PDA

View Full Version : Resp. Infection or shedding?

Resp. Infection or shedding?

_Sam_
01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Alrighty, so I had Sam out today and I let him crawl around on the floor. He sneezed/hissed (do corns sneeze? there might have been dust on the floor too) a few times, and I started hearing him make clicking noises...the sides of his throat move when he does this. I have read that this could be the begginings of a resp. infection, or just pre shed noises. Sam is in fact about to shed soon, he's rubbing his nose against stuff...I have a heating pad on one side of the tank...I mean there's no way I can adjust it but I have the same heating pad for all the other snakes and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I would appreciate some advice on what these noises could be. Thanks!

alan
01-25-2008, 08:42 PM
My Cheerio started to do this once. She was housed in a glass viv at the time. Normally our house is a bit humid so it's easy to maintain good conditions for her. This happened when Northern Virginia, in fact the entire east coast, had a long dry spell (they did not even let us water our grass). I read some things online that had me worried about an RI. I decided to wait a bit and raise her humidity. She was fine about a day and a half later, no more "sneezes".
I'm going to be a bit wishy-washy here: I attributed the sneezes to dryness, I had no way to measure her viv humidity at the time, but I'm still not sure. She may have had a respiratory problem that she got over easier when she had better living conditions.

susang
01-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Sometimes when they are getting ready to shed they do that sneezie thing, so I've read on here and a couple of mine have done it.

xerxes
01-25-2008, 09:50 PM
i wouldnt worry about it. thats exactally what happedened to me. he was wheezing and making all sorts of noises whenever he would move around. but he finally shed and he's been fine ever since. so i would wait till after he sheds to do anything. just make sure the himidity is high enugh.

_Sam_
01-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys, I'll be keeping an eye on him! =D Glad to hear the news isn't all bad. Wouldn't want my Sammy boy to be sick! He's my first snake ever, and such a sweetie.

wade
01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Here is a really good link to an article written by Melissa Kaplan.

http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

It tells you how to diagnose as well as treat.