• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

constricting while eating

cornlover221

2 Just Isnt Enough
mines not doing it...hes also only a hatchling and i feed him f/t pinkies does that come with age or do they just constrict live prey?

Most corns don't constrict f/t prey so don't worry about it. Not a single one of my snakes has ever constricted before. Some people on here have corns that do though.

I wouldn't worry, it may of figured out that it doesen't need to constrick prey, which wild Corn Snakes while eating most prey, need to do. I was wondering, if you give an adult Corn a live full grown mouse, but hasn't consticked before, will it constrict the live prey?

I wouldn't worry, it may of figured out that it doesen't need to constrick prey, which wild Corn Snakes while eating most prey, need to do. I was wondering, if you give an adult Corn a live full grown mouse, but hasn't consticked before, will it constrict the live prey?

If the corn snake doesn't consider the prey item to be a threat or in imminent danger of escaping, it usually won't waste energy constricting. An adult corn that has always been fed f/t without constricting will definitely constrict a live adult mouse if one is is offered, if it isn't intimidated by the prey item.

Interesting topic. I have 9 corns of various ages and sizes. All but one of them constrict F/T prey. I have this weird butter motley that expects me to just drop a mouse in his gaping jaws!

Kathy

Of the four I have now and the two others, only one constricted. Lady G always threw herself around her cage and you had to make sure the feeding cage wasn't near the edge or it might go off the ledge. Tried to convince her the thing was dead already, but she never believed me.

My big guy, Kieran, nope, never constricted and doesn't now. I'd be concerned about putting a live rat in there with him. He would expect it to just lie there and take it like a man :)

I bought a young King snake (pic in my av) that didn't constrict the pinkies I fed her. Sometimes she would eat them tail first too. I was worried and hoped that she would develop into a better hunter than that (I only feed live prey).

I moved up to fuzzies and the same deal. Poor constrictor and didn't know how to wrap around well enough to asphyxiate her prey.

I recently moved up to decent sized hoppers. Big enough that now they fight back (had one take a good nip out of one of her scales, enough to worry me a little). You know what? she is ferocious now. Still not that great on the aim (I prefer when they get the mouse by the face so there is no change of injury), but her coiling is excellent.

I guess the point is reiterated here: they will attempt to conserve their energy. But as you can see from the stories, they are always exceptions ;) But don't worry about it. When your snake gets older and you move up to bigger mice, she will become a better hunter. After all, that is what they are built for.

Back