PDA

View Full Version : Picking which end to eat first

Picking which end to eat first

omni
02-16-2008, 04:57 AM
:rofl:LOL, I have a 'butt-muncher'! Yesterday at feeding, I gave a hopper to Slicky. First, he came up to it and started pressing his nose on the head, stomach, down the back, and then bit the head and let go. He had to know it was good for him first smell at the head. He let go and smelled around, moving towards the tail and once there, he chomped down and finished it off.

Really funny watching him pick which end to eat first. Mostly, my snakes end up grabbing in the middle and just work it around until one end or the other goes in. Slicky seems to size it up first and pick the tail end to start on. I was like, "Oh no... he's one of those butt-munchers I read about" chucklechuckle

Susielea
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the "Butt munchers" club!

As long as he's eating it's all good!

alan
02-16-2008, 04:03 PM
As long as it stays down who cares which direction it points?
The funny part is the "mouse face inside snake face" look.

PAIN
02-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Maximus carries its food like a bone(in the middle) for a min or 2 around the feeding box.

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
I have a king snake that has done that to several pinkies... she is not a very good hunter at all, but hey, she eats a ton. I dunno about you, but I would want to finish off the head last as if you fed them live prey, it typically ejaculates and defecates... not a pleasant after-taste I would imagine ;)

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I have a king snake that has done that to several pinkies... she is not a very good hunter at all, but hey, she eats a ton. I dunno about you, but I would want to finish off the head last as if you fed them live prey, it typically ejaculates and defecates... not a pleasant after-taste I would imagine ;)
Ejaculates? I know they empty their bladders, but I've never seen 'em get that excited. Either way I've not felt the need to try live-feeding myself a mouse:shrugs:

TWGarland
02-18-2008, 07:49 AM
diamondlil

Ejaculates? I know they empty their bladders, but I've never seen 'em get that excited. Either way I've not felt the need to try live-feeding myself a mouse

Diamondil don't feed yourself a mouse under any circumstances :laugh01:

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Diamondil don't feed yourself a mouse under any circumstances :laugh01:
:rofl: I'm not planning to!

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Ejaculates? I know they empty their bladders, but I've never seen 'em get that excited. Either way I've not felt the need to try live-feeding myself a mouse:shrugs:

Its a simple biological mechanism. Humans are the same (as are most mammals). Basically your body thinks, "why not?" Its got nothing to lose at this point ;) It has nothing to do with sexual arousal.

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Its a simple biological mechanism. Humans are the same (as are most mammals). Basically your body thinks, "why not?" Its got nothing to lose at this point ;) It has nothing to do with sexual arousal.
Do you have a link to that info?
From a purely anecdotal standpoint, I've culled quite a few feeder rodents now, using cervical dislocation, and while they definitely do defecate and urinate, I've never been aware of any ejaculate.
As for humans, I'm a senior staff nurse and carry the crash team bleep quite often. So I've attended many human deaths, either peacefully with patients who are on morphine pumps, or less peacefully due to cardiac arrest, massive haemmorhage, respiratory failure or other causes. Again, during a cardiac arrest vomiting, voiding of bladder and bowels is usual, but I've never seen evidence of ejaculation when we've performed last offices and cleaned the patient afterwards whether the've undergone cardiac resus and defibrillation or not.

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I didn't read it on the internet. It was discussed in one of my first year psych classes.

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I didn't read it on the internet. It was discussed in one of my first year psych classes.
Discussed and backed up how? I've still got my Psychology degree course books, plus quite a collection of anatomy and physiology books, so I'll have to see if I can find anything to agree with your assertion. I just did a quick search and couldnt find anything on-line at all.:shrugs:
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just surprised by your claim.

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I found this online: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/109929910/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

"... weighing about 300 g, were killed by cervical dislocation; the ejaculate, released during the contractions accompanying the animal’s death ..."

Unfortunately I can't get the article and I won't buy into it till I read their methodology section. I found other anecdotal evidence for humans that says "sometimes." Next time I run into him, I will ask him for evidence. He is a powerful researcher that has evidence for everything he has ever said in class and has produced empirical evidence anytime I have questioned him, so I am sure he will back up (or clarify) what he said.

