PDA

View Full Version : maybe not enough food

maybe not enough food

cornlover221
02-07-2008, 02:47 AM
ok so i fed my 14 inch corn today and he finally let me watch him eat...it took him like 5 seconds to take it, and like a minute to get it all down(im useing 1 day old pinkies) he acted like he was still hungry so i tried givin him another one but he just rub his nose on it and wouldnt take it, should i move up in size or should i hold the second pinky against the one he's eating or would that be to much for him?

PAIN
02-07-2008, 03:32 AM
I had somewhat the same problem. My 16 inch Aztec wanted more and looked like he was hunting for more. He took the pinkie down in seconds and the next day his lump was history. So I fed him another. I am doubling up on my pinkie feeding with him 2 more times to get rid of the pinkies and then i am on to fuzzies.

Susanq told me best, the size of the food is something like 1.5 the size of the belly of the snake.

cornlover221
02-07-2008, 03:41 AM
i just ordered 100 1 day old pinkies so should i feed him 2 of them cause it barely left much of a bulge, and there prolly about the same size as him maybe lil bit bigger

snakewispera snr
02-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Why did you order so many one day old pinks. On the 4-5 day feeding schedule, thats about 15-16 months worth of food. Can't you buy them as you need them, then you can go up sizes as your snake grows.
MIKE

cornlover221
02-07-2008, 04:23 AM
its much cheaper to buy them in bulk...and i really wasnt thinkin i would need something bigger so soon

Susan
02-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Depending upon who you purchased the pinkies from, you'll probably get some variation in their size anyway. You can always give 2-3 pinkies per feeding depending upon how fast your snake grows, so don't worry about having ordered "too many"...you didn't. The meal should leave a nice bulge in the stomach. You'll be surprised at actually how big a meal a corn snake can handle, especially a hatchling.

MerlinsPop
02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
its much cheaper to buy them in bulk...and i really wasnt thinkin i would need something bigger so soon

And some places let you mix sizes and still get the discounted prices for buying in bulk.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your only option now is to get another one or two baby cornsnakes to eat up your supply of small pinks...:rofl:

Wylie
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry to tell you this, but your only option now is to get another one or two baby cornsnakes to eat up your supply of small pinks...:rofl:

Ha ha! Hey, I need to try that one on hubby so he'll let me get another corn snake, hehehe!

Why did you order so many one day old pinks. On the 4-5 day feeding schedule, thats about 15-16 months worth of food. Can't you buy them as you need them, then you can go up sizes as your snake grows.
MIKE

Oh, and by the way, just some friendly FYI, don't know how it is over there but over here, the only place I could find to order frozen pinkies from with less than a 100 pinkie minimum was The Big Cheese Rodent Factory and their minimum was 50. So I'll also be doubling up on pinks very soon until they're all used up then I'll move to the next bigger size.

cornlover221
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
so how would i go about feeding doubled up?

Wylie
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
so how would i go about feeding doubled up?

K, first off, make sure he is indeed ready for two at a time. If 24 hours after feeding him the 1 day old pinkie, he has no discernible lump, as in you can't even tell he ate, then he is indeed ready to take two pinkies in one feeding. So then you give him one then another one right after. I'll be starting this soon with my snake as well.