PDA

View Full Version : How to feed my Corn Snake?

How to feed my Corn Snake?

GlitterFlame89
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
OK, so I brought Kaa home Sunday afternoon. She has been happilyu cruising her container, I found her in a different place whenever I look. Following her schedule, tomorrow is her first feeding with me (gulp!). So, what do I do to prepare the itsy bitsy baby mousey? My general plan at the moment is to take one mouse, plop it in some hotish distilled water for a few hours to thaw and warm, make three horizontal cuts on the back and one vertical, and than put snakey in her feeding container to eat, yummy! So, is this a good plan? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks!

djfreebase
01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Sounds as if your doing everything right.

DogStar5988
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I know distilled water is not okay for drinking but I'm not sure if it should be used for thawing mice. Also it wont take hours for the mouse to thaw, I usually only have mine in water for 10-20 min. Other than that sounds good. ;)

---Kenny

snakewispera snr
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM
We leave our to thaw somewhere warm, it doesn't take long with pinks they have such a small body mass. (put an ice cube by it to see when the ice cube melts,its relative) squish it a bit to make sure the core is soft. Then dip it in hot water for a bit to warm it.
Do the cuts when frozen it's easier. Leaving it in boiling water for a few hours may cook it...LOL
MIKE

snakewispera snr
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I post too slow...LOL
MIKE

GlitterFlame89
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Wait, wait; distilled water is NOT ok for drinking? But that's what they told me to get! Shoot! Is it going to be detrimental if he's had it since Sunday? And what should I get if not distilled water; I thought distilled had the chlorine and chemical and all removed? Why is it bad to drink?

dionythicus
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Here's a link to a thread that was started by someone who found out the harmfullness of distilled water.

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24212&highlight=distilled+water

I would switch to tap water or purified water promptly, but I don't believe a few days of drinking distilled will hurt your snake.

As for thawing mice, I put them in hot water (not scalding) and pat them dry once they are thawed (pinks = 5-10 mins, fuzzies/hoppers = 10-15 mins, adult mice = 15-20 mins).

MerlinsPop
01-22-2008, 04:03 PM
If you're concerned about the quality of your tap water for a baby corn, you can always use bottled 'spring' water. With a small water dish, one bottle will last you a week easy. Or use a little Brita filter thing. The only reason I use bottled water is I have a water softener that makes the water noticably salty tasting. Butter get's tap water that's run through a under-sink filter. Bottles are just easier right now because the 4 babies aren't anywhere near a sink.

I snip my pinkies just before feeding them. I just use sharp cuticle scissors (don't tell my wife!) to 'pinch' the skin on the back a few times and it cuts nice clean chevrons with the point aimed at the butt end. Seems to work, except for once when one butt-munched. His upper mouth started working under the pink's skin flap and had to let go and try again.

GlitterFlame89
01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
OK, I have "Drinking Water" now, ao alls well that ends well. I don't think Kaa really cared, although she was getting ready to drink when I swtched it out, so I received a very pissed off look from her, lol. Now, cuts on the pinks' back; that's a good idea, right? Aids digestion and all? And what temp should said pink be at when feeding?

K'Bear
01-22-2008, 07:47 PM
The way I see it is, if you feel in any way concerned in any way about tap water do not use it. Use drinking bottled water it may be a bit more expensive. Then it does not run the risk as I do not know what American tap water is like.

K'Bear
01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
The cuts help the snake to sense its food.

Wylie
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
The way I see it is, if you feel in any way concerned in any way about tap water do not use it. Use drinking bottled water it may be a bit more expensive. Then it does not run the risk as I do not know what American tap water is like.

Bottled water isn't necessarily better than tap water:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/bwinx.asp

http://lighterfootstep.com/5-reasons-not-to-drink-bottled-water.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0224_060224_bottled_water.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/16/pepsi-s-aquafina-bottled-water-is-tap-water.aspx

GlitterFlame89
01-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Arg! How am I supposed to do the right thing if I can't even figure out what it is? Alright, his bottled water tastes better than the utter garbage coming from my tap, so I *think* it will taste better to him. I guess I'll have to rely on that. Hope he's happy with it...

hartsock
01-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Bottled water (not distilled) gave my snakes runny poos. I went back to tap water and haven't had a problem since. As far as the cuts in the pinkie, that really is unnecessary unless you have a stubborn eater. The cuts allow the scent to be stronger, much in the same way as braining one does. I fill a plastic container with hot top water, then have mice in a plastic ziplock bag that is big enought to stick out of the container, then I have a second container of the same make as the first, and after I put the bag in the water, I take the second container filled with same hot tap water and place it on top of bag and push down till water comes up to edges. sorta like a mouse sandwhich. Pinks and fuzzies are usually done in 15 to 20 minutes, but I usually let them go for a half an hour to make sure and if the water is cold I give them another minute or two in refreshed warm water to get the temp up. Adult mice I let thaw this way for an hour, then refresh for a minute before feeding. What is nice is that it doesn't get them wet, unless you bag slips under the water and fills up.

bitsy
01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Arg! How am I supposed to do the right thing if I can't even figure out what it is?

LOL! Oh dear - yes, I'm afraid on some topics there are as many opinions as there are Corn owners...

I don't think there's a definitive answer on water, other than "Not the distilled stuff". I can't think how ordinary bottled water would cause any harm, and if you don't have confidence in your tap water then it seems a good alternative.

DogStar5988
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
As far as the cutting goes there is also the argument that slicing the back of the mouse helps digestion and increases growth rate. I can't remember exactly the thread but there was a study done and with cut mice I believe the snakes gained more weight from the food. It certainly isn't mandatory or even necessary but I do it, even if it doesn't provide a real benefit it doesn't hurt anything either. Just my opinion ;)

---Kenny