PDA

View Full Version : snake vomitting

snake vomitting

ThatguyLUKE
02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, i have recently bought a corn snake hatchling. I fed him the first time and everything went well. I fed him 5 days later and two days after the feeding he vomitted the pinky. Im not sure if he knows where his water dsh is, but when i put him into the cage i try to show him. What should I do?

diamondlil
02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Read the FAQ at the top of the Health issues and follow the regurge protocol.

Rich in KY
02-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree with Janine. You should read what to do after a regurge. This includes a 10 day wait period before feeding again. Then offering your snake a small meal.

As long as you keep fresh water in the same place, your snake will find it. You should place it around the edge of the viv until your snake becomes well established.

Cam5
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
What are the cage temps on both ends and in the warm hide?
Is he going onto a shed?

ThatguyLUKE
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
The warm end is 84 and the cool end is 75 at the moment, but he vommited at night when the lamp was off, also i have apparently been feeding him too often, because the guy at petco said feed every 5-7 days and the exotic animal vet told me every 6-8 days preferably 7

Cam5
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Make sure his warm hide has a good source of belly heat and is always between 80*F and 84*F (not over 85*F) at all times.
They are digesting all day and need the heat to help them do that.

A lot of folks feed their hatchlings every 5-7 days (they need 4 days to digest a meal).
The food item should make a small bulge for the first 24-no longer than 48 hours.

As they age a lot of people go to every 7-14 days.

Search "Munson Plan" it will give you a general idea.
But follow the regurge protocol before upping the food size or frequency etc.

As stated prior,
Put his low water dish at the edge of the cage so when he comes out cruising the perimeter of the cage at night he can't help but find it. Also be sure to completely change out the water at least 2x/week...don't just top it off:)

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes in 10 days...

ThatguyLUKE
02-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok...thanks a lot, but i have one more question. Does it matter what end i keep the water dish on?

Rich in KY
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I put my water dishes in the middle between the warm and cool sides.

Cam5
02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63386
read this...esp last post from Nanci

Susielea
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I have my water dishes at the cool end of my vivariums.

This is because if put it in the warm end it will raise humidity and corns don't need a very high humidity level. Also I don't think they would enjoy drinking warm water...yuk!....also bacteria will build up in the water bowl a lot quicker if it's warm.

So keep it at the cooler end and all should be fine.

Best wishes,

Cam5
02-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I do the opposite because it is so dry with the heat on here in MN.
I change out the water 2-3 times a week.

I did not realize our new Charcoal Hypo was in shed and it was a disaster due to the dry conditions. It is hard to tell with those little pink hatchlings.
Even with the water towards the warm end, I had to do a moist hide for our Caramel hatchling for the full week she was in shed and hers went perfect.

I am not disagreeing with what you said, just that all information being equal it will depend on the home environment.:shrugs:

Wylie
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I personally keep a water bowl on each side. I know it's too dry here right now, my nasal passages are dried up and I get blood from my nose everytime I blow it. And heck, I'm in NC! Flash is about to shed also. I don't have any moss so I just put in a hide with moist paper towels in there for now plus I covered the top on the warm side to try and keep some moisture in there.

zorro
02-13-2008, 04:26 PM
The warm end is 84 and the cool end is 75 at the moment, but he vommited at night when the lamp was off, also i have apparently been feeding him too often, because the guy at petco said feed every 5-7 days and the exotic animal vet told me every 6-8 days preferably 7

Don't use a lamp, you need an undertank heater that is on all the time dispite what the guy at Petco says.

Cam5
02-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I personally keep a water bowl on each side. I know it's too dry here right now, my nasal passages are dried up and I get blood from my nose everytime I blow it. And heck, I'm in NC! Flash is about to shed also. I don't have any moss so I just put in a hide with moist paper towels in there for now plus I covered the top on the warm side to try and keep some moisture in there.

Great idea to add an extra water dish!
I used a damp paper towel in the warm hide too:)
I have a buggie paranoia with the moss:uhoh:...I know everyone does it:shrugs:

Wylie
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Great idea to add an extra water dish!
I used a damp paper towel in the warm hide too:)
I have a buggie paranoia with the moss:uhoh:...I know everyone does it:shrugs:

Yeah, my intent was to have one for drinking, a small one, on the cool side, and one for soaking, a larger one, on the warm side.

Thing is, so far he's not using the moist paper towel hide. What to do then? I put it right in front of the hide he is currently in, did that last night, but I just checked on him and he's STILL in the original hide, not using the moist paper towel hide. Do they know enough to go somewhere moist or even into the water dish to help themselves shed?

Cam5
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, my intent was to have one for drinking, a small one, on the cool side, and one for soaking, a larger one, on the warm side.

Thing is, so far he's not using the moist paper towel hide. What to do then? I put it right in front of the hide he is currently in, did that last night, but I just checked on him and he's STILL in the original hide, not using the moist paper towel hide. Do they know enough to go somewhere moist or even into the water dish to help themselves shed?

Our intentions and their follow through are not always the same huh:)

Our little guy did not go near the separate hide I made either.
So I used warmish water to dampen a paper towel...(I soaked it and rung out the extra.) Then just put it in his regular warm hide with him. Not on him...I kind of just tucked it in the opposite corner from him.
Every couple days I took it out and the aspen it was on and freshened everything up so no mold could kick in.

Our guy that had the stuck shed was different.
I rubbed a bit of mineral oil on my hands and got him nice and slick.
Then put him in the following:
A larger (quart size I think) Gladware disposable container and drilled holes in the lid for air.
Soaked aspen bedding with warm water, drained off the extra and put him in there for 2 hours, with the lid on and in his tank just in case he escaped.

Then I soaked some knit winter gloves in warm water, took him out and let him slide through my gloved hands...everything came off like a charm:dancer: