PDA

View Full Version : Health mishaps, could use some advice.

Health mishaps, could use some advice.

Satchurio
01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Ahoy hoy,

I was given two baby corns as a gift for christmas about december 4th, both are very healthy and good eaters, up until this week. They are Snow corn and Red Albino, The snow has grown about twice as fast as the red albino and is close to double his size, on the same diet. My Snow corn had his first shed that didn't turn out as good as I had hoped but after some care it was fine. My red albino however had his first shed shortly before feeding this week and regurgitated his meal. The back of his body is still very dull so i believe he may be still shedding.

I've read all the guides on how to get a good shed as well as what to do after a snake regurgitates. My question is when both of those bad scenarios collide is there a special precaution I should take? I can provide pictures if needed.

susang
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Did you examine the shed, that should tell you if it was complete. Follow the guide lines for regurge. Are they housed together?

Satchurio
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes they are both housed in a 50 gal aquarium, which is a mansion given there current size

susang
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Did you check shed? Do you feed in tank?

Satchurio
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
His shed was partial, so in the meantime he's been placed with some water and a washcloth to complete it (hopefully). I usually feed them outside of the tank, he was taking quite a long time to work it down (probably due to the partial shed) so I placed him back in his tank which is where he regurgitated.

susang
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Your snake probably regurged because you handled him while eating. Corn snakes should not be handled for 48 hours after eating (except to put back in tank). Also if he was eating while being put back he could have ingested bedding, causing regurg. It sounds to me like one or both of your snakes are stressed. You should reserach co-habbing and maybe think fo a way to divide that big tank into two smaller oenes. Snakes eat at different rates of time and we need to be patient and let them eat, undesturbed, put back after the mouse is down in belly area.

Satchurio
01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I believe stress is also a factor as all of these problems arose in two days, before that they both ate fine and never had a problem being handled or being fed, its a very odd occurence

susang
01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
While it may seem odd, it has probably been brewing. Many people say I'll co-hab until something goes wrong, this is your something went wrong.

Satchurio
01-24-2008, 02:24 AM
After spending a few hours in a shedding tank they both are looking great and healthy even with the regurgitate, i will post some pictures tommorow, thanks for the advice

Corny Noob
01-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Honestly, no a snake that just reguritated is not *healthy* unlike humans who often feel much better after vomiting, the snake's need a lot more time to recover.
Think about how much of their body is actually throat, and in a smaller snake such occurances that build up over time can be life threatening.
In between regurges to reduce stress you need to leave that animal alone completely untill the next feeding day, there's no reason to compound the issue.
Also given the regurge the animal should not be fed for AT LEAST a week to give it some time to try and recover the gut flora needed for proper digestion.

snakewispera snr
01-24-2008, 09:44 AM
You may not be doing them any favours housing them in a *mansion* Baby corns (I'm assuming that as one has grown considerably in 6 weeks) need to feel secure,so a tub 12"x6"x3" (sorry I'm not up on gallon sizes) would be ample at the moment and hides that they can just get in (I find they like to be able to touch all the sides when coiled up)
That would certainly help them to de-stress...
This obviously is for babies...Let us know how big they are and someone will get back to you with the appropriate size tubs I'm sure...
MIKE

StaceyBaybee
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I personally think its because they are housed together. Snakes aren't suposed to live so closely with each other, this is not what they do in the wild. The regurge may be because of stress try seperating them and see if theres a change.