PDA

View Full Version : week seven

week seven

xerxes
02-20-2008, 08:08 PM
okay, so this is the seventh week that xerxes has refused food. i have no clue whats wrong. at first i thought it was because of shedding, then he shed and still didnt eat. then i thought that it is mating season so i thought that that might be the problem. but its been seven weeks and he's starting to worry me. he wont move at all for a long time. when i went to check up on him yesterday he had been on the warm side all day, when i touched him, he was very warm. i moved him closer to the middle of the tank just because i thought it mignt help. then he moved to the cold side and stayed there all day. when i got him out to show to my friend, he was so cold that when i put him back my arm felt like i took an ice pack off of it. i also noticed that he looks skinnier than he used to be. i dont know whats going on but any help/advice would be awesome.

Hunter2011
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Awww, poor thing, I hope that you figure out what's wrong with him.

susang
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Have you tried everything, live rat pups work sometimes? I can say my two males are in the mating mode and refusing food, but they are in constant motion. My male last year ate twice in two + months, but he rarely stopped moving.

Fenderplayer108
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Check out this article I wrote on feeding problems.

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42403&highlight=feeding+problems+guide

xerxes
02-21-2008, 12:15 AM
i have always fed him live adult mice, one a week. i have offered him an adult live one or more times a week for the past seven weeks. i also have some hoppers that i kinda got by accident. i tried to put one of those in there but he still doesn't act interested. would a dead mouse somehow be more appetizing than a live one? I'm perfectly willing to kill one of the mice myself if that means that he'll eat it. any more info you need just ask, this lil problem has made it hard for me to concentrate on my schoolwork. i'll do almost anything

Fenderplayer108
02-21-2008, 08:04 AM
i have always fed him live adult mice, one a week. i have offered him an adult live one or more times a week for the past seven weeks. i also have some hoppers that i kinda got by accident. i tried to put one of those in there but he still doesn't act interested. would a dead mouse somehow be more appetizing than a live one? I'm perfectly willing to kill one of the mice myself if that means that he'll eat it. any more info you need just ask, this lil problem has made it hard for me to concentrate on my schoolwork. i'll do almost anything

After 5 days of no handling, place the snake in a container with a lid, and place the mouse in the container with the snake. Place the snake in a dark room, (Like a cabinet, or a closet) and leave it in there overnight. That way the snake feels secure, and not nervous about eating. Only do this with a pre-killed mouse, or f/t mouse, don't ever leave a live mouse in with a snake unattended.

TWGarland
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
I'd also add to what everyone else has said, not to worry too much, 7 weeks without food for an adult corn snake is not very long, especially as it is still breeding season, alot of adult males go through month long fasts in this period.

Also why worry about your snake feeling very cold to the touch if you know what your temperatures are? See what i mean?, If you know the cold side temperture gets no lower than about 20 degrees celscious then you've got nothing to worry about in that respect :shrugs:

Good luck with getting it eating again :)
Tom

Talinea
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi!
Excuse the simple question, but have you considered visiting a vet?

Perhaps your snake is kind of ill, one of mine had a serious bacterial infection that wasn't visible in any way until the vet made a test.

Even seven weeks of hunger won't let to starvation, but it bothers me that Xerxes doesn't move if touched/let in a too warm or cold place.
A healthy animal should avoid being to hot or cold.

If you can afford it (and haven't already done it) take him to a Vet...!

Greetings & much luck,
Talinea

xerxes
02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
yes i have consitered it, but i was hoping i wouldnt have to. the nearest vet with any experience is a little ways away in a larger city (i dont like driving through trafic) if he doesnt eat soon i'll try check with them. thanks for all your help.

Ollie218
02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Good luck!

my corn is going through the same type of thing right now and im getting really worried! let me know how you get Xerxes to eat!

Lennycorn
02-24-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd also add to what everyone else has said, not to worry too much, 7 weeks without food for an adult corn snake is not very long, especially as it is still breeding season, alot of adult males go through month long fasts in this period.

My amel pulled that trick last year this time, for three months.
I was worried to death the whole time.

when i went to check up on him yesterday he had been on the warm side all day, when i touched him, he was very warm. i moved him closer to the middle of the tank just because i thought it mignt help. then he moved to the cold side and stayed there all day. when i got him out to show to my friend, he was so cold that when i put him back my arm felt like i took an ice pack off of it. i also noticed that he looks skinnier than he used to be. i dont know whats going on but any help/advice would be awesome.

This part make me wonder.
To the touch, the snake should feel on the cool side.
Temps not being above 85 and all.
What are they on the warm side and what are you using to read them with??