PDA

View Full Version : Fresh kill better than frozen ??

Fresh kill better than frozen ??

Droptines
02-05-2008, 04:30 AM
I was thinking of switching over.These frozen mice are a nasty !!!,I noticed they even smell crappy.Why is this ??,,its almost as if they were dead for a short while before they are frozen.
??

diamondlil
02-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Depends on your supplier. Personally I've found a good supplier of adults now, but I grow all my own pinks and fluffs because I got sick of throwing stinky mice away.
Rather than the mice being dead a while before they're frozen, I believe they thaw and get refrozen during their processing and transport sometimes. I had issues because the bought pinks sometimes were mushy when I thawed them out for feeding

Hunter2011
02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
At petsmart they wanted 10$ for a pack of 6 frozen pinkies!!!, So now I'm thinking about just getting 2 mice, and...making my own lol

Corny Noob
02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Petco is way cheaper, FYI. Also check your local petstores that sell reptiles and reptile supplies, Hunter.

MerlinsPop
02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I've not heard anything bad about frozen mice provided by The Mouse Factory or Rodent Pro (there are other good suppliers, too). When you factor in shipping, it is advantageous to buy in bulk, but the quality is very high.

Growing your own is an option, but you need to consider the added time for tending to them. Plus, some don't like the smell.

wade
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
If you treat your mice like you do your own frozen food there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. Seal the packages well to prevent freezer burn.

Nanci
02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
My Mouse Factory mice are snow white and do not smell. If you feed FK, you run the risk of passing parasites on to the snake. Freezing kills worms, eventually.

Weebonilass
02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
My Mouse Factory mice are snow white and do not smell. If you feed FK, you run the risk of passing parasites on to the snake. Freezing kills worms, eventually.

Thats the advice my first reptile vet gave me and it made sense to me :)

susang
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
At petsmart they wanted 10$ for a pack of 6 frozen pinkies!!!, So now I'm thinking about just getting 2 mice, and...making my own lol

Sorry to the OP for hyjacking your thread
Hunter, 2 mice probably wouldn't work well, maybe more like 1.3 or 1.4. First it takes a while for the colony to become established. I've been told if you only have 1.1 the male is constantly bugging the female. You have to consider the food for the mice, bedding, housing and cleaning at least once a week. It's a bigger job than it seems.
I also agree go to a Mom and Pop, pet shop. I used to pay a $1.00 any size mouse, $2.00 for rat pups.

Emily1188
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I bought a 3 pack of adult mice from Petco (Rodent Gourmet, or something like that), and they smelled... There was also a peice of poop in the package with the mice. I was not happy. I went to a local mom and pop place, where they grow their own feeders and freeze them. You select the feeders yourself, so you can determine the size of individual meal. And they are snow white and not stinky at all.

Droptines, I would look for a new supplier.

rolandslf
02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi there, I breed my own feeders and feed my snakes freshly killed prey, for 6 years so far without problems.
The comment made by Nanci is however of high value due to the fact that freezing kills any worms or parasites.
Only you can decide for yourself if you believe that prevention is better than cure.

Ciao

atown16
02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
One thing that i just found out Monday was that when i bought live pinkies, and froze them myself they seemed to look and feel a lot better. Maybe that also because they had no chance to be thawed at any point like what kinda happens when i bring the frozen ones home.

Hunter2011
02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
hmm Susang, yeah i know it is a lot of work to have rodents, I haev had hamsters, gerbils, guinni pigs, and mice all my life, but at the moment none, so it won't be anything new, but what does it mean when u say like 1.1 and 1.4 and stuff??

lil_rab2005
02-05-2008, 08:05 PM
hmm Susang, yeah i know it is a lot of work to have rodents, I haev had hamsters, gerbils, guinni pigs, and mice all my life, but at the moment none, so it won't be anything new, but what does it mean when u say like 1.1 and 1.4 and stuff??

Hi, she means when she says 1.3 = 1 male and 3 female. If you notice on alot of peoples quotes on the bottom where they list all their animals they say 1.3 corns, 2.0 dogs, 1.1 cats" and so on is the left number is the males then the right side is the females and when you see 1.3.1 is one male, 3 females and 1 unknown... hope this helps :)

Lil. :)

Good luck :)

Hunter2011
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
yeah it does!! lol thanks! :) anyone know what the uth temp is supposed to be on the glass and above the subtrate??????

