• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dehydration

Widget

Putting this here since its the most logical place to look for it even though its about one of my kings.

So...how can you tell if your snake is dehydrated? What are the signs?

Columbine skin looks a bit wrinkled along her neck and she seems a bit lethargic (only tail rattled at me, no striking, limited musking). She hasn't eaten for me yet, which makes it about 3 weeks since her last feeding I'm guessing. She's still refusing F/T. Temps good, humidity good. I've seen her drink since I've gotten her on a couple of occasions so I know she knows were her water dish is. Nice quite room with no disturbances. She doesn't seem stressed/sick, just off.

Thanks everyone,

Could be getting ready to shed? It sounds like she's drinking and humidity is good. I saw this post yesterday, I've kept Cali kingsnakes before but not as knowledgeable about those as some, so I thought someone else may know more. The not eating and wrinklyness kinda sounds like it could be shed cycle related.

I think her not eating has more to do with the fact that she's always been fed live and I'm offering F/T...she looks at me with that look of "you want me to eat that?? It's dead...yuck". I'm going to try her again tonight, then Saturday I'll pick her up a live pink.

Humidity has been a bit low lately, so I misted everyone last night. We'll see what happens. She doesn't look dull and I haven't seen her blue, but its possible.

Shannon,
Kings can be fussy eaters. Cal Kings in the wild eat lizards and snakes. I think the first thing I would do is lizard scent a pinky and see if that will help. Then try tuna juice or chicken broth but the lizard scent is going to be the ticket. If you have to go to the pet store and buy an anole or a house gecko for cheap. See if they have a return policy, maybe you can take it back in a week.

Unfortunately, she passed away sometime today while I was at work. She seemed ok this morning. I've contacted the breeder to see what I need to do from here. The male is his usually cranky self and struck at me no less then 6 times while I was moving him to the feeding tub, then the side of the tub a few more times just to make sure I got the point on how he feels about me.

Both are Aug 07 babies who have been eating live mice. I was working on converting her to f/t. The male seems willing to eat anything in front of him, including me.

I'm sorry :(
I picked up a little Cali King last March that ended up passing away also, but in my case the snake was tiny, she ate once or twice for me then died for no apparent reason. I kinda figured because it was a runt that wouldn't have made it in the wild. It's the worst when you find a snake dead. I was so bummed...

sorry to hear that !

I dont think you need to keep them humid .It is really dry air here,the only time is maybe when they are about to lay eggs of course they need a nice moist spot. In fact, when the female kings are gravid here, they are really easy to find ,cause they go frantically looking for somewhere to lay there eggs. as with my experience with them they are very easy to care for.The only thing is they can escape very well! I may catch a few this year and would be willing to send you one if you want!

Thanks. I'm wondering if maybe something happened too her in shipping. She seemed fine up until last night, even then she didn't seem sick, just calmer then usual. Was flicking her tongue and exploring a bit. I was pretty surprised to find her dead. The short time she was missing meals doesn't seem to fit. I've seen babies go much longer and be in much worse shape and still be fine.

Who knows...sometimes it happens and you move on.

Back