• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can someone give an opinion on this feeding schedule

jnisme

We adopted Sliver when she was just a baby, maybe 6-8 weeks old (just a guess). I did my research, and have tried to stick with it pretty religously. I did goof at first and tried to feed her every day for the first 4 days, with no luck. Our girl seems to be doing well, but doesn't seem very active (getting a bit more lately, but not a whole lot). Her tank has a heat pad and light that keeps the warm end around 75 deg F. She also seems to prefer the cold end, but that could be because the hide on that end is smaller. I'm just wanting to make sure that this looks about right. We haven't ever weighed her, but she is definately growing. TIA for your thoughts.

Sliver's Schedule
Adopted Oct 7, 2007 22 gal aquarium divided with cardboard
Date Fed Shed Skin Regurg?

10/13/07 1 pinkie brained
10/20/07 1 pinkie brained
10/25/07 shed skin
10/25/07 1 pinkie brained
10/31/07 1 pinkie brained
11/05/07 1 pinkie brained
11/10/07 1 pinkie brained
11/16/07 1 pinkie brained
11/19/07 shed skin
11/21/07 1 pinkie
11/23/07 1 pinkie
11/27/07 1 pinkie
12/01/07 1 pinkie
12/04/07 2 pinkies
12/08/07 1 pinkie
12/10/07 shed skin
12/14/07 2 pinkies
12/18/07 1 pinkie
12/22/07 2 pinkies
12/27/08 1 pinkie
01/01/08 2 pinkies
01/06/08 2 pinkies
01/08/08 shed skin Opened up full space on 22 gal aquarium (she kept sneaking over there anyways and we'd find her curled up and fairly cool)
01/12/08 2 pinkies
01/18/08 1 pinkie
01/24/08 2 pinkies
01/30/08 2 pinkies
02/07/08 shed skin
02/08/08 1 peach fuzzy
02/16/08 2 pinkies
02/23/08 1 fuzzy

Have you been weighing her? It much easier to track a snakes progression by looking at their weights rather than looking at how often they are fed.

Oh and her warm end is a bit cool... The optimum temperature for corns is a 70-75 cool end and 80-85 warm end. She probably takes a long time to digest in the temperatures she is provided with...

Have you switched to every seven days? I might stick with every five days till she's on hoppers or small mice. I switch mine over to once a week when they are over 200 grams.

Thanks for the advice. I will definately look at upping the temperatures a little, as well as going back to about 5 days for a couple more months. Also, I haven't been weighing her (wish I had been, if for no other reason than just plain being curious), but will start after she digests todays meal.

Before you go trying to up her temps a bit, how are you measuring the temperature?
Is it with a digital thermometer with a probe, that is placed directly on the glass over the heat mat? Or are you using one of the dial or stick on thermometers placed on the wall of the vivarium?

If you are using the dial or stick on thermometers, they are nearly always inaccurate and being placed on the wall of the vivarium they are reading the ambient air temperature, not the belly heat she is receiving from the heat mat.
If you get a digital thermometer with probe and place the probe directly on the glass above the heat mat, you may just find the temperature at the warm end is well above the recommended 80 - 85 F and this could be why she is spending all her time in the cooler end. Therefore you will have to lower, not raise the temps. You may also find you won't need the lamp as well as the heat mat.

The feeding schedule looks pretty good but as Nanci said you might want to keep feeding at 5 - 6 day intervals until she's on hoppers or small mice.

Hope that helps some, best wishes,

Back