Droptines
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the impute guys and gals,,,The brand I have been using are put out by Arctic Mouse,,sold at PETSMART.
I'm thinking of giving the local retile/snake shop a call.I know they sell a LOT of mice and rats.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Mdralston
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi, she means when she says 1.3 = 1 male and 3 female. If you notice on alot of peoples quotes on the bottom where they list all their animals they say 1.3 corns, 2.0 dogs, 1.1 cats" and so on is the left number is the males then the right side is the females and when you see 1.3.1 is one male, 3 females and 1 unknown... hope this helps :)

Good luck :)

Thanks! I was wondering about that i just wasn't sure how to ask!

Cornsnake124
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I say frozen

lil_rab2005
02-07-2008, 03:50 AM
ya'll are so welcome. I just figured this out myself not too long ago so I know how you felt lol.

Take care,

hippiebrian
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I go to Reptiles Unlimited, where they kill me a months worth of mice at a time for me to freeze myself. This works well, and I know the mice are fresh and fed well. Reptiles Unlimited is in Long Beach, Ca. by the way.

lil_rab2005
02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I go to Reptiles Unlimited, where they kill me a months worth of mice at a time for me to freeze myself. This works well, and I know the mice are fresh and fed well. Reptiles Unlimited is in Long Beach, Ca. by the way.

how do they kill them? Do they uthenize them? or some other way?

Thanks,

Cornsnake124
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, these are the ways that I know about. 1: You can put them all in a bag and the just freeze them. They will suficate in the bag. 2: you can either wack them up on the wall one by one, or you can put them all in a bag and wack them.

Cornsnake124
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
My brother in law has blood marks on his wall from doing it.

lil_rab2005
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
My brother in law has blood marks on his wall from doing it.

No, I meant do you know how the pet store does it before you freeze them yourself? lol blood marks on his wall? wow that's kinda gross lol. I'm joking when I say this of course. :)

diamondlil
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I would imagine most people euthanising a large number of rodents on a regular basis would use co2. Personally I fast-freeze pinks, and use cervical dislocation with anything bigger. There's no need to 'whack against a wall' , IMO unless you like drama:shrugs:

Cornsnake124
02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
It is fun! :) But the only ones he did that to were HUGE old breeders that needed to go. Again, it is kind of fun for some reason.:shrugs:

diamondlil
02-12-2008, 08:03 PM
It is fun! :) But the only ones he did that to were HUGE old breeders that needed to go. Again, it is kind of fun for some reason.:shrugs:
FUN! There are so many things I could say, but I'll just say you thinking that's fun makes me feel sad.
I grew up on a farm, I've seen rabbits shot for eating, I've seen pigs and chickens slaughtered that I'd help raise. All killed quickly and cleanly, I'm not squeamish but I've never thought it was fun.

Cornsnake124
02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Guess where I am right now and guess what I had to do today. I am at a FARM and I had to move PIGS today!:grin01:

lil_rab2005
02-13-2008, 03:18 AM
FUN! There are so many things I could say, but I'll just say you thinking that's fun makes me feel sad.
I grew up on a farm, I've seen rabbits shot for eating, I've seen pigs and chickens slaughtered that I'd help raise. All killed quickly and cleanly, I'm not squeamish but I've never thought it was fun.

I totally agree with you J9... and in my opinion, if someone says something like that is fun well, I think that's kinda sadistic, and sad as well. I'm not tryin' to start trouble at all but I don't think alot of people will agree with this person on that one. I won't say anything else on this one.

Lil.

PS. J9, you are a very strong person for only saying what you did and nothing else. :) I applaud you lol...

Cornsnake124
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok guys... Why don't we try to get this thread back on the subject that it was started for! This is the second time that I have been masacured:-punch: for somthing I said. The last time I got grilled I got called a little imbasule for getting mixed up with the sunkissed and golddust phases.:headbang:

lil_rab2005
02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Ok guys... Why don't we try to get this thread back on the subject that it was started for! This is the second time that I have been masacured:-punch: for somthing I said. The last time I got grilled I got called a little imbasule for getting mixed up with the sunkissed and golddust phases.:headbang:

Well if you look on any of my posts I don't "massacre" anyone, or have any kind of confrontation toward anybody on here but if there is any massacre going on here it's not towards you, it's the little rats that are being thrown up against a wall, and not to be just killed but for the fun of it?!?! Yikes, I'd hate to be one of your pets, lol.

