from today, just in case, even though he probably regurged earlier. So we'll feed him again on the 23rd. We'll do a pinkie head, and then wait 7 days (the 30th) and do the pinkie body. Assuming all goes well we do another 7 days and go to a full pinkie. After that we will go back to full pinkies every 5 days, which is what we were already doing. Only after 6 feedings do we do anything more than feed and change his water.

Also, in case anyone can pinpoint a problem, here is his history:

12/26 - Ark came home to us at about 5 weeks old, temps ranged 68-72 on cool end and 81-90 on warm end over the next few days

1/1 - fed 1 pinkie

1/4 - handled, note that temps are stabilizing around 71-72 on the cool end and 84-85 on the warm end

1/6 - still no poo, fed 1 pinkie

1/9 - very small amount of poo, but since it's the first time maybe it's normal

1/11 - temps still stable, fed pinkie

totally left him alone until today

1/15 - found regurge under center-tank hide

All pinkies are f/t from the same container bought at petsmart.

Oh, and he had (has?) a little bit of dry skin sticking up on his face. I figure he might be going into shed. He looks kind of dull to me but I have no experience at all so I could be wrong. His hides are two small flat clay pots (cool and middle) and one regular clay pot with the bottom knocked out (hot), so I have been misting the flat bottoms and soaking the one every few days.

Hmm, what else? He's on aspen substrate and we feed in a separate container. He also has some fake leafy plants along the back side of his viv so he can hide in there. His viv is pretty much right next to the sliding glass door but we open the blinds or go out back maybe once every couple weeks, so I don't think that should be too stressful for him. On the other hand, he's in the main living area and that's where we spend all our time, with computers and music on and tv and a very active little boy running around. If that is too hard on him we could move him to a quiet bedroom.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

SNAKEWISPERA
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Are you 100% it was a regurge, or a uneaten mouse?
Joel

jessicalb
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Are you 100% it was a regurge, or a uneaten mouse?
Joel

We feed him in a separate container, so we watched him eat and then returned him to his viv, so it couldn't just be uneaten.

snakewispera snr
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
They do like it quiet
MIKE

dionythicus
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I would definitely move him to a quiet area. The vibrations in the living room are probably very unnerving for a hatchling. I would also keep handling to a minimum, only taking him out to feed, for a few weeks. Let him completely adjust to the environment and get his digestive system back on track. You could order some Nutribac from Kathy Love's website, www.cornutopia.com, and put that on the pinky head when you feed him next. It helps provide the natural bacteria in their digestive tract. Good luck.

jessicalb
01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
It just occurred to me, when I said "quiet bedroom" I was thinking quiet for me. But we only have one bedroom and it's right off the living room. It would literally be like just a few feet away from where he is now, which is on top of a short bookcase right next to the doorway leading to that room. Would it be worthwhile to move everything around or would the vibrations still be getting to him?

Man I just feel terrible. :( :(

dionythicus
01-16-2008, 01:53 AM
I would try to place him in the quietest place you have. If the bedroom has less traffic, less vibration (tv, stereo, etc.) then I would try that for a few weeks until he's over his regurge problem. Maybe even keep his viv covered with a towel or something to help keep out the stimulus. Some snakes are more sensitive than others to what's going on around them.

Velvet
01-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Best of luck with your baby!

I have mine in an unused bedroom in our house, it's very quiet in there and even the maid has strict instructions never to go in there! lol I sweep the carpet with a broom, so they are not disturbed by the vacuum cleaner.