PDA

View Full Version : IS this Ok for a shed?

IS this Ok for a shed?

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
OK, here's the deal. I went to get Kaa out to feed him Sunday, and noticed his skin was flaking off. So, I decided not to feed himt his week to give him a chance to shed. I don't want regurges or anything. Now, is it OK that his skin isn't coming off in one piece? I gave him a moist hide and gave the terrarium a slight spritzing, so I hope that will help. DOes that sound OK? I totally missed him going blue somehow. Oh, and how much do they usually grow with each shed? Thanks so much!

Maize411
02-14-2008, 12:45 AM
The amount of growth in each shed differs from snake to snake...so it's hard to tell..as for the shedding concern..The moist hide and spraying the tank was a good move..check up on him tomorrow to see how far along he is..If he still has skin on him I would suggest a small quick warm bath to wet the remaining skin..put a piece of paper towl in the small amount of water and let him slither around...the remaining skin should all come off..

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
OK, thank you, I'll do that

Nanci
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
If his skin is flaking off, he is already shedding. Shedding shouldn't go on for days- there is a problem. Do this:

http://tinyurl.com/29hqmz

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
OK, he is sitting next to me soaking now. I thought it took a few days for them to shed, I didn't know it was supposed to happen so fast. I feel so bad now, it must be uncomfortable having that stuff on him. Now, the fact that he is climbing the side of his soaking container, is that a problem? And what do I do if it doesn't work?

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, he soaked, but I'm not sure how much it helped. I have him slithering in a moist rough wash cloth right now. The skin looks a little wrinkled and seems looser, but none has come off.

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
OK, it looks like everything is off. He was squirming through the wash cloth over and over, and finally it caught and he just slithered out, it was so cool! It came off in three pieces, but I'm 99.999% sure that everything is off, including the tail tip. Thanks so much for the help, we really appreciate it!!!! He looks so handsome in his new skin!!!

sbourget
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Spur had some trouble with his last shed, so what I did was took a towel, placed it on my lap, placed spur on the towel, then covered him up with the wash cloth, this gave him a sense of security while softenning the skin, then he took his time and started to work at his nose under the wash cloth and soon was sliding out of the old skin. A word of caution, don't try to physically peel back the skin, you could do injury, just let it come off on its own as he moves, holding it in place once he's started shedding it and he's working his way out won't hurt, it would be the same as if he caught the shed on something, just don't pick at it. Here's hoping that the soaking will have that skin coming right off.

sbourget
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks like I was a couple minutes to long in writing my response. lol. congrats on the good shed. so long as the eyes and tail tip are off any other little bits should be rubbed off naturally as he moves about his enclosure.

GlitterFlame89
02-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I figured out on my own not to pick and rub. I started to ty it but I could just tell that wasn't the way to go. So, I just wrapped the towel around him pretty tightly and let him work his way out. That way the skin caught and he worked it off easily.

Nanci
02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I had a weird shedding experience last night. I saw Choco, a big adult Cali King was finally out, and she looked like she had shed. She's my favorite, so I took her out. And there's her shed, balled up around her "waist!" So I just sprayed her with the water bottle I'd been misting her viv with, and she crawled right out of her skin.

Glad the soak did the trick!