Have a good day,

Cornsnake124
02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Well just to get the post back on the original subject of is fresh kill better than frozen kill, I would say that it is personal prefrence and if you have the recorces to get fresh kill. :)

Droptines
02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
:angry01:I just tried a mouse from a new place.I believe the quality was/is better than Arctic Mice.This guys shop is strictly reptiles,,almost all snakes,except for a few BD's,geckos and a 5' croc :eek1:
So my corn refused the meal....:angry01:DAMN !!!!!!
I hate that,,what a waste.
Just think,,If I had,say a ball python,and fed live,well then no waste.
If the snake does'nt eat the mouse,pop it in a 10 gal.,,feed it for a week,then go for round 2 :)

Corny Noob
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
You know as long as you didn't have the mouse thawed out so long it was rotting I would have just refrozen it...

patm1313
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Well, there's petsmart for you. Not to mention that those pinkies were probably frozen a rethawed several hundred times, and that they were basicly capsules of disease.

insomniac101
02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I feed f/t, and have never had any issues. I buy from The Mouse Factory, and their feeders are clean, well-fed, and vacuum-packaged. Shipping is kind of expensive, but I buy approximately 400 mice/rats at a time, so that makes it a little more economical. If I lived in a rural area, and had more room, I might try to raise my own, but time/space prohibits it for now.

And sorry, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of killing animals for entertainment. I don't believe that anyone is trying to "massacre" you, but when you make such a statement, expect people to respond.

Kathy

starsevol
02-24-2008, 12:50 PM

It's been well documented that serial killers start out by killing small animals for "fun". I think it's time to tell mommy and daddy that you and big brother need to see a therapist.....

TandJ
02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
It is fun! But the only ones he did that to were HUGE old breeders that needed to go. Again, it is kind of fun for some reason.

Don't understand why it would be fun.. ?? Whats to be entertaining with taking away a life.. ?? I understand and determine it is for food, for it is never a fun thing for me to do.. Of course there is no one trying to massacure you, but what you do have is people expressing their opinion politely about how they prefer to dispatch their rodents, however if you can read between the lines ( like that is nescessary ) being entertained by smashing a rat against the wall is a tad bit morbid and just screwed up..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Cornsnake124
02-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Don't know why it is fun. It might be fun because it is just somthing to do.

starsevol
02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Seriously, if you truly believe that killing small animals is "fun", you need to seek help.

People who have been taught COMPASSION realize that even though rodents are food, they feel pain just like any other creature. Their small bodies are equipped with a brain, spinal cord and nerve endings just like a dog or a cat. Slamming them against a wall for kicks is sadistic behaviour. "Normal" people don't find killing helpless creatures "fun", but serial killers do.

I don't care WHY you think it's fun. The fact that you DO think its fun is quite disturbing.

You really need to tell mommy and daddy that you and big brother need some therapy.

patm1313
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Don't understand why it would be fun.. ?? Whats to be entertaining with taking away a life.. ?? I understand and determine it is for food, for it is never a fun thing for me to do.. Of course there is no one trying to massacure you, but what you do have is people expressing their opinion politely about how they prefer to dispatch their rodents, however if you can read between the lines ( like that is nescessary ) being entertained by smashing a rat against the wall is a tad bit morbid and just screwed up..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

It's a disease. Killing people givesmurderes an extreme sense of power, almost like being god. It's not fun for anyone, unless good things come out of it or you have a disease.

How can ggood things come out of it. Shooting a dear for example, is "fun" because it's a hunt and stalk thing and it's rewarding. Killing a rattlesnake is fun because you just felt the extreme adrenaline rush of it being so close to biting you. Though BTW, I do not support killing snakes for any reason, especially rattlers. Cute little things...

patm1313
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Don't hate the guy because he likes killing things. He just needs help, and lots of it. Your right star, that they feel pain.

TandJ
02-27-2008, 02:11 AM
It's a disease. Killing people givesmurderes an extreme sense of power, almost like being god. It's not fun for anyone, unless good things come out of it or you have a disease.

Thank you for your insight.. I think... :shrugs::crazy01:

Oh my, I think we are heading into an intresting future..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

patm1313
02-27-2008, 08:09 AM
It's the truth. Now, look, If you're a mouse breeder, then you cant help but feel a little happy killing the things because every time you kill one of them it's like seeing little dollar bills being made. That is, of course, if you sell them.

Cornsnake124
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
so in patm1313 eyes, I am a sikopath. Oh really! :mad::uzi:

patm1313
02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

No you're not. there is certain conditions where people like killing things and it's all that can be expected. Such as you.

MegF.
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a local supplier...they are killed and then frozen...so they are fresh frozen I guess. They are just as good after thawing as when they were first killed. I think it depends upon what the mice were fed before they met their demise and how they were kept.

starsevol
02-28-2008, 08:51 AM

The word is "psychopath" and neither patm nor I are psychologists. But since you think killing small animals is "fun" you and big bro should go SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST to determine whether you are a "psychopath" or not.

You both display a classic symptom, I'm afaid.