PDA

View Full Version : How long for snake to eat?

How long for snake to eat?

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I feed Kaa in a seperate container. How long should I wait for him to eat in there, I mean to strike at the prey and decide to eat, and than how long before putting him back in his tank? Thanks, I'm SOOOOOOOOOO nervous!!! I'm just terrified he'll regurge for some reason...

Rich in KY
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
There is no normal amount of time for them to eat. Some grab and eat right away. While others look around before eating. So if he doesn't eat right away, don't worry.

As long as the feeding container is secure, I usually cover it with a towel and check back in 5-10 minutes.

As soon as they eat, they can go back in their viv. If you are worried about a regurge, lower his feeding container in his viv and let him crawl out on his own. I have a young one I have to do that with right now.

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 12:31 AM
OK, thanks! I really hope this feeding goes well, should've fed him earlier but I've been procrastinating. I'm just terrified something will go horribly wrong... I know it's silly, but he's my first snake, first reptile, and I'm still so new at this and it makes me nervous...

Rich in KY
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
That's normal.

Even some of us OLD snake keepers get nervous the first time we feed a snake.

Let us know how he does.

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 12:43 AM
OK, I warmed the pink in hot water, dried it off, made a couple slices on the neck and dropped it in the box my snake came in. (You know those little cardboard boxes from Petco?) I than dug Kaa out of his cage and placed him in the box, pointed towards the pink. He went over slowly, put his nose against it for a second or so and bit it. (Looked like he bit it almost gently to me, lol) He than sort of cruised a couple milimeters away with it in his mouth. So, I V-E-R-Y carefully and V-E-R-Y slowly closed the box up, and am leaving him in peace for the next ten minutes. Than I will very carefully and quietly open up and see how things are going. I chose the smallest pinkie in the bag since this is his furst meal with me and he just arrived Sunday. Oh, I really hope it goes OK! How does it sound so far? I didn't have to wiggle his prey or anything, he went right for it...

Rich in KY
01-24-2008, 12:47 AM
That sounds great. The important part is that he knew the pink was his food.

You probably don't have to wait since he took the food right away.

When he finishes it, just put him back in his viv and let him digest for a few days.

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, only 2 minutes left till the 10 mark now anyway, so I'll wait to be sure. (Told you I'm neurotic.) He seems to be squirming in the box now, so either he is constricting or saying "OK, lemme out of her; I'm done!" Now, is it OK to just give them 2 days to digest, say don't handle him until like Satuerday night or later, or will I be fine once he poops, or if it takes longer than that should I wait till he poops? (Least than I'll KNOW it was digested and no chance of a regurge, right?)

Rich in KY
01-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Give him at least 2 days to digest it. If his belly lump is still noticable after 2 days give him an extra day.

tricksterpup
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
I have snakes that will eat in 30 seconds while others 30 minutes to eat a mouse. Some are pigs and others I have are dainty eaters that have to take there time swallowing a rodent. And I mean take there SWEET A$$ TIME swallowing the rodent.

I think I was in chat and it took my Black Milk (http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62241)an hour to eat a small rat, which would have taken my smaller king 2 minutes to eat.

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 01:01 AM
HE ATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOO relieved right now, you can't even begin to imagine... well actually, I guess snake people do know how wonderful it is when the snake eats for the first time. This is my first snake feeding period, so a very big step for me. It is the thing that kept me from getting a snake for years, I always thought I'd never be able to fed one. It's the first big hurdle, now if he keeps it down and no regurges or anything I'll know I can successfully feed my buddy! Thanks so much for the advice and support, I really needed it! :dancer::):crazy02::bird:

Rich in KY
01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Congrats!!:dancer:

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 01:07 AM
It was pretty far down already when I peeked, a good 3 inches or so, maybe a little more. I just kind of slid him out of his box and into his terrarium, and he sat there where I put him and gave me this PO'd look like. "Hey, I was comfortable in there! What's the big idea?" Oh, I'm just so happy!!!! I'm SO glad he ate.

tricksterpup
01-24-2008, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=GlitterFlame89;569049]HE ATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOO relieved right now, you can't even begin to imagine... well actually, I guess snake people do know how wonderful it is when the snake eats for the first time. This is my first snake feeding period, so a very big step for me. It is the thing that kept me from getting a snake for years, I always thought I'd never be able to fed one. It's the first big hurdle, now if he keeps it down and no regurges or anything I'll know I can successfully feed my buddy! /QUOTE]

Next time to also slice your pinks down the back with a razor blade. This will help the snake in digestion, also help with any future regurges.

Also, hehe.. you get used to snakes getting off feed and back on. Try owning a hognose or a Ball python that doesn't eat for 3 months.

GlitterFlame89
01-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Well, I used a sharp pair of little scissors to make little cuts on the neck, head and back. Is that the same idea as the razor blade, same effect? And I know this doesn't mean he'll eat great always, but it makes me feel SO much better I was able to get him to eat.

GlitterFlame89
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Still going good! No regurges, and he is relaxing on the warm side. When should I expect him to defecate?

tricksterpup
01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
That is good to hear, I wouldn't hold this guy until the next feeding.
When I get wee ones, I rarely hold them until they are about a year old. then its time to be held and worked with.

Corny Noob
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Also for future feedings I would ditch the cardboard box, not very secure and I would feel uncomfortable constantly leaving him alone in it.