PDA

View Full Version : He won't stirke?

He won't stirke?

Scipp15
01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I've had my corn snake, Desmond, for 5, almost 6 months now. He has ALWAYS striked at his food. All of a sudden, he refuses to strike at his food and its almost like hes afraid of it. As far as I know, he didn't get hurt or anything so I don't know why this happened. Anyone know how I can fix this? I kinda liked watching him strike his food.

djfreebase
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Are you feeding F/T. Or live. I feed F/T. and have corns that will strike, but on some occasions just cant be bothered. You could try holding the mouse by the tail, and wiggle about a little, this usually tricks the snake into striking and constricting.

Scipp15
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Yea I'm feeding him F/T, but I always wiggle it and he's always striked at it and sometimes constricts.

Weebonilass
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
As long as he's eating, does it really matter?

StaceyBaybee
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Hes probably just realised they are already dead lol.

Scipp15
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Well no it doesn't really matter... It was just more fun to watch him strike it.

Jcapicy
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Could always give him a stunned live feeder that would twitch a little, but I agree your situation seems to be a good one. minimul injury possibilities this way.

snakewispera snr
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
You could try putting the pinkie in and scenting a little. Just enough to get snakey up and about.. Tease him a little..Make him hunt.
On the other hand he might have a quirk... Our IJ will refuse all food introduced in front of him. But touch them on his side just behind his head, and bang...every time. I haven't got a clue why he does it, he just does. He's a brilliant feeder now we got that sussed....LOL
MIKE

Weebonilass
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Well no it doesn't really matter... It was just more fun to watch him strike it.

More fun for you, doesn't make a hill of beans to him. I have four of them and not a single one strikes or constricts. I don't get a thrill from the "kill," so I don't care as long as they are eating. :)

chuck1289
01-29-2008, 06:07 AM
lmao!! You could always try making the pinkie touch his body.I know that makes my snake a little crazy hehehehehehehe.

Cornsnake124
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
You can crush the head to make the brain mush and I feed F/T to and I wiggle the food all the time to all of my snakes.

aracnomaster
01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
this may sound very stupid in fact i no it is and thats why i decided not to but any who mine dose that to he just slow goes up to it and pics it up i though about hand feeding him since he eats that way but ten secounds latter my brain went .... dont be stupid

Weebonilass
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
lmao!! You could always try making the pinkie touch his body.I know that makes my snake a little crazy hehehehehehehe.

Makes my big guy skittish and it takes him alot longer to get around to feeding. He also won't take it from my hand. He'll wait like a gentleman until I lay it down and then it goes to down... just wolfs the thing down. No waste of time or energy with striking, contracting, just get to the eating part :)

aracnomaster
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
so you acctualy tried feeding from ure hand i dicided not to becouse it would be controversial wouldnt it

Weebonilass
01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
so you acctualy tried feeding from ure hand i dicided not to becouse it would be controversial wouldnt it

Probably for alot of snakes it would be. I've had Kieran since he was just a couple of months old and it's only recently that I tried feeding him from the hand and he's now six years old. Of course, when you are holding a small rat by the tail, your hand isn't in as close of a range as it would be holding a smaller mouse. He could have struck at it and still missed my hand by a mile. Instead he sniffed it and backed off until I laid it down before him. :)

aracnomaster
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
yes i just got mine and he isnt but a few months old

chuck1289
01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
But always remember, just as long as your snake is eating it doesn't matter if he/she doesn't strike.

K'Bear
01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and it was that the snake wasn't hungry. So i waited a few days, then put another pinkie in and she seemed afraid then i started to wonder. Turns out the best method was to cut the pinkies noes and she soon got the scent.