PDA

View Full Version : how to get hatchings to eat???

how to get hatchings to eat???

cdp13075
06-06-2003, 08:35 PM
I have 9 hatchlings that have already shed near the first of the week. I'm having feeding problems. 5 have already ate but 4 of them has no interest in eating. I'm using thawed pinkies like I did when my adults were babies. How long should I wait until I can try again?

This is my first hatchlings and I've never done this before. All 3 of my corns were suppose to be males. I've read it can be hard to get them to eat and any suggestions will be great.

13mur 6
06-06-2003, 09:40 PM
I think you shouldn't try more than once every 3 days, since trying to get them to eat more often will probably stress them out and make them even less likely to eat.

There was another post about taking them for a drive which I thought was pretty cool and people have had varying degrees of success with it.

Also, some hatchlings never eat on their own, as if they just want to starve themselves to death. I'm not saying your's will be like that, but just take it as a possibility.

If F/T doesn't work, try freshly killed, or a brained pinkie, or a headless pinkie, or even a live one. Also, try leaving a F/T pinkie in a deli cup and add the snake and leave in a dark warm place overnight.

Or maybe they want lizards? Try buying a lizard (green anoles, skinks), freeze it for a week to kill off as much parasites as you can (maybe some UV exposure to be on the safe side), and chop a lil piece of tail off and stick it in the pinkie's mouth, or wrap the pinkie with the skin of the lizard. But this may be hard to revert since your snake may only want lizards after that point.

I guess try what's simplest first and go up the complexity tree.

Good luck.

-13mur 6