No worries. I am not into sticking my head in the sand and believing that everything I know is true. I want to know the REAL truth and if that means I am wrong, or my previous beliefs are, then so be it :)

As Nietzsche once wrote: "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." :)

Roy Munson
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
In medical terms, "ejaculate" (noun) can be generic for anything ejected from a living body. It's not limited to semen, although the specific definition is to eject semen in orgasm.

http://medical.merriam-webster.com/medical/ejaculate

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
:shrugs:I know what you mean, Dean, but I thought that Lokheed was specifically referring to ejaculation of semen at the moment of death. I honestly haven't ever seen evidence or heard of it as an anecdote duing cardiac arrest, which is why I asked where his info came from. Other body fluids, yes, but not that one.

Roy Munson
02-18-2008, 06:50 PM
:shrugs:I know what you mean, Dean, but I thought that Lokheed was specifically referring to ejaculation of semen at the moment of death. I honestly haven't ever seen evidence or heard of it as an anecdote duing cardiac arrest, which is why I asked where his info came from. Other body fluids, yes, but not that one.Maybe he was referring specifically to that. :shrugs: I was just hoping to clarify the usage in case he, or anyone else, may have misinterpreted something they'd read or heard. :)

diamondlil
02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Basically your body thinks, "why not?" Its got nothing to lose at this point ;) It has nothing to do with sexual arousal.
This is the quote that made me think he didn't mean other fluids. But if he only heard it in a lecture, pehaps it was meant in the wider sense after all.

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 08:07 PM
:shrugs:I know what you mean, Dean, but I thought that Lokheed was specifically referring to ejaculation of semen at the moment of death.

Yep, referring solely to semen. It was widely known that people defecate upon death.

Lokheed
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
This is the quote that made me think he didn't mean other fluids. But if he only heard it in a lecture, pehaps it was meant in the wider sense after all.

Nope, not meant in the wider sense of it all. My prof was strictly referring to semen being ejaculated by the male. The only thing I can think of is that he wasn't referring to humans or was referring to one specific species, but that seems unlikely. Again, I'll ask him next time I see him. For now, people can take how they want I suppose ;)

wade
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I have had near death experiences on three occasions. Car accident, mountain climbing accident, and ATV accident. (I'm not clumsy, I just play hard) During each of those times, there have been all kinds of things go through my mind. I have to admit however, ejaculation has not been very high on the list. Maybe it's cause I have never gone all the way. (to death I mean)

diamondlil
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Wade, you've got more experience culling feeders than me, did you ever notice any evidence of ejaculate from them at death?

wade
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
No I have not seen mouse ejaculate or even evidence that the mouse was giving it any thought. I have used cervical dislocation, carbon dioxide, and OH you little ****, dashed into the wall. In none of those cases did the deceased find it arousing in any way.

Just my experience.

diamondlil
02-20-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm wondering if it was a reference to Freudian thanatos theory. I did a BSc in psychology so we only did a brief overview on the unprovable stuff.

MerlinsPop
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Seems to me that Janine can avoid all this concern if she'd just feed herself a female mouse.

<ducking>

diamondlil
02-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Seems to me that Janine can avoid all this concern if she'd just feed herself a female mouse.

<ducking>

:eek: I'll cull them, freeze them, thaw them, even puree them for the sake of snakies, but I'm not doing that!

Susielea
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I'll cull them, freeze them, thaw them, even puree them for the sake of snakies, but I'm not doing that!

Don't ask me why, but that reminded me of a line from a song by Meatloaf, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that!"

Sorry couldn't resist......

Roy Munson
02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Time to call quits on this thread. I've never seen a butt-muncher thread go so stupidly wrong. I've conducted about 5,000+ live feedings in my life, and I've whacked about 500 against the wall. I've never seen anything but a golden drop of one-last-piss to mark the passing of the poor mice. It's another dumb and unsubstantiated theory. It's not worthy of consideration or discussion. It's just stupid. If there's evidence, then prove me wrong. And I'll need something more than a dead/incomplete link...