PDA

View Full Version : Snakes not eating + regurge = AHHHH!

Snakes not eating + regurge = AHHHH!

MrsCornSnake
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Today, all of the pets have decided to go crazy. First, the mastiff escapes her yard _again_. I live near a busy street, so it's not a small thing. Luckily, I have the best neighbor ever and she caught the dog and corralled it.

Then I got home and took a look at the snakes. Pantalaimon, my new bloodred het stripe -- regurged. His sister, Kirjava, refused a meal a few days ago. (I'm going to try her again today) What is it with these two?

(I'm not too worried about getting Kirjava to eat. She's eaten once already with no problems, and I've raised a Butter to adulthood and he was the pickiest little guy ever.)

I've started to have to use heat since moving to the new house, and both temps are fine. 85 and 72 on either side of the cage. I know what to do about regurges, but this is my first ever in having snakes for 4 years and... *sigh* it's going to be a long 8 days before I try to feed Pan again with a pinky head.

Even though things are just starting, somehow I have a very bad feeling about these two which is a shame because not only do I have grand plans for their breeding -- I've grown to love the little guys.

So my real question is after the mini-rant is: What is the percentage of the hatchlings making it after regurges? Good? 50/50... or less?

Here's a picture of Pan, taken about four days ago:

http://www.geocities.com/harperbrandyalexander/Pantalaimonjpeg.JPG

Off to call the land lord and let them know about the hole in the fence. *Le Sigh*

Roy Munson
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
So my real question is after the mini-rant is: What is the percentage of the hatchlings making it after regurges? Good? 50/50... or less?

Tough day. But you know what Annie says about tomorrow... :-punch:

Regurges aren't a death sentence by any means! My regurging-est snake ever ended up a monster. You have to take every regurge seriously, and take measures to correct the cause, but you don't need to panic. I've seen a number of hatchlings regurge when they ate in the onset of shed, before they went fully opaque/blue. I don't worry about these so much, but I do follow post-regurge protocol with them. I've never even done the "pinky head" or parts thing. I just give them the smallest pink in the bag for the post-regurge feeding. Sometimes moving a hatching to cooler or warmer conditions can be beneficial. Sounds like you're running things a little warm already (85*), so I wouldn't go warmer.

If the snake doesn't have some pre-existing physical condition, and you provide proper environmental conditions and follow post-regurge protocol, the snake should be fine.

And for the refusers, don't forget the "soap and water" trick. Wash the pink in a mild, non-perfumed soap, and rinse very well. This has worked for more picky hatchlings than I can remember...

Good luck. :)

Rich in KY
02-13-2008, 10:57 PM
My little piece of advice is after the 8 day wait to feed Pantalaimon, offer him a small meal. Either a one day old pink, if that is available, or half of a pink. I had to do this with one of mine this past year. It is a little messy, but worth it to go with half a pink.

Good luck with everything.

Keep us updated.

Jessicat
02-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Buy some NutriBac from Kathy Love. Sprinkle it on Pan's next meal.

Here's a link to where you can buy it from Kathy. You may also be able to find it locally, but if you can afford shipping this might be faster than hunting around.

http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20TOOLS%20PRODUCTS%20herp%20Cornutopia%20corn%20s nakes%20cornsnakes.htm

Good luck getting your snakes on track!

MrsCornSnake
02-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys!

I was going to use the weekend to hunt around for the NutriBac in my own area. There are a few feed stores around, so it may be there. But Kathy is next on my list!

Rich -- Well any excuse to get out the paring knife is a good excuse in my book. I'll cut the pinky in half.

Roy -- Thanks for the hopeful news. I've had them refuse on me, and I've delt with it. I've just never had them throw it back at me!

With all of these tips, Pan won't even know what hit him. lol.

suecornish
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I have a Female Bolivian Short Tail who is plaguing me with regurges. I keep almost minute to minute records on her. With her is time between feedings - If I feed her less than 10 days from the last feeding she'll regurge in 2-3 days but if I wait until after that 10 day period she'll keep it down. I have been feeding her smaller meals. Her brother is on weaned rats/small mice and she is still on rat pinkies/mice peach fuzzies.

Keep track of when you feed and when the regurge happens.