PDA

View Full Version : which camera!?

which camera!?

SquamishSerpents
02-02-2008, 01:40 AM
now, i have been using various types of sony cybershots over the last few years. and although i don't have pictures anywhere NEAR as stunning as the ones posted here, i do have a bunch that i am proud of. however i just feel like i have outgrown my sony cybershot compact digicam, like i have used it to it's full potential, and i feel i need to move on to bigger and better things. i'll always use my trusty compact for party pictures, going out, etc. but i want to get into more complex photography.

so, cruising around on the forums, (this one, and others) i've noticed that Nikon seems to be the most popular brand of digital SLR.

i have NO previous experience whatsoever with an SLR. but i want to get one that i can learn beginner techniques on, but i want it to be good enough that i won't grow bored, and feel like i need to upgrade my camera a little bit down the line.

i've been eyeing this camera, (the Nikon D80) (http://www.1wayphoto.com/products.asp?dept_id=10267&product_id=12051). i have approxamatley $1000 that i can spend on a new camera.

and i want to get these books by scott kelby (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2) and also this book (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D80-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470120517/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201933347&sr=1-1) which is specifically about the Nikon D80.

do any of you have much experience with this? would this be a good set-up for a beginner? any suggestions? is that a reasonable price for the camera?

etc, etc. i would love to know your opinions on these types of camera.

dwyn127
02-02-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm using a Nikon right now. I personally prefer Canon, but you can't go wrong with Nikon, great product.

SquamishSerpents
02-02-2008, 03:11 AM
any particular reason you prefer Canon?

ratsncorns
02-02-2008, 04:45 AM
It's all about preference and what people are familiar with. Personally, all my optics are Nikon (binoculars, cameras, spotting scope) just because I have had great experience with their products. I am used to how Nikon camera's work so if I switched to Canon, I probably would still prefer a Nikon. I say go for the D80 (but I am biased). I have been eyeing it for a while just can't afford it. Hopefully soon!

toyah
02-02-2008, 05:37 AM
There is very little to choose from with Nikon vs. Canon. Do you have any friends with SLRs? If you do, go with whatever brand they tend to use, as that normally gives you access to more lenses!

dwyn127
02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
any particular reason you prefer Canon?

It's all about preference and what people are familiar with. Personally, all my optics are Nikon (binoculars, cameras, spotting scope) just because I have had great experience with their products. I am used to how Nikon camera's work

Yeah, what Angela said. They are both top quality SLR cameras and you won't go wrong with either.

Tula_Montage
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I use the Nikon D40 and various Lens' including the sigma 105 macro. I doubt I'll ever need anymore more for snake photography!

Deffinatley go with the D80 - You will simply not be disapointed.

SquamishSerpents
02-02-2008, 04:01 PM
oh maaaaaaaaaaaaan, what about this (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665345629&storeId=10151) one?

Denise
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Iuse Nikon.... Iv the D70s and D200.... but whatever you get, whether Nikon or Canon... you`ll love..... Id try to stick with a system tho that you can use the modern lens... No point getting a cam and not getting full use of it;-))))
Even if you get a cheap macro lens... you`ll be blown away with its performance.... I got the Sigma 50mm lens and its amazing......Both for near and further length photography. (I have a 90mm but find it too long for photgraphing snakes, this is just my preference)
Both Taken with the 50mm
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Dendav/Animals/Summerclose0208.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Dendav/Animals/Summerbod0208.jpg

Den

Paradox
02-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Nikon and Canon are both vastly popular - Hence the names coined on forums of 'Nikonians' and 'Canonites' denoting those preferring either system. And while these are probably the most versatile cameras at the moment, Sony are showing themselves as a bit of a dark horse, and are soon to launch 3 entry-level DSLR's. You might want to look into them - Ignore all the brand names for a while. Just look at features compared to price, and choose whichever suits you - Also consider ergonomics and menus etc. Any of the three brands will do nicely. In the end - It's just a logo. ;)

Joejr14
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
In the end - It's just a logo. ;)

I would strongly disagree with that comment in relation to cameras and optics.

Denise
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I dont beleive its just logo either....
But you have to decide yourself..... Look up camera review sites..... Lots have comparison tests.....
My friend has the Sony DSLR.... She loves it.... Its reviews tend not to be as good as Nikon or Canon tho;-)
Den

Paradox
02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm not so sure really - Canon and Nikon, yes there are differences between them, but realistically you can get great photos with either setup for a similar price - it's all down to preference and ergonomics IMHO. Panasonic and Olympus may as well be the same company (And essentially are - The accessories are almost all cross-compatible, my Olympus flash on my Panasonic camera works TTL for example, not to mention the 4/3 system ;)). Sony and Pentax however are very much different beasts to the Canikons, containing the in-body stabilisation, for example.

To me, how the camera handles is much more important than the brand on it. If all the cameras were under the same company, you'd go for whichever felt better, and you thought was better value for money - I see no difference with the brands involved?

Tula_Montage
02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
You guys are forgetting a vital point. It doesnt matter how fabulous your camera is, or what brand it is. It's all about the person behind it.... You can have the most expensive kit in the world and still take awful pictures.

Just my 2 pence...

Paradox
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
So true. Also, on an equipment note, the lens is far more important than the body anyway. So all the debating over which body to buy is...irrelevant really. You can mount a £500 lens on a £300 body and get better pictures than with a £150 lens on a £1000 body - The camera is worthless without good glass infront of it, really.

Joejr14
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
So true. Also, on an equipment note, the lens is far more important than the body anyway. So all the debating over which body to buy is...irrelevant really. You can mount a £500 lens on a £300 body and get better pictures than with a £150 lens on a £1000 body - The camera is worthless without good glass infront of it, really.

Exactly, and Nikon glass is so much better than Sigma or Tamron glass....

Paradox
02-03-2008, 04:41 AM
That's a somewhat crude analogy, if accurate in some ways. Yes Nikon glass is likely to have better image quality/sharpness than the equivalent range in the Sigma or Tamron lines - But for the prices of those two companies, the value for money is much greater. There are plenty of reviews out there by people who are just as satisfied with their Sigma or Tamron lens as their Nikon or Canon ones - Yes there are some poor lenses in the lineups, but there are some gems out there if you just take a while to dig through. ;)

Tula_Montage
02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree paradox. I have an entry level body (Nikon D40) but I like to think my macro lens is a bit fabulous. I work with the Sigma 105mm and have absolutly no complaints whatsoever. I couldn't afford the Nikon 105 and I simply dislike Tamron in every way shape and form. Plus I bought mine second hand in mint condition for a fraction of the price a new one would cost. I'm an extremely happy bunny with my cheap, basic SLR kit.