PDA

View Full Version : Huge Upgrade Planned

Huge Upgrade Planned

Paradox
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Currently, I own a cheap little Panasonic FZ50. Nifty and versatile - But the image quality can only be described with words involving asterisks. :grin01: So, I'm upgrading soon (I hope) - And it's a nice big upgrade. Equipment on my list is:

Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro (Decided the 100mm wasn't for me - Too long)
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC EX Macro (Or possibly the Tamron 17-50 equivalent)
Battery grip for the 40D

Also planning to acquire a monitor and printer calibration kit to get nice accurate displays and prints of my photos, a RAID hard drive to keep them all secure, and hopefully eventually a nice studio lighting setup. I'm going ambitious. ;) Just thought I'd share that with you, since I'm currently bored out of my mind, and kinda excited at the same time. :crazy02:

The Nothing
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
You're going to be VERY UNHAPPY

but only when you grab that 60mm macro and find out it won't work with the 40D. EF-S lenses only work on older APS-C sensor cameras like the 20d, 30d, and the rebels...

You can try a 50mm macro with the lifesize adapter, or even the Sigma 50mm macros which are true 1:1 macro lenses (unlike canons 50mm). But, first I'd suggest running with the 18-55mm kit lens that will come with the 40D. Its not the best one out there, but it's still a decent lens. You might learn that you want a bit more focal length and go with the 100mm or the sigma 105mm...

toyah
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM

but only when you grab that 60mm macro and find out it won't work with the 40D. EF-S lenses only work on older APS-C sensor cameras like the 20d, 30d, and the rebels...

The 40D works fine with EF-S lenses :)

I am busy weighing up the 100mm vs. 60mm macro for my 40D, I look forward to seeing your 60mm pics and hearing your thoughts once you've tried it "hands on" for a while.

Tula_Montage
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM

You can try a 50mm macro with the lifesize adapter, or even the Sigma 50mm macros which are true 1:1 macro lenses (unlike canons 50mm). But, first I'd suggest running with the 18-55mm kit lens that will come with the 40D. Its not the best one out there, but it's still a decent lens. You might learn that you want a bit more focal length and go with the 100mm or the sigma 105mm...

I can vouch for the sigma 105. It's incredibly sharp, and not too much of a monster at 105. For the money, it's an oustanding lens. Why get a 60mm when you can get 100+ for a wee bit more money. You will be much happier in the longrun.

Paradox
01-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks all for the help and advice - and the 40D is fine with EF-S lenses. Thinking of the 5D maybe? ;)

As for the 100 vs 60 debate - I've been thinking about it for a while. And for the style of photography I do, the converted focal length of about 160mm for the 100mm macro is far too long. The 96mm of the 60mm macro is perfect. And the lens is by all accounts sharp as hell.

And as for trying the focal lengths - I've got a 35-420mm equivalent ultrazoom. I've had it...8 months I believe. In that time, the lengths I've used have been those covered by the 18-50 (28-75 ish), and macro (Which my current camera is no good at). Both of which I have provided for with my lens options. The telephoto end has been used VERY rarely. So thanks for the advice - But I've done my research into what lengths I'll use throughly. That was the purpose of getting such a versatile camera. Now I'm ready to get some image quality back. ;)

Denise
01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
As a macro lens user in 2 lenghts for a while..... I prefer the shorter length, for snake pictures anyway..... I have the 90 Tamron... Phenomanal sharp lens, and the Nikon 60mm which is my friends.... i way prefer the 60 easier to reach snakes, and you can more of them in the picture at close range.
Iv recently got the Sigma 50mm macro...... but havent had time to use it yet!!!!! Must must must get my finger out... LOL

Good luck with your choice.... I think the shorter is better;-)

Den

Paradox
02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your input. :)